macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneriderltr450 View Post
Boom Box app?
Knick Knack is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:41 PM   #104
bowlerman625
macrumors 68020

I would not want a bigger iPhone than the 5.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:02 AM   #105
stonyboys
macrumors 6502

iP5 feels perfect in my hand, it fits perfectly width wise but the screen still doesn't feel small.
stonyboys is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:12 AM   #106
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

personally if the iphone gets any bigger, i wont be buying it.
4s was pefect for me (female - smaller hands)
but the 5 is lighter, and nice too.
numberforty1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:13 AM   #107
MBrandonLee
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBaloney View Post
If u don't like the iPhone 5's screen size, don't get an iPhone 5.

Plain and simple. Thread is useless
I hate comments like this. It's not that simple. Sometimes people like me would like to try out an iPhone and try out the apple ecosystem, but we wouldn't feel satisfied with a smaller screen than 4.3 or whatever.

I'm just saying it's more complex than "just pick a phone with a bigger screen."
MBrandonLee is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:59 AM   #108
modthispny
macrumors newbie

for a cell phone, IMO iphone 5 is about the perfect, size, maybe .2 inches longer, but the width is perfect imo. (if they can increase screen width and keep it as same total width of iphone 5, then i'm game)

ipad mini does fit incredible in your hand, but it's something that you place on a table, desk, etc, and not in your pocket which is why i don't think apple should increase the width of the iphone.
modthispny is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:14 AM   #109
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuseone View Post
just putting it out there. did you ever try putting a phone thats bigger than the iphone in your pocket you dont notice it much unless your wearing really tight pants. Also i feel they do need a bigger screen, which is the reason why i left iphone back when the 4s came out for the galaxy note. since im not making tons of phone calls and i mostly use it for the interent and texting and when i do make calls its normally on speaker couldn't see having such a tiny screen. Now thats not to say that i dont like the iphone i do like the operating system very much, and the way it works just not the screen size thats what turned me away.
I have and I did notice it, it was like a big bulge and it felt really uncomfortable. This was a friends galaxy note btw
tymaster50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:32 AM   #110
kannesss
Banned

like a note phone tablet thing? no thinks. they wont fit in my pockets
kannesss is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:44 AM   #111
Lampmeister
macrumors member

I'm not convinced that we need a bigger iPhone, but given the release of the iPad mini (also not "needed") I think it just might happen.
Lampmeister is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:22 AM   #112
KittyKatta
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampmeister View Post
I'm not convinced that we need a bigger iPhone, but given the release of the iPad mini (also not "needed") I think it just might happen.
A lot of people feel that the existence of a bigger iPhone means the elimination of the current size, but if the Mini tells us anything then its that the new Apple is now willing to splinter it's products in order to give it's end users options and take away sales from its competitors. And thats a good thing.

Its funny because only a few weeks ago then the iPad forum was filled with people declaring how "The iPad wont work on a smaller device" but now it's clearly proven that it not only works fine, in many ways it works better. I feel the same thing would happen with the iPhone and if given a choice then people would finally realize that different size options is good for everyone.
KittyKatta is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:40 AM   #113
onthecouchagain
Banned

Agreed, OP. I've always said larger screens aren't an Android vs. iOS debate. A larger screen iOS smartphone would be glorious.

Unfortunately, we can safely assume the 5S will keep the same form factor and screen size.

It won't be until the iPhone 6 (2014!) that we could hope to see a larger screen for the iPhone. And how would that work? Apple is "stuck" with their scaling solution. What's the next screen size it can scale up to? Has anyone done the math?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKatta View Post
A lot of people feel that the existence of a bigger iPhone means the elimination of the current size, but if the Mini tells us anything then its that the new Apple is now willing to splinter it's products in order to give it's end users options and take away sales from its competitors. And thats a good thing.

Its funny because only a few weeks ago then the iPad forum was filled with people declaring how "The iPad wont work on a smaller device" but now it's clearly proven that it not only works fine, in many ways it works better. I feel the same thing would happen with the iPhone and if given a choice then people would finally realize that different size options is good for everyone.

Don't forget, Apple is also conceding devices larger than 4" can be used one handed. They say so in their iPad Mini video:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post

In the official iPad Mini video, Ive explicitly says "...you can still pick it up and easily use it with one hand..." Easily. Earlier in the video, they make the distinction that you can hold it with one hand, but at the 2:10 mark, they're clearly talking about using it with one hand.

Video is here: http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/overv...-mini-features)

Going by that reasoning, any device can be used one handed, yet according to their iPhone 5 campaign, one of the main talking points is that anything larger than a 4" smartphone is unusable with one hand.

So either the iPad Mini can be used one handed (like it says in the video) and therefore so can other smaller smartphones, or nothing above the iPhone 5 screen size (like it says in the iPhone campaigns) can be used one handed in which case the iPad Mini video is a lie.
Yeah, I know it's just contradictory marketing, but that's how Apple rolls. Indeed, any device up until roughly 4.6 or 4.7 inches, I find very usable one handed. 4.3-4.5" would be ideal, though.
onthecouchagain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:34 AM   #114
Patriks7
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
Yes, we do. The iPhone 5 feels extremely crowed. Wish they'd release a 4.3" iphone like the perfect Samsung Galaxy S II.
After using my friends S II, I have to say it is the optimal screen size. Could use it with one hand and still got lot's of content on the screen. Using his S III, I almost wanted to throw that thing at a wall...
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:53 AM   #115
kalexn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
Yes, we do. The iPhone 5 feels extremely crowed. Wish they'd release a 4.3" iphone like the perfect Samsung Galaxy S II.
perfect? haha, not quite. That phone is WAY too big. To me it is like a mini tablet.
kalexn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:06 PM   #116
chakraj
macrumors 65816

Perfect size for a phone is 4.7 inch screen small bezel, maybe up to 5 inches if the space is used well enough.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:52 PM   #117
iHailCarlo
macrumors 6502

I was a bit skeptical at 1st with the new size on the iPhone 5. Now using it day to day, i think its great and doesnt need to get any bigger. Apple is now servicing all sweet spot sizes with their products.
iHailCarlo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:56 PM   #118
VandyChem2009
Banned

If anything the iPad mini has taught me that Apple thinks everything is a terrible idea until they do it.
VandyChem2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:14 PM   #119
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
If anything the iPad mini has taught me that Apple thinks everything is a terrible idea until they do it.
Pretty much. They want you to wait and see the Apple version. Everything else sucks.
nuckinfutz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:54 PM   #120
AlyseM
macrumors member

What about an ipad that has like phone mobile option. Like a little piece disconnects and becomes an iphone?! Dreams.....
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:54 PM   #121
polbit
macrumors 6502

The market has spoken, and more and more people like large phones. It only makes sense as we are talking less, video calling more, using apps and browsing more on our phones.

All Apple has to do is have TWO phones - make the small iPhone 5 for people that want that size, and a large 4.5 - 5" iPhone for people that want something bigger. I bet they could again dominate the market. They just did it with the iPad, they can do it with the phone. Otherwise they will keep driving an ever increasing segment of their customers away from their products.

I'm one of them - I haven't upgraded my iPhone 4 because I wanted a larger phone. Was waiting for iPhone 5 with anticipation, only to be so disappointed. Unfortunately my next phone will not be an iPhone, and as much as I will miss the Apple quality and familiarity of iOS, current iPhone just does not fullfill my needs anymore.
- Verizon Silver iPhone 6 Plus 64Gb
polbit is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:49 PM   #122
meistervu
macrumors 6502a

I went swimming in the ocean and...

I think I need a bigger bath tub
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:54 PM   #123
The Game 161
macrumors 601

My dad got the galaxy note 2 and i can't believe how big it is...just too big to ever use as a phone. Great for vids though but hey this is what ipads are for.
The Game 161 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:04 PM   #124
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
One handed use is overrated.

Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:04 PM   #125
oxfordguy
macrumors 6502

I'm extremely glad they didn't make the iPhone 5 any bigger, I want a phone I can slip easily into a jeans pocket and operate with one hand, not a mini tablet!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone