Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:28 AM   #1
jonomo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Cool and fun things to do w your old iPhone

I wanted to get some ideas on cool and fun things people are doing with their old iPhones. Please try not to mention recycling, passing it down, selling or anything like that.

Here are some ideas I had.

1. Dedicated black box for my car. I've been looking at some apps for this.
2. Alarm clock
3. MP3 and music streaming device connected to some speakers

Any other good ideas?
jonomo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:31 AM   #2
sundog925
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
SELL IT. it then becomes MONEY.

best use everrrrr.
sundog925 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:37 AM   #3
kannesss
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonomo View Post
I wanted to get some ideas on cool and fun things people are doing with their old iPhones. Please try not to mention recycling, passing it down, selling or anything like that.

Here are some ideas I had.

1. Dedicated black box for my car. I've been looking at some apps for this.
2. Alarm clock
3. MP3 and music streaming device connected to some speakers

Any other good ideas?
What exactly do you mean black box for your car? That's really weird like a planes black box?
Why would you need that in your car?
kannesss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:03 AM   #4
kylera
macrumors 6502a
 
kylera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seoul
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannesss View Post
What exactly do you mean black box for your car? That's really weird like a planes black box?
Why would you need that in your car?
I don't know about where the OP is located, but here in Korea, a black box for cars refers to video recording devices for the front, back or both. The primary use is for recording accidents.
__________________
Current Macs: 2012 13" MBA | 2011 27" iMac | PowerBook G4 12" | eMac 700Mhz
Current iOS: iPad 4 3G 64GB | iPhone 4S 16GB
kylera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:07 AM   #5
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040
 
bandofbrothers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylera View Post
I don't know about where the OP is located, but here in Korea, a black box for cars refers to video recording devices for the front, back or both. The primary use is for recording accidents.
If you leave it connected to a network i suppose you could use the findmyiphone app.
__________________
MacBook Air 11 Core i5 1.6GHz 4GB 128GB 1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5.

iPhone 5s 16GB Space Grey - iOS 7.1.2
iPad Air 16GB Space Grey. - iOS 7.1.2
bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:26 AM   #6
Wuiffi
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Austria
I think what he means is, that it's recording a video and got an app installed that (in case of an accident) automatically calls 911. I have read that there are apps that are capable of doing that (at least on other platforms)
Wuiffi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:08 PM   #7
jonomo
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylera View Post
I don't know about where the OP is located, but here in Korea, a black box for cars refers to video recording devices for the front, back or both. The primary use is for recording accidents.
You are absolutely correct.. I too live in Korea and alot of people here (as well as in Singapore) have a little device that records your driving to document accidents. Korea is the capital of car accidents, so they'll even lower your insurance rate if you have such a device.

I've seen some apps for it, but most of them require 3G access because it does extra features like calling 911 for you and stuff. All I would want is something that powered up and started when I start the car, save and turn off when I shut the car down.
jonomo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:12 PM   #8
ineedamac
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonomo View Post
3. MP3 and music streaming device connected to some speakers
I like this idea. My iPhone 4 is now connected to a set of speakers in my house. I use it for the iPod, stream music from Pandora and a local radio station.
ineedamac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:09 PM   #9
neilpatel2009
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonomo View Post
Korea is the capital of car accidents
LOL! Asian Drivers FTW!
neilpatel2009 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:18 PM   #10
qawsed27
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Gg
qawsed27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:18 PM   #11
Nolander07
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I just kept my iphone 4 and my kids use it as an iPod touch. It still has wifi and apps, just no cellular connection. My wife wants me to sell it though.
Nolander07 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:35 AM   #12
jayenh
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
4. Take it to a nice big lake and see how far you can skim it.
jayenh is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:23 AM   #13
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Play football with it
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:46 PM   #14
kylera
macrumors 6502a
 
kylera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seoul
This isn't quite an iPhone but I use my now-unused iPod Touch as my dedicated Nike Training Club platform, given how it doesn't let me turn the screen off and prevent unnecessary battery drainage.
__________________
Current Macs: 2012 13" MBA | 2011 27" iMac | PowerBook G4 12" | eMac 700Mhz
Current iOS: iPad 4 3G 64GB | iPhone 4S 16GB
kylera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:51 PM   #15
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolander07 View Post
I just kept my iphone 4 and my kids use it as an iPod touch. It still has wifi and apps, just no cellular connection. My wife wants me to sell it though.
Your wife is smart
Applejuiced is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:02 PM   #16
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonomo View Post
You are absolutely correct.. I too live in Korea and alot of people here (as well as in Singapore) have a little device that records your driving to document accidents. Korea is the capital of car accidents, so they'll even lower your insurance rate if you have such a device.

I've seen some apps for it, but most of them require 3G access because it does extra features like calling 911 for you and stuff. All I would want is something that powered up and started when I start the car, save and turn off when I shut the car down.
keep us updated if you get this to work. I'd like to implement something very similar in a year when I have an extra iPhone laying around (right now just have two samsung galaxy S phones).

I do use my galaxy S as a meda player. I'll stream pandora on it when I can connect to the office next doors wifi.
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:43 PM   #17
jonomo
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
keep us updated if you get this to work. I'd like to implement something very similar in a year when I have an extra iPhone laying around (right now just have two samsung galaxy S phones).

I do use my galaxy S as a meda player. I'll stream pandora on it when I can connect to the office next doors wifi.
If your Galaxy can push out to HDMI then it can be used as a pretty nice game console. Get some controllers you hook up via bluetooth and hook it up to your TV. There are some cool console replicators that'll let you play old Nintendo games and stuff..
jonomo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:32 AM   #18
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonomo View Post
If your Galaxy can push out to HDMI then it can be used as a pretty nice game console. Get some controllers you hook up via bluetooth and hook it up to your TV. There are some cool console replicators that'll let you play old Nintendo games and stuff..
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to look into it. My galaxy S (orig.) is kind of antiquated.
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:56 AM   #19
donrsd
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedamac View Post
I like this idea. My iPhone 4 is now connected to a set of speakers in my house. I use it for the iPod, stream music from Pandora and a local radio station.
Want to sell that iPhone 4 to me and Ill give you a few bucks & a 3GS?
PM me
__________________
PSN: DonVCorleone
The U - NY Mets - NY Giants - Miami Heat

Quote Me So I Am Notified
donrsd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:21 AM   #20
ShuffleShot
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
 
sell it for $250 and spend the money on apps!!!
ShuffleShot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:31 AM   #21
robopath
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonomo View Post
You are absolutely correct.. I too live in Korea and alot of people here (as well as in Singapore) have a little device that records your driving to document accidents. Korea is the capital of car accidents, so they'll even lower your insurance rate if you have such a device.

I've seen some apps for it, but most of them require 3G access because it does extra features like calling 911 for you and stuff. All I would want is something that powered up and started when I start the car, save and turn off when I shut the car down.
In the US, 911 works without service and without even a sim. I keep my 3G and 3GS in our cars with games, movies, and (most importantly) Tomtom. An old iphone with tomtom and a charger is a full function GPS with the ability to call in an emergency.
robopath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:28 AM   #22
jonomo
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
I was also thinking of a telepresence robot... but it doesn't have a forward facing camera

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/10/hel...-telepresence/
jonomo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fun things to do with IR remotes? (Tenth Doctors Universal Remote Control!) Dr Kevorkian94 Community Discussion 2 Nov 22, 2013 09:35 AM
iFind it Fun - Simple, Little Fun mental skill Games! Gyonen iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Dec 25, 2012 12:01 AM
Funky Smugglers - cool music, humorous style, endless arcade fun 11bit iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Oct 15, 2012 03:56 PM
Cool things to do with the aging iPod Classic silverjam iPod 36 Sep 14, 2012 12:23 PM
Fun to Make Fun yeah? Yes! vpro MacBook Pro 2 Sep 8, 2012 12:39 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC