Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Myiphone7
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Antenna gate on the iPhone 5

Ok so I found a way to create antenna gate in iPhone 5.

I stumbled upon this accidentally.

I was playing a game and the bottom antennas were in my palms while both my index fingers both extended up the sides of iPhone 5 covering up the top two antennas.

My thumbs were being used to play a game.

Boom. Weaker signal.
Myiphone7 is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:27 PM   #2
darster
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
It's not antenna gate. You can make any phone lose signal if you cover the antennas in a certain way.
darster is offline   1
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:29 PM   #3
sviato
macrumors 68020
 
sviato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: HR 9038 A
Call the press
sviato is online now   0
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:30 PM   #4
darster
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
This thread brought to you by

"My phone is bent"
"The Apple rep gave me a mean look"
"My sim card is scratched"
darster is offline   6
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Myiphone7
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
It's not antenna gate. You can make any phone lose signal if you cover the antennas in a certain way.

What about the blackberry bold?

I think those have the antenna inside
Myiphone7 is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:33 PM   #6
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604
 
QuarterSwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
What about the blackberry bold?

I think those have the antenna inside
Cover it in your hands and it will have a weaker signal. It's simple physics.
QuarterSwede is online now   0
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:34 PM   #7
erratikmind
macrumors 6502a
 
erratikmind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: S.F./Las Vegas
Wonderful . . . Now, we are creating issues.
erratikmind is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:37 PM   #8
roxxette
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Seems legit
roxxette is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:37 PM   #9
Daveoc64
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
You're confusing "antenna gate" and "signal loss".

"Antenna gate" was the clear problem with the iPhone 4 that meant you could lose signal by holding it in a normal manner.

The iPhone 4 (CDMA) and 4S corrected that by having multiple antennas to compensate for the signal attenuation.

Holding the phone in a "normal" way should not cause the same level of signal loss with an iPhone 5.
__________________
Nexus 5 32GB Black (Three UK) | Nexus 7 (2012) | Kindle Paperwhite (2013)
iPhone 4 32GB
White MacBook (Late 2007)
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:44 PM   #10
stonyboys
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
This thread brought to you by

"My phone is bent"
"The Apple rep gave me a mean look"
"My sim card is scratched"
Dunno if it's what you meant, but he had another "How can I tell if my phone is bent?"
stonyboys is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:49 PM   #11
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
From the maker of
Why does iMessage revert to SMS sometimes?
Are you scared to update the iPhone 5 software?
Do you covet your lightning cable?
How can I tell if my iPhone 5 is bent?
Is it possible these scratches on my sim card are affecting signal?
If I have a good Geek Bench 2 score on my iPhone 5 does that mean its running at peak
Is the iPhone 5 retina display as sharp as the iPhone 4?
How can I tell if my iPhone 5 camera is shooting the best it can?
Is it possible doing a restore slowed my iPhone 5 down, really paranoid?

and countless other classics brings you Antenna gate on the iPhone 5
tymaster50 is offline   4
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:53 PM   #12
Jtludwig
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
Ok so I found a way to create antenna gate in iPhone 5.

I stumbled upon this accidentally.

I was playing a game and the bottom antennas were in my palms while both my index fingers both extended up the sides of iPhone 5 covering up the top two antennas.

My thumbs were being used to play a game.

Boom. Weaker signal.
Since your phone is bent, it's causing problems for the antenna.

Lay it on a flat surface and smooth it out with a hammer. That will fix your antenna.
Jtludwig is offline   2
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:54 PM   #13
Munkypoo7
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Guys guys.

There's also toss-and-crush-gate. Where if you throw your phone off the top of the Empire State Building, then it gets run over by a semi, the whole will be useless. Your signal will completely drop and you won't be able to make any calls.

Am I doing it right?
Munkypoo7 is offline   1
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:58 PM   #14
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
I have barely seen anyone on Macrumors complaining about this issue. Problem unique to your iPhone 5 only?
Beeplance is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:59 PM   #15
stonyboys
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
^Wait iPhones can be bent? How can I tell if mine is bent? I'd ask a genius but I'm afraid he might give me a MEAN look. Also I think my camera isnt performing at its peak? How can I test this? Is there a geekbench tester for the camera? Also I was eating a sandwich this morning and I noticed my phone had a bad signal. Does this mean that some mayonnaise might have gotten inside? I also had tomatoes in the sandwich and I think this affected the brightness of my flash? Also I think the symbol on my home button is more circular than it should be, how can I test this? Is there an apple certified measuring tool?
stonyboys is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:59 PM   #16
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
I have barely seen anyone on Macrumors complaining about this issue. Problem unique to your iPhone 5 only?
He's intentionally causing the signal to drop by covering up the glass "windows" there is no problem.
tymaster50 is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:01 PM   #17
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
From the maker of
Why does iMessage revert to SMS sometimes?
Are you scared to update the iPhone 5 software?
Do you covet your lightning cable?
How can I tell if my iPhone 5 is bent?
Is it possible these scratches on my sim card are affecting signal?
If I have a good Geek Bench 2 score on my iPhone 5 does that mean its running at peak
Is the iPhone 5 retina display as sharp as the iPhone 4?
How can I tell if my iPhone 5 camera is shooting the best it can?
Is it possible doing a restore slowed my iPhone 5 down, really paranoid?

and countless other classics brings you Antenna gate on the iPhone 5
This post deserves a thousand points!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
He's intentionally causing the signal to drop by covering up the glass "windows" there is no problem.
I see. He must be pretty desperate at creating new threads.
Beeplance is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:12 PM   #18
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
This post deserves a thousand points!

----------



I see. He must be pretty desperate at creating new threads.
I look forward to what topic he can create next. More importantly the responses. This is great TC keep it up
tymaster50 is offline   0
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:17 PM   #19
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtludwig View Post
Since your phone is bent, it's causing problems for the antenna.

Lay it on a flat surface and smooth it out with a hammer. That will fix your antenna.
Trolling the troll. While he's at it with the hammer, might as well just smash the glass screen with it. It'll end ALL his iPhone 5 problems.
Beeplance is offline   0


Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5 Glue Gate (Not Really) Ayemerica iPhone 0 Sep 25, 2012 04:44 AM
iPhone 5 Black SCUFF GATE Deadlocked iPhone 2 Sep 21, 2012 05:45 AM
Map Gate or Scuff/Slate Gate which one is it going to be? Radiating Wasteland 2 Sep 20, 2012 10:49 AM
Is this going to be antenna gate all over again? richpuer iPhone 6 Sep 18, 2012 07:24 PM
Question about antenna-gate and iphone 5... FloridaMac iPhone 6 Jul 20, 2012 09:42 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC