[iPad Mini] Would Happily Pay $529 for Mini w/ Retina - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:30 AM   #1
dsa420
macrumors regular

Would Happily Pay $529 for Mini w/ Retina

Wish they would have followed suit of the MacBook Pro and offered retina and non retina version... I would happily pay a premium to cover the margin needed by Apple to support the retina display in the Mini..

Yes, I just posted another thread about the display cause its ****.... Will keep the Mini regardless cause of the form factor, flame away...
dsa420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:30 AM   #2
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

I guess you'll just have to wait.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:31 AM   #3
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

You'll get your chance next year.
nuckinfutz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:39 AM   #4
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

Just save your $529 until next year, and make sure you give them your $529 instead of $329!
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:54 AM   #5
dsa420
macrumors regular

It's really maddening especially since the size is just right for typing and Mail is where the screen looks at its worst. I wish Amazon/Google hadn't set the bar so low in terms of pricing, then perhaps we wouldn't be in this predicament, but then again if it weren't from Amazon/Google perhaps there would be no Mini at all...
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:55 AM   #6
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
Just save your $529 until next year, and make sure you give them your $529 instead of $329!
I wouldve paid more for a premium device.
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

nope, 499 is an ipad 4 with retina

2 inches larger

329 should have already had retina
Yr Blues is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:12 PM   #8
nfl46
macrumors 601

Just wait until Fall 2013. You'll get your retina Mini.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:12 PM   #9
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa420 View Post
It's really maddening especially since the size is just right for typing and Mail is where the screen looks at its worst. I wish Amazon/Google hadn't set the bar so low in terms of pricing, then perhaps we wouldn't be in this predicament, but then again if it weren't from Amazon/Google perhaps there would be no Mini at all...
iPad mini was in plan before the Nexus 7 and Amazon Kindle were delivered. Apple's not responding them with the mini...it was already being designed.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:13 PM   #10
sealos
macrumors member

That is seriously the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time. Why would you want to pay $30 MORE than a device that HAS retina display, better processor, bigger screen etc?

OP, you make NO sense.

If there is going to be any premium to some future mini with Retina, it'll come in at $399 or $100 less than the larger iPad equivalent.

But since the price point for ALL the large iPads has never changed, then I'm sure Apple will keep the price points the same for all Minis regardless of screen sense.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:15 PM   #11
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yr Blues View Post

2 inches larger

I disagree. That wouldve made the device thicker and bulkier. Plus they may not have the tech to fit 2k pixels into a smaller space yet. We dont yet know why the compromises made were made. I wouldve added retina and just charged $399 and discontinued the iPad2
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:29 PM   #12
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post
I disagree. That wouldve made the device thicker and bulkier. Plus they may not have the tech to fit 2k pixels into a smaller space yet. We dont yet know why the compromises made were made. I wouldve added retina and just charged $399 and discontinued the iPad2
the ipod touch has retina at the same thickness

THEY FREAKING HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY

and you magically changed OP's 529 number to 399 and included retina

so you're saying they don't know how to include retina (ipod touch) but you would include it at 399
Yr Blues is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:17 PM   #13
seajewel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Wish they would have followed suit of the MacBook Pro and offered retina and non retina version... I would happily pay a premium to cover the margin needed by Apple to support the retina display in the Mini..

Yes, I just posted another thread about the display cause its ****.... Will keep the Mini regardless cause of the form factor, flame away...
Honestly I would too, but I wouldn't even have ordered at that price point. It's only because I've used it for hours and can appreciate the incredible usability of the mini that I can say it was worth it. But now I prefer it way way over full iPad and the only bad part is the screen.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:20 PM   #14
dsa420
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealos View Post
That is seriously the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time. Why would you want to pay $30 MORE than a device that HAS retina display, better processor, bigger screen etc?

OP, you make NO sense.

If there is going to be any premium to some future mini with Retina, it'll come in at $399 or $100 less than the larger iPad equivalent.

But since the price point for ALL the large iPads has never changed, then I'm sure Apple will keep the price points the same for all Minis regardless of screen sense.
Well perhaps I have more $$$ than sense.. Just trying to illustrate that I would pay more for a better screen, no need to take this post in a negative direction
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:23 PM   #15
sealos
macrumors member

Quote:
Well perhaps I have more $$$ than sense.. Just trying to illustrate that I would pay more for a better screen, no need to take this post in a negative direction
Fair enough I would love to negotiate against you! Enjoy the Mini.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:32 PM   #16
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Don't worry, you'll get your chance next year after you spend $320 this year.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:35 PM   #17
macbook123
macrumors 68000

+1 to the original post, with the exception that I'd say I'd be happy to pay $100 extra if the screen had 50% higher resolution (doesn't need to be a full doubling in both dimensions).

I would even pay this much if the battery life was cut in half.
macbook123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:41 PM   #18
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbook123 View Post
+1 to the original post, with the exception that I'd say I'd be happy to pay $100 extra if the screen had 50% higher resolution (doesn't need to be a full doubling in both dimensions).

I would even pay this much if the battery life was cut in half.
you can't double the horizontal without doubling the vertical or else you'll have a totally different aspect ratio

and people will be calling for cook's head if it only had 5 hours battery
Yr Blues is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:43 PM   #19
Anti-Lucifer
macrumors 6502a

W
Anti-Lucifer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:52 PM   #20
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

It's Not About Cost of a Retina Display...

Look lets get to the facts.

No one is manufacturing a 2048 x 1536 7.9" display just yet.

The iPad 3 & 4 require more powerful processor in order to drive the display. This A5X & A6X abridged processors also requires almost double the capacity battery and size (compared to the mini) in order to provide the 10 hour battery life.

So based on current requirements would you have happily accepted a 7.9" ipad mini that was a lot heavier and thicker than the current ipad mini with possibly dramatically reduced battery life, one that runs a lot hotter (less surface area for heat dispensation as the 3rd gen. and 4th gen. get much hotter than the mini) .

And then despite the extra weight, reduced battery performance would you still be happy to shell out the $529 your thread title boasts ?

The retina display in the mini was not feasible currently.

I've heard a lot of BS from posters on these forums the last few weeks declaring "but the iPod touch and iPhone 5 have retina displays", as justification for why the iPad mini should have had one, regardless of the fact that 1) no one is actually manufacturing one and 2) the iPhone 5 with 1136 x 640 resolution actually has LESS pixels than the iPad mini at 1024 x 768 (some 50k less pixels to be precise).

When & 'IF' apple can gain access to a processor that runs cooler and can still provide enough GPU grunt to drive a 3 million pixel display without requiring large battery or generating extra heat, then the iPad mini will get Retina.

This is not about Apple cutting costs, it's about the practicalities of putting the required hardware to drive a 2048 x 1536 display currently available into the mini's tiny frame. It simply doesnt exist in a form currently or to a the degree where the benefits (screen resolution) are outweighed by the cons (battery life, power requirements, weight etc..).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yr Blues View Post

2 inches larger

"Should" doesn't always equal "it was currently possible"....

Last edited by MacRumorUser; Nov 3, 2012 at 02:13 PM.
MacRumorUser is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:54 PM   #21
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Last edited by Macky-Mac; Nov 4, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
Macky-Mac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:07 PM   #22
Buskape
macrumors 6502

Well at least apple is leaving you time to save money, what is it gonna be, in 6 months? So putting 100$ under your bed every month should do the trick.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:13 PM   #23
dsa420
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
Look lets get to the facts.

No one is manufacturing a 2048 x 1536 7.9" display just yet.

The iPad 3 & 4 require more powerful processor in order to drive the display. This A5X & A6X abridged processors also requires almost double the capacity battery and size (compared to the mini) in order to provide the 10 hour battery life.

So based on current requirements would you have happily accepted a 7.9" ipad mini that was a lot heavier and thicker than the current ipad mini with possibly dramatically reduced battery life, one that runs a lot hotter (less surface area for heat dispensation as the 3rd gen. and 4th gen. get much hotter than the mini) .

And then despite the extra weight, reduced battery performance would you still be happy to shell out the $529 your thread title boasts ?

The retina display in the mini was not feasible currently.

I've heard a lot of BS from posters on these forums the last few weeks declaring "but the iPod touch and iPhone 5 have retina displays", as justification for why the iPad mini should have had one, regardless of the fact that 1) no one is actually manufacturing one and 2) the iPhone 5 with 1136 x 740 resolution actually has LESS pixels than the iPad mini at 1024 x 768 (some 50k less pixels to be precise).

When & 'IF' apple can gain access to a processor that runs cooler and can still provide enough GPU grunt to drive a 3 million pixel display without requiring large battery or generating extra heat, then the iPad mini will get Retina.

This is not about Apple cutting costs, it's about the practicalities of putting the required hardware to drive a 2048 x 1536 display currently available into the mini's tiny frame. It simply doesnt exist in a form currently or to a the degree where the benefits (screen resolution) are outweighed by the cons (battery life, power requirements, weight etc..).

----------

"Should" doesn't always equal "it was currently possible"....
Too many variables to know for sure, but seems reasonable.. Technological constraints is a much easier pill to swallow here vs. competitive pricing pressure.

I guess we will never know for sure, would be great to have an "off the record" POV from someone at AAPL.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:23 PM   #24
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Well, time will tell. Apple will either release a retina with an a5x or a6x, and he'll be wrong. Or they'll not release one, and refuse to do so until there's a newer, cooler running chip, and we'll be wrong.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:26 PM   #25
magrat22
macrumors regular

Just because they have the technology to make a retina screen for the touch and the 9.7" iPad doesn't mean they can just automatically create it for the mini. As we know with all Apple devices they design to the finest detail so they aren't just going to chop the 9.7" screen to fit the mini. Templates need to be created to make a screen of that size or who knows with Apple maybe they have a separate machine for each device, they make enough of them it would be worth there while. Building a machine to create the screen takes time and money and in business you don't waste an opportunity so if the non-retina was in the works you keep it there as it'll sell anyway and then get prepared for the next version.

I have the mini and am perfectly happy with the screen. Yes I have retina everything else but honestly with 11hrs+ of battery and a device that barely weighs anything it's a compromise I'm willing to make.

Screen isn't that bad: http://imgur.com/a/edDwY

Last edited by magrat22; Nov 3, 2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: wrong quote
magrat22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad