Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:36 AM   #1
skov10
macrumors newbie

automatic solution to switch from wireless connection to 4g modem

Hello
I hope anyone can help me.
I have a mac mini with mavericks server installed, it connect to my wireless network, and my airport extreme have a static ip adress with my internet provider. I have a 50/50 mbit connection.
If my internet provider have a crash for 1minutes or more, my server is not online,
I have also a 4g modem with 5 GB monthly, my 4g modem have a static ip adress, and it is connected via usb to my Mavericks server, if it is better, i can bought a wireless 4g router,
is it possible to make a script, there can automate the process to switch from my wireless lan to my 4G connection, if there is problems with my internet provider. After my wireless connection working again, i want to Automatic to switch back to my wireless network connected to my airport extreme.
Thanks in advance.
Best regards
Skov 10
skov10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:08 AM   #2
smartmoney
macrumors newbie

I have similar setup but 3 different wan connections and i use a Mikrotik router first in line (Then my APE) The Mikrotik does all the switching automatically then my APE does all the dhcp and routing. Make sure it has a USB for the 4G (likethe rb750uP) You can pickup a basic one for $50.
I have it setup to use the 4G always for my alarm system and it will divert all network traffic to that if the other 2 wan goes down.
smartmoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking