Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:36 AM   #1
MrMacBookPro
macrumors 6502

ipad 3/ipad 4 Speed test..youtube

Jut found this about 30 min ago

judge for yourself.. the 4 is indeed a little faster according to the video but not by leaps and bounds.. Maybe a refurb 3 would be ideal to hold me over until the 5 comes out

Last edited by OllyW; Nov 3, 2012 at 05:43 AM. Reason: please use youtube tags
MrMacBookPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:44 AM   #2
KenAFSPC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMacBookPro View Post
Jut found this about 30 min ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMijuc5qX7M

judge for yourself.. the 4 is indeed a little faster according to the video but not by leaps and bounds.. Maybe a refurb 3 would be ideal to hold me over until the 5 comes out
If you skip to the end, you will see that he is having WiFi issues on his iPad 4. He got 4Mbps on his iPad 3 and 1.8Mbps on his iPad 4. Such Internet speeds will serve as a bottleneck in web pages and other network-enabled apps.

With my Asus RT-N66U router, the iPad 4 produces Speedtest results of 80-85Mbps with my FiOS Service (and 92Mbps when transferring files over the network). My iPad 3 maxes out at 35-40Mbps. My browsing experience, at least with my Internet connection and router, is very different from that shown in the video. Most sites load noticeably faster on the iPad 4. Other sites load the same (instantly) on both, but then the iPad 3 hangs for 0.5-2.0 seconds before I can do anything; there's no hang on the iPad 4.

As I stated before, I think Internet connection speed should be one factor (among many) in the decision of the iPad 4. If you only have 5Mbps Internet service, I suspect you will be constrained on most Internet sites by your Internet connection speed, rather than the processor on the iPad 3. Based on my router's performance monitoring graph, most web sites will load in the 40-50Mbps range if you have the ISP to support it.
KenAFSPC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:45 AM   #3
magnificent me
macrumors member

The 4th generation is 1-3/4 seconds and smoother but I can see why apple stopped selling the 3 and kept the 2.

Like said a million times by a lot of people speed is probably not the only reason why people upgraded from the 3. Most people want a better front facing camera and the lightning connector.

I am sure in more intense apps the ipad 4 would be better off.
magnificent me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:50 AM   #4
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

I love my iPad 4.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:56 AM   #5
DigitalJunior
macrumors member

I tried the iPad 4 yesterday at Trafford Centre and I already own a iPad 3.

Couldn't tell any difference whatsoever for a normal user.

It's only a very small % of users that compare the two will know which is which.
DigitalJunior is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:41 AM   #6
iEvolution
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnificent me View Post
The 4th generation is 1-3/4 seconds and smoother but I can see why apple stopped selling the 3 and kept the 2.

Like said a million times by a lot of people speed is probably not the only reason why people upgraded from the 3. Most people want a better front facing camera and the lightning connector.

I am sure in more intense apps the ipad 4 would be better off.
Find it hard to believe anyone would 'want' the lightning connector considering there are zero accessories compatible with it.
iEvolution is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:05 AM   #7
NYY FaN
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post
Find it hard to believe anyone would 'want' the lightning connector considering there are zero accessories compatible with it.
Well, lightning is here to stay so you're going to have to go with it at some point. Besides, accessories that require the connector aren't as prevalent as they are on the iPhone. I can see this argument being more valid for iPhones.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:06 AM   #8
clyde2801
macrumors 601

I suspect this was why the 4 was a sidenote in the iPad mini announcement. I also suspect that the "speedmark shows the new processor is twice as fast" looked better on the keynote page than "it boots 2 seconds faster" and "web pages load up to a second quicker"!

The 4 will probably have longer legs than the 3 due to the processor and probably be able to run new apps for a longer period of time. But with app developers wanting to make their wares as many people as possible, I suspect it will be a while before none but the biggest power users can tell an appreciable difference between the two. And by that time, we may be debating on whether we should get a new 6 or a refurbished 5!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:42 AM   #9
magnificent me
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post
Yeah I know what you mean but it just makes like easier when charging your iPhone 5... *rolls eyes*
magnificent me is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad