Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Negatron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
This is probably a stupid question, but is there any way to run Bootcamp and OSX at the same time, perhaps on dual monitors?

My windows PC fried, and I currently only have my mac. The issue I am running into is needing to use Photoshop (I own an OSX version) and my class using Autodesk 3DS Max, a windows-only program. I have to swap between the programs quite frequently, and as a result am left either hoping it turns out right, or swapping between partitions and rebooting my computer very very very often.

Any help would be appreciated. thank you

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This is probably a stupid question, but is there any way to run Bootcamp and OSX at the same time, perhaps on dual monitors?
No, you have to boot into one or the other. To run Windows apps on your Mac, you can also use Parallels or VMware Fusion.

If you don't have a Windows license, you can use CrossOver to run some applications. Not all Windows apps are compatible with CrossOver. Check their site for compatible apps.

For more information about running Windows on your Mac, check out the Windows, Linux & other on the Mac forum.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I wouldn't run 3DS Max in a VM, because of performance.

Assuming you bought Photoshop, you could exchange you OS X liscence for a Windows liscence, and do all of your work in Windows.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I wouldn't run 3DS Max in a VM, because of performance.

Assuming you bought Photoshop, you could exchange you OS X liscence for a Windows liscence, and do all of your work in Windows.

This would probably be your best bet. I would follow the instructions here, then download and use the trial version of Photoshop for Windows until you get the license swap sorted out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.