Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Anyone sell their iPad on one of those cash websites? how'd it go?

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Nope. Sold mine to Amazon for what equates to store credit. Plan on doing my Christmas shopping on there. Amazon dinged me $40 because of what they claim were "light scratches." Boo.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Gazelle seems to be popular and I did used them for my iPhone 4 and got what they promised

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Gazelle seems to be popular and I did used them for my iPhone 4 and got what they promised

I've used Gazelle as well for iPhones and iPads. They quote you a price which is good for 30 days I believe. Even if the price goes down the price on your quote stays the same provided you send in your device before the time expires. If you are honest about the condition of your device you get exactly what they promised. Shortly after they get your device and inspect it they immediately send you a check. Just recently sold them my iPad 2. Glad to be getting my price quote as the price dropped 2 or 3 times (closer to the iPad Mini launch).

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
If these companies change the quote once they get your device do you have the option of having the device mailed back?

Thanks

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Bad Business

If these companies change the quote once they get your device do you have the option of having the device mailed back?

Thanks

Sounds like a dishonest practice. Who does that?

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
Sounds like a dishonest practice. Who does that?

Don't know. I tried to find the info. so I thought I would ask. Maybe I should have asked, what is the procedure?

Last edited:

gsampson85

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008

Thanks

eBay did this to me. Promised me 400 or so for my iPhone 4 and once they got it told me they would only give me $100! Device was like new with all accessories and box. Even had a full body invisible shield.

Good thing, they sent it back to me for free.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Got quotes from eBay & Gazelle for my iPad 3. EBay was the most generous but decided it was too soon to take such a huge loss on a perfectly fine device.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You say most generous, I'd say less stingy. And I agree with you on staying put on my 3.

Yeah, I was being facetious. But Apple trimming $100 off new 3s didn't help either. Apple is selling "refurb" 64GB ATT 3rd gens for $679 so best you can hope to sell a used one on eBay is probably $625 - 12% is misc fees - free shipping = $535 walkout. eBay was offering me $500 so not that terrible of an offer considering. Gazelle was downright insulting at $450.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Got quotes from eBay & Gazelle for my iPad 3. EBay was the most generous but decided it was too soon to take such a huge loss on a perfectly fine device.

Cool! I didn't know that eBay bought used devices. Do they also pay for shipping? How long before you receive your money from them?

drewfus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2006
Evanston, IL
With Gazelle, does your offer amount go down if you don't send in the charger? I got an offer on my iPad 3 just before the iPad event. Now...on Gazelle's FAQ page, it says that with iPhones, accessories don't affect payment, but with computers/displays, the accessories do affect it. It doesn't mention iPads at all.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
I live by a college. So Craigslist is my best sale option. Done sold me two MacBooks, an iPad, and a smoothly used Xbox. :)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Cool! I didn't know that eBay bought used devices. Do they also pay for shipping? How long before you receive your money from them?

They pay shipping. I didn't go through with the sale so can't say how quick payment is mailed out.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
eBay's Instant Sell

They pay shipping. I didn't go through with the sale so can't say how quick payment is mailed out.

Glad to hear that you were offered a good deal, although you didn't take it.
I checked eBay's instant sell (assuming that's what you used) and they were offering me way less than Gazelle. I also got an estimate for a Wii I traded in at GameStop for $70 and all they offered was $25. Guess, it's like spinning the wheel in the Wheel of Fortune. :)

----------

With Gazelle, does your offer amount go down if you don't send in the charger? I got an offer on my iPad 3 just before the iPad event. Now...on Gazelle's FAQ page, it says that with iPhones, accessories don't affect payment, but with computers/displays, the accessories do affect it. It doesn't mention iPads at all.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Don't know. I've always sent in the same stuff my device came with (charger and cable). Not sure if the, included, charger and cable are considered "accessories". Perhaps someone, here, sent in a "naked" device without the charger and cable to Gazelle and can provide an accurate answer.

Last edited:

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
it seems that these sites lowball you. its a cool service because its a fast sale but its only if your desperate for cash imho. its equivalent to a pawn shop basically.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
it seems that these sites lowball you. its a cool service because its a fast sale but its only if your desperate for cash imho. its equivalent to a pawn shop basically.

Yep. They'll give you $700 for a maxed out 17" macbook pro :eek:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Not sure if Mac of all trades does iPads, but they give a good amount more on laptops than gazelle

orangecrushv

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Dallas
I used Amazon for my iPhone 4 and have my iPad 2 all boxed up to be shipped today. Amazon gift cards are as good as cash to me and they beat gazelle by a good margin on both...

Forgot to mention, I submitted my phones as "good" condition and they bumped them up to "like new" and paid the higher amount to me...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.