Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Gala
macrumors regular

iPad Mini Upgrade Cycle

All this complaining about the non-retina display killing me. Apple needs to develop the supply chain for each new product they make. Once you look at it that way you can see why this 1st Gen iPad Mini was non-retina.

Now that the development and supply chain has been established they can add more "luxury" features to their products. We all know they would have loved to send out a retina version (and thats the one we all want), so my question is do you think the iPad Mini will make it a full cycle or do you think they will release a 2nd Gen. at the March or June iPad update cycle?
Gala is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:01 PM   #2
hyteckit

I'm guessing it depends on how well the iPad Mini sells.

If it doesn't sell well, you might see a refresh earlier.

Based on current sales, I say we might see a new iPad Mini in 6 months instead of the normal 1 year.

Looks like people are buying up the cheaper iPad Mini and there are plenty of 64GB left.
hyteckit is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:02 PM   #3
aam07
macrumors newbie

I hope Apple doesn't get into the habit of doing this. It would be great if they did upgrade the mini to a retina display.

But this makes me want to return my iPad mini LTE as soon as its delivered.
aam07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:21 PM   #4
fertilized-egg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gala View Post
All this complaining about the non-retina display killing me. Apple needs to develop the supply chain for each new product they make. Once you look at it that way you can see why this 1st Gen iPad Mini was non-retina.
The simpler answer would probably be that the current technology wouldn't have allowed Apple to make the iPad mini as thin and light at the price they charge if they went with Retina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gala View Post
so my question is do you think the iPad Mini will make it a full cycle or do you think they will release a 2nd Gen. at the March or June iPad update cycle?
I highly doubt they can pump out Retina starting in January when they are already having trouble making enough non-Retina display for mini. One year from now will probably about the soonest we can expect Retina, but obviously nobody outside Apple knows for sure.
fertilized-egg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:23 PM   #5
nanotoj
macrumors member

I got my 4S on launch last year and the Mini on launch this year so I like the Oct/Nov cycle, what Apple does is anyone's guess given all the product launch dates this year. I hope it is one year cycles now for the iPhone and iPads but while I dearly love my Mini if they put out a retina version at any time - I am on it.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:32 PM   #6
Booji
macrumors 6502

I'm thinking that the one year cycle may soon become history. The competition keeps upping the ante faster and faster, and unless Apple comes up with some radical innovation it takes the competition a year to copy, I think Apple has no choice but to join the hardware race.

6 months may become the new standard cycle.
Booji is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:34 PM   #7
caoap1
macrumors newbie

I don't think next ipad mini will have retina display
caoap1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:39 PM   #8
Hello...
macrumors 6502a

They are saving that for the ipad pro
Hello... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:40 PM   #9
Sodner
macrumors 68000

Loving my iPad mini even without a Retina display. I don't see a reason for all the complaining. The screen is more than adequate. I think most of the people complaining have yet to see the display.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:55 PM   #10
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoap1 View Post
I don't think next ipad mini will have retina display
And why should it? It's priced higher than the competition and still sells like hot cakes. Apple will ride that for a while yet.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad