Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:10 PM   #1
Dazant
macrumors member

In time for Christmas ?

So there is a rumor going on that the 27 iMac will be released end december... I was thinking about getting one for Christmas so do you guys think it will be released before ? It would be silly for apple to miss the holiday season ...
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:24 PM   #2
dbrewer80221
macrumors regular

I think that times have changed, and Apple is more focused on getting iPhones/iPods/iPads shipped out for the holidays - not iMacs.

Not to say people don't still buy computers for the holiday season, but I think there's more of a focus on portable devices now.

To answer your question, my best guess is that there will be pre-orders for both iMacs starting up next Friday, or the Friday after (November 9th or 16th), with 21 inch orders being delivered a week later (24th or Dec. 1st).

As far as the 27 inch model, it's probably going to start shipping in VERY limited volume around December 8th. Tim Cook has already stated that there will be supply constraints.
dbrewer80221 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:09 AM   #3
spcdust
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrewer80221 View Post
I think that times have changed, and Apple is more focused on getting iPhones/iPods/iPads shipped out for the holidays - not iMacs.

Not to say people don't still buy computers for the holiday season, but I think there's more of a focus on portable devices now.

To answer your question, my best guess is that there will be pre-orders for both iMacs starting up next Friday, or the Friday after (November 9th or 16th), with 21 inch orders being delivered a week later (24th or Dec. 1st).

As far as the 27 inch model, it's probably going to start shipping in VERY limited volume around December 8th. Tim Cook has already stated that there will be supply constraints.
I'm guessing the US will get priority and the UK may even have to wait until the New Year to get any 27" BTO iMacs delivered. I vaguely recall either Tim Cook or Phil Schiller even saying that the US would get them initially but I may be mistaken.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:17 AM   #4
forty2j
macrumors 68030

I have a feeling if you're not in the first day or two of preorders you may not see it till January. BTO may also be a problem.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:44 AM   #5
Hairlesswookiee
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty2j View Post
I have a feeling if you're not in the first day or two of preorders you may not see it till January. BTO may also be a problem.
Not to mention any possibility of a delay. I was hoping to get one before Xmas, but just figured late January would be a realistic expectation for me.
Hairlesswookiee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:52 AM   #6
McGiord
macrumors 68040

For the US, they know they will sell anything they have on stock anyways. The iPads and iPods will drive a lot of traffic into their stores, same thing due to the iPhones. Whatever Macs they are for offering they will sell.
They might leverage their sales volumes in April 2013 after the tax refunds checks are received, I know many people doing thee computers upgrades and purchases during this time frame instead of December. In December the preference is to buy many smaller items.
But yes if they can have it before the Christmas sales they can sell even more of them. The Macs are managed and produced by different teams, one for the MacBooks and other for the desktops, so the iOS ones are other teams of people producing them.
McGiord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:57 AM   #7
fastlanephil
macrumors 6502a

There are traditionally twelve days in christmas.
fastlanephil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:58 AM   #8
DrRadon
macrumors regular

I am amazed what people tend to hear. Some people say Cook said it was limited... i dident hear that in the keynote, i even rewatched the iMac part... now people claim to have heared US only but again itīs something that was not said in the keynote.

Why would it not be shipped before chrismas. Who is going to deliver the and sell the iMac on the few days between chrissmas and new years eve? And why would they not cash in on pre chrissmas sales?

This thing will be ready to be ordert soon enough to arive at chrissmas in many housholds. Everything else would be stupid.
DrRadon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:25 AM   #9
forty2j
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRadon View Post
I am amazed what people tend to hear. Some people say Cook said it was limited... i dident hear that in the keynote, i even rewatched the iMac part...
This was in the earnings call.

I don't know the source of the non-US delay suggestion though. Likely people just extrapolating from the supply issue.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:11 AM   #10
spcdust
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRadon View Post
I am amazed what people tend to hear. Some people say Cook said it was limited... i dident hear that in the keynote, i even rewatched the iMac part... now people claim to have heared US only but again itīs something that was not said in the keynote.

Why would it not be shipped before chrismas. Who is going to deliver the and sell the iMac on the few days between chrissmas and new years eve? And why would they not cash in on pre chrissmas sales?

This thing will be ready to be ordert soon enough to arive at chrissmas in many housholds. Everything else would be stupid.
When I mentioned the limited supply, initially US only I did qualify it by saying "....I may be mistaken", I never quoted it as fact but I had a feeling I picked this up from some where or the other, possibly I'm mistakenly re-iterating some one else who has got it wrong.

As far as people receiving it before Christmas, the 21" that's a given, I'm not so certain the same can be said for the 27" BTO. The whole announcing the iMac so far in advance and then not having any iMacs to sell in the mean time seems a little odd from a business POV. My guess is the pressure was on to announce an iMac update and this was premature as the screen yield issue has taken longer to sort out than anticipated. The whole screen yield thing would also make me cautious buying it considering this is a REV A, and Apple Rev A's are not always the best buys.

Ultimately I'm guessing 27" iMac sales, especially BTO, won't be much impacted wether they're delivered pre-holiday or post holiday, people in the market for these machines are going to buy anyway. The 21" off the shelf are more likely to be bought by your "average joe" so getting these into the shops for the holidays makes more sense.

Last edited by spcdust; Nov 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM.
spcdust is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac