Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:32 PM   #1
That-Guy
macrumors 6502

Create your own "Fusion Drive" in your Mac Mini

Just come across THIS GUIDE to create a Fusion like drive and its got me thinking

Do you think this will be very reliable?

Do you think its worth the hassle while installing Mountain Lion?

I was thinking about having an 128gb SSD as my boot drive and the original 500gb HDD as my Data/Storage drive.
That-Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

I run an SSD and harddrive in my Macbook Pro, and don't see any reason to "fuse" them together...
Pakaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:06 PM   #3
Defend Tacoma
macrumors newbie

Quite a few articles out on that. Yes, I plan to give it a shot, but I'm going to wait a little bit to see what if any issues crop up for folks.
Defend Tacoma is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:17 PM   #4
jmxp69
macrumors 6502

Seems to me without the software logic to move most used apps to flash, the only thing this trick will do is slow down the SSD. I'd be interested to see before and after results for this hack.
jmxp69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:56 PM   #5
oYx
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmxp69 View Post
Seems to me without the software logic to move most used apps to flash, the only thing this trick will do is slow down the SSD. I'd be interested to see before and after results for this hack.
That "moving" stuff happens automagically once the disks are fused.
oYx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:22 PM   #6
dasx
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakaku View Post
I run an SSD and harddrive in my Macbook Pro, and don't see any reason to "fuse" them together...
My thought exactly. I just have an SSD (no other regular drives in it) but I don't see why I'd like to lose more control on my machine...
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:42 PM   #7
MattZani
macrumors 68020

I've ordered a Mini with a 1TB drive, with the intention to add an SSD in the near future, and making it a Fusion Drive.

Is there any downside to this though?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:45 PM   #8
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasx View Post
My thought exactly. I just have an SSD (no other regular drives in it) but I don't see why I'd like to lose more control on my machine...
And I just thought of something: what happens to one drive if the other one fails? Does it work like a RAID-0, RAID-1, or something else?
Pakaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:49 PM   #9
jmxp69
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by oYx View Post
That "moving" stuff happens automagically once the disks are fused.
Still would like to see some benchmark results.

Edit: Seems the block level tiering happens in in Core Storage, so this looks legit.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10...roll-your-own/

Momentus XT Hybrid drives used firmware on the drive itself to redirect frequently used data to flash which is why I thought there might be a drive firmware dependency.

"Seagates Adaptive Memory™ technology uses algorithms to monitor data usage in real time, ensuring frequently used data is stored in the NAND flash memory and dramatically improving system-level performance."
http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard...tus-xt-hybrid/

Last edited by jmxp69; Nov 3, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
jmxp69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:09 PM   #10
shinji
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
And I just thought of something: what happens to one drive if the other one fails? Does it work like a RAID-0, RAID-1, or something else?
Anyone have an answer for this? Nothing about it in the Apple documentation either http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5446 but apparently any Mac with a Fusion drive comes with a unique version of Disk Utility...
shinji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:13 PM   #11
KyleAwesome
macrumors member

worked great for me

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...3&postcount=12

I've transferred approx 300gb to the setup and it appears to be functioning just as described by apple.

late 2012 mini i7 2.3, 8gb, 256gb 830 SSD, 1tb.
Mid '11 mini i7 2.7, 8gb, 500gb HD
KyleAwesome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:00 AM   #12
dasx
macrumors 65816

Quote:
My guess is it's neither of those. It's just as if it was one single drive. So if it fails, it fails. Period. (just like if a regular 1TB drive failed).

It's nice and all but I don't get why would anyone really wanna emulate this when they already got an SSD and an HDD. The ability to choose what you put in what disk is better than a SO making the decision for you.
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:06 AM   #13
MatthewAMEL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinji View Post
Anyone have an answer for this? Nothing about it in the Apple documentation either http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5446 but apparently any Mac with a Fusion drive comes with a unique version of Disk Utility...
A Fusion Drive is technically more fragile than a single device. If one of the components fails, it's toast.

The Disk Utility that will be in 10.8.3 will handle the creation and management of Fusion Drives in a GUI, but you can do all that with CLI now.

Just look at the posted guides and get familiar with the diskutil 'cs' commands.

The biggest benefit for my MacBook Pro was giving me one large volume that functionally has the same speed of an SSD. (240GB SSD + 500GB HDD)
MatthewAMEL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:07 PM   #14
cocacolakid
macrumors 65816

I'm interested in doing this with my MBP (and maybe 2011 mini), but I want to see more reviews of it and I'm a bit worried that once Apple releases 10.8.3 they will find a way to disable the mod. They've done it before by breaking third party TRIM support (although the developers figured out how to reinstate it). I also watched a Blackmagic speed test of the DIY Fusion Drive and the speeds were extremely slow. That doesn't mean that it's not fast in real world use.

The speed tests start at about the 5 minute mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_odnNpv-FQ
cocacolakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:23 PM   #15
bbapps
macrumors regular

So, is the BYO 1TB Fusion drive offered by Apple nothing more than a 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD pre-setup using Core Storage utilities. Meaning this DIY method would be exactly what you get when you order the 1TB Fusion Drive option from Apple?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:31 PM   #16
StevenT42
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbucy View Post
So, is the BYO 1TB Fusion drive offered by Apple nothing more than a 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD pre-setup using Core Storage utilities. Meaning this DIY method would be exactly what you get when you order the 1TB Fusion Drive option from Apple?
That's the theory. All indicators are that the Fusion Drive is a separate SSD and HD combined with Core Storage. But there is no way of knowing if this will be supported by Apple in future releases of Mac OS X, meaning they could shut down the third-party support...
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:30 PM   #17
cocacolakid
macrumors 65816

I also have questions about backups, such as, if we make a Time Machine backup of the Fusion Drive, and Apple kills DIY Fusion in a later update, it appears that after we reformat the hard drives there is no way to separate the data on the Time Machine backup to the two now separate drives. The only solution to that would be a fresh OS install and using Migration assistant to move apps/documents/etc. from the Time Machine backup onto the two separate drives.

That's not a total nightmare, but enough of a problem to make me want to sit this out until we know more. I moved to Macs from a Hackintosh because I got tired of constantly having to play catch up to Apple's updates that broke the Hackintosh settings. For the average user who just wants something that works and isn't keen on tinkering, this is not something they should be messing with.
cocacolakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini