Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
My phone this morning around midnight went to no bars for a couple of minutes then said Extended LTE. Has anybody seen this before ?

SavMBP15

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Nothing new. Extended LTE is just a form of LTE that is slightly less than nomal LTE. Take a look at the verizon coverage map for explanations.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Nothing new. Extended LTE is just a form of LTE that is slightly less than nomal LTE. Take a look at the verizon coverage map for explanations.

I do lots of traveling and have never seen this before on my phone

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
probably means they switched your tower to do something else. Are you in an area hit by Sandy? I know I am and I haven't been on LTE to check but is your area native verizon service?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Just curious, how badly did Sandy screw up the cell towers in the states? Have AT&T, Verizon & Sprint all been hit pretty hard, 3G & LTE down in specific areas?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Oh god, hope connectivity isn't compromised To a large extent. It'll take some time for the cell operators to get them back online after the storm as well.

It was pretty bad, almost unusable shortly after the storm. In my area AT&T is still poor, but getting steadily more stable.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
...because you were in converage of Extended LTE...:rolleyes: It really is as simple as that, stop thinking so much into it and move on.

I travel all over the country and have never seen this before on my phone:rolleyes:

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012

Attachments

• new 039.PNG
    new 039.PNG
    456.4 KB · Views: 85

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I've never seen this either and I tried LTE yesterday, infact i had a stronger reception than usual, I think they're in the middle of fixing the tower because it lagged like hell on the ping test and 4 bars only got me 6-8mbps down and 9 up

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Just because you have never seen extended LTE where you have been doesn't mean it doesn't exist in other locations. Why would it matter if you had never connected to it?

The first time I connected to Edge 2.5G which rarely exists in my country I was a little surprised but realized "hey, just cause I've never seen it before doesn't mean it hasn't existed for a while". To think differently to that means you have the intelligence of a three year old (they think what they see is the only thing that exists and can't understand the idea of things happening outside of their surroundings.

Last edited by a moderator:

emoore

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
I get the extended 3G on my 4S sometimes so I would just assume this is normal. Don't know why you are so concerned about it. Nothing is wrong.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
To the OP, being an AT&T customer I'm new to LTE as of the iPhone 5. That said, I travel in and out of coverage areas due to my son's soccer schedule and haven't seen this either at any point. Interesting, but I've not seen anything about it before.

Last edited by a moderator:

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Just because you have never seen extended LTE where you have been doesn't mean it doesn't exist in other locations. Why would it matter if you had never connected to it?

The first time I connected to Edge 2.5G which rarely exists in my country I was a little surprised but realized "hey, just cause I've never seen it before doesn't mean it hasn't existed for a while". To think differently to that means you have the intelligence of a three year old (they think what they see is the only thing that exists and can't understand the idea of things happening outside of their surroundings.

I am talking about Verizon not A&T so thanks for all of your help :eek: And you must not get out very much if you don't think that Edge is common with ATT cause it is everywhere . Take care

----------

I get the extended 3G on my 4S sometimes so I would just assume this is normal. Don't know why you are so concerned about it. Nothing is wrong.

I am not concerned about it but just noticed something strange on my phone and thought that I would start a thread about something that is rare and that most people never see on there phones. I am in a native Verizon area and there are no LTE partners here so something must be going on with the towers or network down here cause extended isn't rare but extended LTE is :D

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I am talking about Verizon not A&T so thanks for all of your help :eek: And you must not get out very much if you don't think that Edge is common with ATT cause it is everywhere . Take care

----------

Before you try to insult me maybe you shouldn't assume I an AT&T customer or even living in the US at all. I'm in Australia.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon

----------

I am not concerned about it but just noticed something strange on my phone and thought that I would start a thread about something that is rare and that most people never see on there phones. I am in a native Verizon area and there are no LTE partners here so something must be going on with the towers or network down here cause extended isn't rare but extended LTE is :D

macing is saying that it's existed but this is the first time you've seen it and you don't think that it is around anywhere else. He then stated an example, that edge 2.5 is rarely available in his country, implying he is not from the US and that the first time he saw it he was surprised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.