Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:33 AM   #151
sparks9
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Copenhagen
The iPad mini has me convinced that I need a smaller phone and use my pad for surfing at home. Currently I have a 4.7 inch phone and its too damn big when I can just switch to the iPad for surfing. 4 inch seems like a very good choice for now.

I'll probably get an iPhone 5S when they are out.
__________________
sparks9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:51 AM   #152
chakraj
macrumors 65816
 
chakraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post

I love how the image of Jobs holding the phone and squinting trying to see where to touch it proves the point of it being to small. He looks like he is trying to thread a needle. Imagine how comfortable he would look in the same picture only a 5inch 1080 p screen. lol
__________________
Why am I here? “On action alone be thy interest,
Never on its fruits. Let not the fruits of action be thy motive, Nor be thy attachment to inaction.”
chakraj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:00 AM   #153
sparks9
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Copenhagen
The iphone 5 really seems like the perfect phone, if only apple would update the OS. They really need some change.

Learn a bit from jelly bean perhaps.
__________________
sparks9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:21 AM   #154
yinz
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I think the screen size isn't the main concern of the people rejecting your 4" + screens. I think the overall size of the phone is what matters to these people. If the screen covered, the whole phone, I don't think people would mind if it didn't affect the touch interface.

Again, the larger screen isn't a problem. People wouldn't mind it because of their eyes. THe main concern here is the overall size of the phone. The current iPhone fits in an average person's pocket very nicely. It is also operational with one hand for most people. Therefore, the current design is great. If they make the screen bigger, that'd be great too, as long as they don't compromise the phones overall size and the battery life.

The developers will be pissed though, if you change the resolution. If you want apple to ignore these people and just increase it to 4.3" or whatever, I think that's just a bit selfish on your part.
yinz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:29 AM   #155
Gunny011
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
my mate has a SG3 and while I can appreciate why people would enjoy a bigger screen, it was too awkward to use at times. I'm glad I have a 4 inch phone.

I can't see Apple going any bigger than 4 inch screens but if they did, they would probably find a way of making it less awkward for holding and having a bigger phone in our pockets.
__________________
-iPhone 5 - iPad Air - Retina MacBook Pro - MacBook Air
Gunny011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:59 AM   #156
jrasero
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
The current Macbook lineup is far more confusion IMO.

Customer - I want a Mac notebook.

Sales: Ok do you want a light Air or do you want a Macbook Pro with DVD drive or do you want a Retina screen.

Customer: "????????????"

Two iPhones.

4" slim
5" larger "super phone"

Honestly I think the decision has been made and Apple's moving there already. It may take a couple of more revisions but it'll happen.

I agree with this for the most part. Picking a iPhone is really easy

Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, Unlocked

iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4

8GB, 16Gb, 32GB, 64GB

Black, White

That's a lot of possible combos. Not as many choices as Android and defiantly not as many as buying a Macbook but I have seen countless times people in the 5th Avenue Apple store get on line to by an iPhone but then have no clue which one to get and they take an hour to choose.

Apple adding Retina does make it confusing. But the first question I would ask would be, do you need a CD drive? If no yes them on the MBA or Retina. If Yes they have one choice in the MBP original
jrasero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:48 PM   #157
Sedrick
macrumors 68030
 
Sedrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
I'm keeping this image for when people keep harping about using the iPhone with one hand.
__________________
iPod Nano, iPod Touch, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5C, iPad 2
Sedrick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:50 PM   #158
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by chakraj View Post
I love how the image of Jobs holding the phone and squinting trying to see where to touch it proves the point of it being to small. He looks like he is trying to thread a needle. Imagine how comfortable he would look in the same picture only a 5inch 1080 p screen. lol
or that steve had bad vision
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:28 AM   #159
meistervu
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
This had happened in a cave some where.

Bob needs to bring us longer stick. These 4' sticks are too short. I am sick and tired of getting clawed.

I think 4' sticks are perfect. You can't run with a 5' stick. You trip and fall.

Fred carried a 5' stick and he got a beast today. He didn't get clawed. I tell you: some one need to talk some sense into Bob.

Same argument, different tools. Life goes on.
meistervu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:20 PM   #160
vaio1990
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by surjavarman View Post
5" phablets are the future. Why delay the inevitable?

Apple are playing too conservative right and they should go back to their roots which made them so successful. Even if they cancel their current lineup and replace it with one phablet, people will still lineup like crazy for it and herald it as the greatest invention since the wheel. Even those conservative 3.5 inchers who eventually adopted and praised the iphone5.
This is what I feel too... It seens inevitable that we will get a phablet from Apple. Samsung galaxy note 2 has been very strong, it's just a matter of time that apple will realize the demand for big phones
vaio1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:39 PM   #161
Serelus
macrumors Demi-God
 
Serelus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vm9pZA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartarus View Post
none of us represents everyone, im just pointing out the rediculousness of his two first posts, first he says that he doesent want a bigger screen, then when someone says that they like the idea, he says that since he doesent like the idea of a larger screen that EVERYONE else in the world doesent also
When you and him buy an iPhone and you say this screen isn't big enough.
While he's saying this screen is big enough.

Then by default you cannot state "we" need a bigger screen. In this scenario "we do not want a bigger screen" is correct, because Yes No and No Yes both mean no. It's basic logic really.
Serelus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:44 PM   #162
SlasherDuff
macrumors 6502a
 
SlasherDuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Gator Country
No "we" don't
__________________
Gold/White 64gb iPhone 5s, late 2013 rMacBook Pro Haswell 15", 128gb iPad Air, with product RED smart case
SlasherDuff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:27 PM   #163
dkersten
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegedrex View Post
Then stop wearing skinny jeans
That would be against the hipster code though...

---------------

I understand why some people want to keep the same size phone as the 5. That's fine with me. But there are other people that would love a larger screen phone, including me. What I don't understand is why people who prefer a smaller sized phone are so against a larger phone as long as Apple still offers a smaller sized screen phone. That's just a wee bit selfish don't you think?

I would love for Apple to rotate every 6 months between a new phone of different sizes. Speaking from a business standpoint it makes sense in a lot of ways to adopt this release cycle:

-Apple already maintains two different sizes. Why not drop the 3.5 in and add a 4.6-5.5in size? Just convert the manufacturing lines that produced the 3.5 in into a larger screen line
-Two sizes means a larger market for Apple to have a chance to gain new customers, and keep existing customers who would like a bigger phone
-Hype for two different iPhones a year means less coverage for competitors. Every time a new Apple product is released, it is all over the news (this is where non tech people are influenced from). I never see this kind of coverage for any competitors' products

But there are also downsides:
-Apple would need to figure out a scaling method for apps
-Product differentiation (this seems to be a weak argument IMO)
-Although Apple maintains different manufacturing lines right now, it does cost more money to do so. It would cost additional money to convert old 3.5in lines into a larger sized screen line
-More R&D money spent (but with Apple's cash reserve this should be a mute point. I mean come on Apple...)
-Apple is scrambling to find manufacturers for their products because of their split with Samsung Manufacturing. Right now might not be the best time as they try to keep production up with their existing products.

The way I see it, Apple could benefit greatly (as would customers) if they were willing to drop some money in the beginning and get over their huge ego (they were wrong as to what customers really wanted). They could recorner the market while keeping their profit margins (the galaxy note II is the most expensive phone subsidized and non subsidized). Because Apple made a concession with the Mini, I believe we could see a near phablet sized phone from Apple soon. The only thing I see holding this back is Apple's ego and their lack of manufacturing power resulting in the split of Apple and Samsung (its really a shame because Samsung was/is the best manufacturer for Apple products (quality and capacity))
dkersten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:30 PM   #164
walmartmartyr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks9 View Post
The iphone 5 really seems like the perfect phone, if only apple would update the OS. They really need some change.

Learn a bit from jelly bean perhaps.
Learn from Cydia!!

----------

4" would be perfect, but apple should have made the ratio a little different, mm or 2 wider and thus a shade shorter.
walmartmartyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:10 PM   #165
lke
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
The best would be to have a bigger screen without having a bigger phone.

I am sure that in the future Apple will release a bigger screen by going to the edges of the iphone, exactly like the ipad mini.
lke is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:35 PM   #166
CosmoPilot
macrumors 65816
 
CosmoPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Carolina
When Apple announced the iPhone5, I was apprehensive about upscaling screen size for a "larger" phone. To me, the iPhone4 & 4S were perfectly sized. However, I reasoned that Apple was not going to revert back to the 3.5" screen in the future, so I'd have to upgrade sooner or later and deal with it.

As always, my wife gets my older phone and I upgrade to the newest model (it works for us...don't judge). Using the iP5 for the first week was a bit awkward, but I've grown so used to it that using my wife's (my old one) 4S is like going back to the dark ages.

My point is, I was convinced the 3.5" was perfect and a larger display would diminish the pocket-ability of the phone. I was proven wrong. I cannot imagine going back to the 3.5" screen. So for me to say the 4" is perfect and I would not enjoy something bigger is narrow minded. From now on, I will take a wait-and-see attitude and judge a larger screened phone for what it is.

All this bickering back-and-forth is due chiefly from a lack of options from Apple. "I don't want Apple to increase the size," "I do want Apple to increase the size." It goes on and on and on. What everyone fails to realize is the lack of choice is driving these arguments. Because there is only ONE iPhone choice, everyone wants THEIR preferred screen size to be the end all be all. You just don't get these types of debates in the Mac forums. Why? Choice!!! For the Macbooks, you can get 11", 13", and 15" (something for everyone)...iMacs 21" and 27"

I know many on here will flame me because I have no clue on app scaling, and the fragmented nature a bold move of choice will create. I reason since OSX can handle varying sizes (11" all the way to 27"), I'm sure iOS can handle something between 4" and 7.9". Apple has the resources to figure these technical problems out.

I don't begrudge anyone dead set on 3.5, 4, 4.5, 4.8, 5, etc. What I do hate to see is people so anti-choice. The argument people vote with their wallets is ridiculous. People buy the iPhone, not because of its screen size, but because it is Apple. Increasing choice will not turn a single Apple consumer away. In fact, it would bring more people into the Apple fold. Can you honestly say if a 4" and 5" iPhone were offered, Apple would've sold less phones? Really???

Long post I know, but I'm all about choice so everyone participating in this threaded discussion can enjoy an iOS phone perfectly sized for them.
__________________
2011 27" 2.7GHz iMac 2012 2.5GHz 13" MBP iPhone 6 / iPhone 5S / iPhone 5 iPad Air AppleTV / AEBS 802.11ac
CosmoPilot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:27 PM   #167
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKatta View Post
The iPad mini has me convinced that We Need a Bigger iPhone!
I want != We need

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoPilot View Post
The argument people vote with their wallets is ridiculous. People buy the iPhone, not because of its screen size, but because it is Apple. Increasing choice will not turn a single Apple consumer away. In fact, it would bring more people into the Apple fold. Can you honestly say if a 4" and 5" iPhone were offered, Apple would've sold less phones? Really???
Not anti choice but do you have a market survey to support this or are you just going on your gut? It should be obvious why Apple doesn't make business decisions based on the gut feelings of any forum user (or even multiple forum users).

It's not just a matter of selling less or more iPhones. These are mass produced products and the demand has to be proven for the R&D, tooling, supply lines and everything else involved that forum armchair experts conveniently disregard when making comments based solely on their particular preferences. What matters is whether or not there is the perception that the new option(s) will sell enough. What a forum user considers to be enough and what Apple considers to be enough are not necessarily the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoPilot View Post
People buy the iPhone, not because of its screen size, but because it is Apple.
If that's true then screen size shouldn't matter either way. For any X product there are a number of reasons why people do and do not buy the product. While many are brand-fixated, I like many others, do not simply buy based on the brand. I do own the iPhone but it's not just because of the brand on it.

Voting with dollars does matter. If screen size was a significant enough issue to attract buyers then it would also be significant enough to drive away buyers and the impact should be demonstrable in the sales figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoPilot View Post
My point is, I was convinced the 3.5" was perfect and a larger display would diminish the pocket-ability of the phone. I was proven wrong. I cannot imagine going back to the 3.5" screen. So for me to say the 4" is perfect and I would not enjoy something bigger is narrow minded. From now on, I will take a wait-and-see attitude and judge a larger screened phone for what it is.
It certainly is narrow minded for anyone to assume that they know whether they like or dislike anything that they haven't tried. However, that doesn't mean that everyone that doesn't want a larger screen hasn't tried one. That said, you still have a point in one person (or even many) not wanting an option doesn't by itself mean that an option shouldn't exist. However, proving that there is enough demand for that option is really the important bit. People on forums tend to assume that simply wanting something is justification enough for it to exist.

Last edited by takeshi74; Dec 2, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:38 PM   #168
CosmoPilot
macrumors 65816
 
CosmoPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
Not anti choice but do you have a market survey to support this or are you just going on your gut? It should be obvious why Apple doesn't make business decisions based on the gut feelings of any forum user (or even multiple forum users).

It's not just a matter of selling less or more iPhones. These are mass produced products and the demand has to be proven for the R&D, tooling, supply lines and everything else involved that forum armchair experts conveniently disregard when making comments based solely on their particular preferences.

Voting with dollars does matter. If screen size was a significant enough issue to attract buyers then it would also be significant enough to drive away buyers and the impact should be demonstrable in the sales figures.
If a 4" and a 5" were offered, all those that bought the current iPhone 5 would've purchased it or the 5" model. This is common sense and doesn't require any sort of marketing survey. I have an M.B.A., and don't dispute the opportunity costs associated with tooling for multiple devices. However, this paradigm is thrown out the window by realizing Apple's sales strategy. Do they offer the current iPhone to the global masses at once? No, they feed the world along, country by country as supplies allow.

Now, imagine a world with 2 production facilities. Each producing a separate model, engineered and tooled to produce X amount of devices based off Marketing demand analysis. Not difficult at all! I guess Apple missed the mark when S.Jobs said anything less than a 9" tablet would never work! So his "gut" feeling was proven wrong, as Apple has realized the need to pacify a certain niche.

It's comments like yours that lead to these absurd threads. I'm sure pre iPhone5, you were one of the ones saying Apple could not offer a larger screen than the 3.5 due to tooling, ect.? However, Apple still sells the 4S....how do they do such miraculous things?

Your voting with dollars comment...really? So the 4S was so bad the "demonstrative sales figures" drove Apple to make a 4" model in hope of bringing back sales? What are you talking about? How about Samsung? Looks like they'll be going out of business, because there aren't enough people purchasing those large screened handsets. Stop the press, demonstrative sales figures have spoken....Samsung is going bankrupt. I guess all the millions and millions of people across the globe voted with their wallets prior to the iPhone 5 that a larger screen wasn't necessary. If you owned a pre iPhone5, then you voted too. Wonder why Apple didn't listen to all those millions of votes and decided to change from 3.5" to 4"? I wonder...
__________________
2011 27" 2.7GHz iMac 2012 2.5GHz 13" MBP iPhone 6 / iPhone 5S / iPhone 5 iPad Air AppleTV / AEBS 802.11ac

Last edited by CosmoPilot; Dec 2, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
CosmoPilot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:07 PM   #169
bushman4
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Making an Iphone with a larger screen presents many problems such as App size, Battery size etc, etc all have to change.
bushman4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:32 PM   #170
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman4 View Post
Making an Iphone with a larger screen presents many problems such as App size, Battery size etc, etc all have to change.
Yeah a larger screen would most likely translate for a larger battery to power the screen and the OS. Apple wanted to make the iPhone 5 light, so that may be the reason why they didn't want to go larger than 4".
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:18 AM   #171
chleuasme
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
I'm keeping this image for when people keep harping about using the iPhone with one hand.
You can't ignore the context: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrrsSKI64vk&t=1m42s
The ability to use an iPhone one handed do not exclude to use it with two hands, anyway. Nobody will state every imaginable usage have to be possible with one hand and thumb.
chleuasme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:18 AM   #172
WhiteIphone5
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lima, Peru
I still think 3.5 is the perfect size....
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:19 AM   #173
Damolee
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
The beauty of an iOS driven phone is that there is hardly any fragmentation.

Look on the app store right now and tell me how few apps even support the iPhone 5s bigger screen and it's been out for awhile now.

This will not happen until the 3.5" form factor is finally phased out.

I'm guessing they will eventually settle on a 4.3" size but the phone dimensions will remain the same.

Until they can work out something with the battery tech, it has to be this way.

I love the fact the iPhone 5 has managed to keep it light, ok screen size and decent battery compared to Android devices and such.

Last edited by Damolee; Dec 3, 2012 at 07:38 AM.
Damolee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:25 AM   #174
rikscha
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
Which part? Ive not met one person that can actually surf the web efficiently with the ip5 screen, not one....I own a ip4 and the only sites a can go on are very simple mobile sites and even they are not great.
I prefer browsing the we on my i5 over browsing on my mac or iPad.
you better find yourself better friends.
rikscha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:30 AM   #175
Prime85
macrumors 6502a
 
Prime85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Can we please stop with the screen size forums. Everyone has different preferences! Having a million different threads about screen size won't change anything.
Prime85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Mini: New ipad mini non retina with bigger battery ? coco67 iPad 2 Oct 28, 2013 04:29 PM
Apple Working on the iWatch, a Bigger iPhone, a Less Expensive iPhone, a Retina iPad Mini, and More MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 138 Mar 16, 2013 08:31 AM
iPad Mini: iPad Mini users: Would you switch to the bigger iPad if it's as thin as the mini? zooby iPad 54 Mar 8, 2013 02:59 AM
iPad Mini: How does the white bezel on the iPad mini compare to that of the bigger iPads? zooby iPad 16 Mar 7, 2013 09:47 PM
All iPads: What if the 7.9" Mini came first? Would you want a bigger iPad? KittyKatta iPad 15 Nov 5, 2012 10:41 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC