Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:28 AM   #1
jonomo
macrumors regular

Cool and fun things to do w your old iPhone

I wanted to get some ideas on cool and fun things people are doing with their old iPhones. Please try not to mention recycling, passing it down, selling or anything like that.

Here are some ideas I had.

1. Dedicated black box for my car. I've been looking at some apps for this.
2. Alarm clock
3. MP3 and music streaming device connected to some speakers

Any other good ideas?
jonomo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:31 AM   #2
sundog925
macrumors 6502

SELL IT. it then becomes MONEY.

best use everrrrr.
sundog925 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:37 AM   #3
kannesss
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonomo View Post
I wanted to get some ideas on cool and fun things people are doing with their old iPhones. Please try not to mention recycling, passing it down, selling or anything like that.

Here are some ideas I had.

1. Dedicated black box for my car. I've been looking at some apps for this.
2. Alarm clock

Any other good ideas?
What exactly do you mean black box for your car? That's really weird like a planes black box?
Why would you need that in your car?
kannesss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:03 AM   #4
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannesss View Post
What exactly do you mean black box for your car? That's really weird like a planes black box?
Why would you need that in your car?
I don't know about where the OP is located, but here in Korea, a black box for cars refers to video recording devices for the front, back or both. The primary use is for recording accidents.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:07 AM   #5
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylera View Post
I don't know about where the OP is located, but here in Korea, a black box for cars refers to video recording devices for the front, back or both. The primary use is for recording accidents.
If you leave it connected to a network i suppose you could use the findmyiphone app.

iPhone 5s 16GB Space Grey - iOS 7.1.2
iPad Air 16GB Space Grey. - iOS 7.1.2
bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:26 AM   #6
Wuiffi
macrumors 6502a

I think what he means is, that it's recording a video and got an app installed that (in case of an accident) automatically calls 911. I have read that there are apps that are capable of doing that (at least on other platforms)
Wuiffi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:08 PM   #7
jonomo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylera View Post
You are absolutely correct.. I too live in Korea and alot of people here (as well as in Singapore) have a little device that records your driving to document accidents. Korea is the capital of car accidents, so they'll even lower your insurance rate if you have such a device.

I've seen some apps for it, but most of them require 3G access because it does extra features like calling 911 for you and stuff. All I would want is something that powered up and started when I start the car, save and turn off when I shut the car down.
jonomo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:12 PM   #8
ineedamac
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I like this idea. My iPhone 4 is now connected to a set of speakers in my house. I use it for the iPod, stream music from Pandora and a local radio station.
ineedamac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:09 PM   #9
neilpatel2009
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Korea is the capital of car accidents
LOL! Asian Drivers FTW!
neilpatel2009 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:18 PM   #10
qawsed27
macrumors member

Gg
qawsed27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:18 PM   #11
Nolander07
macrumors 6502

I just kept my iphone 4 and my kids use it as an iPod touch. It still has wifi and apps, just no cellular connection. My wife wants me to sell it though.
Nolander07 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:35 AM   #12
jayenh
macrumors 6502

4. Take it to a nice big lake and see how far you can skim it.
jayenh is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:23 AM   #13
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Play football with it
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:46 PM   #14
kylera
macrumors 6502a

This isn't quite an iPhone but I use my now-unused iPod Touch as my dedicated Nike Training Club platform, given how it doesn't let me turn the screen off and prevent unnecessary battery drainage.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:51 PM   #15
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolander07 View Post
I just kept my iphone 4 and my kids use it as an iPod touch. It still has wifi and apps, just no cellular connection. My wife wants me to sell it though.
Your wife is smart
Applejuiced is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:02 PM   #16
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You are absolutely correct.. I too live in Korea and alot of people here (as well as in Singapore) have a little device that records your driving to document accidents. Korea is the capital of car accidents, so they'll even lower your insurance rate if you have such a device.

I've seen some apps for it, but most of them require 3G access because it does extra features like calling 911 for you and stuff. All I would want is something that powered up and started when I start the car, save and turn off when I shut the car down.
keep us updated if you get this to work. I'd like to implement something very similar in a year when I have an extra iPhone laying around (right now just have two samsung galaxy S phones).

I do use my galaxy S as a meda player. I'll stream pandora on it when I can connect to the office next doors wifi.
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:43 PM   #17
jonomo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
keep us updated if you get this to work. I'd like to implement something very similar in a year when I have an extra iPhone laying around (right now just have two samsung galaxy S phones).

I do use my galaxy S as a meda player. I'll stream pandora on it when I can connect to the office next doors wifi.
If your Galaxy can push out to HDMI then it can be used as a pretty nice game console. Get some controllers you hook up via bluetooth and hook it up to your TV. There are some cool console replicators that'll let you play old Nintendo games and stuff..
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:32 AM   #18
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
If your Galaxy can push out to HDMI then it can be used as a pretty nice game console. Get some controllers you hook up via bluetooth and hook it up to your TV. There are some cool console replicators that'll let you play old Nintendo games and stuff..
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to look into it. My galaxy S (orig.) is kind of antiquated.
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:56 AM   #19
donrsd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedamac View Post
I like this idea. My iPhone 4 is now connected to a set of speakers in my house. I use it for the iPod, stream music from Pandora and a local radio station.
Want to sell that iPhone 4 to me and Ill give you a few bucks & a 3GS?
PM me

Quote Me So I Am Notified
donrsd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:21 AM   #20
ShuffleShot
macrumors newbie

sell it for $250 and spend the money on apps!!!
ShuffleShot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:31 AM   #21
robopath
macrumors member

Quote:

In the US, 911 works without service and without even a sim. I keep my 3G and 3GS in our cars with games, movies, and (most importantly) Tomtom. An old iphone with tomtom and a charger is a full function GPS with the ability to call in an emergency.
robopath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:28 AM   #22
jonomo
macrumors regular

I was also thinking of a telepresence robot... but it doesn't have a forward facing camera

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/10/hel...-telepresence/

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone