Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:04 PM   #1
Quantum paradox
macrumors newbie

Charging not supported with this accessory.

having an issue with my iPod 4th gen. When I hook up to either a wall charger or my computer I get the message "charging not supported with this accessory". I haven't update to iOS 6 yet (waiting for the bugs to be fixed, or possibly to get the iPod 5th gen.). I can't sign into the apple communities website for help, because for whatever reason I am getting a error. here is a bit more about the situation:
- I am using an apple usb. It is not the one that came with the ipod. I have also tried generic usb's.
- Sometimes the message goes away and it charges fine. However, the message never goes away when hooked up to my computer
- Putting it into airplane mode doesn't help (I read somewhere that it does)
- It doesn't matter how low the battery is when I begin charging.

Is there a fix for this? Am I going to have to restore my iPod? Thanks for your help!
Quantum paradox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:08 PM   #2
SandboxGeneral

Are you using the same cable each time? Can you try a different cable? The cable may be going bad/getting worn out.

Or, maybe the dock connector on the iPod is dirty or has damaged pins. Take a look at it and see if you find anything.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Quantum paradox
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. Is it safe to use a bit of rubbing alcohol on a napkin/Q-tip to clean the connector port?
Quantum paradox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:52 PM   #4
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum paradox View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Is it safe to use a bit of rubbing alcohol on a napkin/Q-tip to clean the connector port?
I'd be very, very careful doing that.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:43 PM   #5
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum paradox View Post
I'd do the old "blow into the cartridge slot" trick. Put a t-shirt over the bottom of your iPod's dock port and blow away - there's probably a load of dust on the bottom.

Enjoy haha
spyguy10709 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch