Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:37 PM   #1
dbrewer80221
macrumors regular

iCloud, Photostreams and iPhoto - oh my!

So I have a question that hopefully someone around here can answer.

I love the iCloud/Photostream/iPhoto combination working together seamlessly. However I've run into an issue on the Mac version of iPhoto. My Photostreams don't get updated unless iPhoto is open.

I find myself looking for a photo to upload/attach in a web form, then I remember that iPhoto isn't running. So I have to fire up iPhoto, wait a good 3-5 minutes for all the pics to download, then I can attach whatever photo I need.

Wasn't the whole point of iCloud to make the content available on all devices? I wouldn't exactly call it "available" if I have to wait 5 minutes every time I want to look for a picture I took

Leaving iPhoto open is an option, but it's such a resource hog. I don't understand how people with larger photo libraries than me can use it. I only have a few thousand pictures and it's pretty slow.
dbrewer80221 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:56 PM   #2
kgs
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrewer80221 View Post
So I have a question that hopefully someone around here can answer.

I love the iCloud/Photostream/iPhoto combination working together seamlessly. However I've run into an issue on the Mac version of iPhoto. My Photostreams don't get updated unless iPhoto is open.

I find myself looking for a photo to upload/attach in a web form, then I remember that iPhoto isn't running. So I have to fire up iPhoto, wait a good 3-5 minutes for all the pics to download, then I can attach whatever photo I need.

Wasn't the whole point of iCloud to make the content available on all devices? I wouldn't exactly call it "available" if I have to wait 5 minutes every time I want to look for a picture I took

Leaving iPhoto open is an option, but it's such a resource hog. I don't understand how people with larger photo libraries than me can use it. I only have a few thousand pictures and it's pretty slow.
I think this is simply a misunderstanding of iCloud.

iCloud is a central repository for data. It _can_ push data to your devices, but that doesn't mean everything gets pushed.

In the case of Photostreams, it requires iPhoto be open to download data from iCloud. There is no "background" downloading going on with iPhoto and photo streams.

I agree, perhaps this should be an option, but I'm afraid there probably isn't a way around this.

I figured I'd at least try to help, even if it wasn't the answer you were looking for.
kgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:14 AM   #3
dbrewer80221
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgs View Post

In the case of Photostreams, it requires iPhoto be open to download data from iCloud. There is no "background" downloading going on with iPhoto and photo streams.

I agree, perhaps this should be an option, but I'm afraid there probably isn't a way around this.

I figured I'd at least try to help, even if it wasn't the answer you were looking for.
Thanks. It's funny that there are so many iCloud background services and processes running, and none of them are designed to automatically download photos, including the aptly named Photostream process...
dbrewer80221 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:31 AM   #4
isephmusic
macrumors 6502

submit an email to the dev so he can push it out on the next small update...

oh wait. this is apple lol
isephmusic is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store