Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:10 PM   #1
joshwithachance
macrumors 65816

Imagine if the iPad Mini 2 doesn't go retina?

I think half of the member's heads on here would explode.
joshwithachance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:15 PM   #2
nickftw8686
macrumors regular

Haha yeah the world will most likely end!
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:23 PM   #3
fertilized-egg
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickftw8686 View Post
Haha yeah the world will most likely end!
We went through the similar shenanigans with iPad 2, many said they won't buy iPad 2 without Retina (I was one of them) and some even said iPad 2 will fail without one. We know how that turned out. I was skeptical but I bought it and it was a great upgrade.
fertilized-egg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:27 PM   #4
joshwithachance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertilized-egg View Post
We went through the similar shenanigans with iPad 2, many said they won't buy iPad 2 without Retina (I was one of them) and some even said iPad 2 will fail without one. We know how that turned out. I was skeptical but I bought it and it was a great upgrade.
I loved my iPad 2 so much. It was my very first iPad. And even when the retina display 3rd generation one came out I stayed with it anyway
joshwithachance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:28 PM   #5
caoap1
macrumors newbie

most likely ipad mini 2 will not have retina display
caoap1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Screwball
macrumors regular

Quote:
There is some truth in what you're saying, but there is a slight difference!
As of now we have come to acknowledge the greatness of a Retina display, and in a way we've become used to it and even accept the fact that Retina display is becoming slowly but surely the standard display.
When iPad 2 was released we had no idea what a Retina display would have seen like.
From now on all because of this, the reception of any iPad variant could very well be the same ( not entirely enthusiastic ).
Screwball is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:36 PM   #7
mp0890
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoap1 View Post
most likely ipad mini 2 will not have retina display
oh really?
mp0890 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:45 PM   #8
fertilized-egg
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
As of now we have come to acknowledge the greatness of a Retina display, and in a way we've become used to it and even accept the fact that Retina display is becoming slowly but surely the standard display.
When iPad 2 was released we had no idea what a Retina display would have seen like.
Not quite true. We already knew what a Retina display looked like from iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4. Otherwise we wouldn't have cared much about it with iPad 2.
fertilized-egg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:03 PM   #9
penajmz
macrumors 6502a

Apple has pushed retina screens so much I don't see them omitting it on the iPad mini 2.
penajmz is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:05 PM   #10
bidwalj
macrumors 6502a

Even if they don't go retina, I see them making improvements to the larger one to make it more lighter and maybe cut the benzels to make it a bit smaller.

I personally don't see them not including it. How else can they push sales? The form factor and weight is perfect right now.
bidwalj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:18 PM   #11
fertilized-egg
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidwalj View Post
I personally don't see them not including it. How else can they push sales? The form factor and weight is perfect right now.
Twice the speed or even more if they go with A7, thinner if they laminate the display and do other things, iPhone 4S/5 level camera, etc. With the new model the sales will explode in the holiday season. We know the routine now.
fertilized-egg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:39 PM   #12
Screwball
macrumors regular

Quote:
Not quite true. We already knew what a Retina display looked like from iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4. Otherwise we wouldn't have cared much about it with iPad 2.
But even though we had known the Retina possibilities from the iPhone 4, in spite of all the rumours that maybe somehow it would be possible to do, it was also quite possible that eventually we wouldn't get a Retina display in a hand-held device with a diagonal screen size of 9.7 inches. Because let's be honest, it could have turned out that way as well. And also let's be honest, when we first saw that the iPad 3 sported the Retina display we al went inside " Holy *****"...Just think of how pretty impossible it would seem today to even think about a Retina 27-inch or 30-inch display...but come the year 2014 ( just guessing.. ) it will be here...
So the conclusion is that the way it is now, we have accepted the possibilities of the display manufacturing in the tablet segment, it is pretty clear that it is now a realistic desire to expect a Retina ( or near Retina quality ) display in the future iPad Mini.
I rest my case
Screwball is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:55 PM   #13
kas23
macrumors 603

Everyone calm down. The iPad mini 2 will have Retina. It's always interesting to see how some people have very short memories. Just look back a few years at the evolutions of the iPhone, iPod, and iPad. Apple purposely held back features in every single on of these devices. It's Apple's MO to help sell the next generation device. We've seen this story play out before. Same story, different device.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:28 PM   #14
iAi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
I think half of the member's heads on here would explode.
I recommend suicide watch to those overly dramatic posters who created threads about the first gen as a first world problem not being retina.
iAi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:33 PM   #15
GBR
macrumors regular

let's not talk of such terrible things!!
15" MacBook Pro Retina & 27" Thunderbolt Display
GBR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:35 PM   #16
fertilized-egg
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
So the conclusion is that the way it is now, we have accepted the possibilities of the display manufacturing in the tablet segment, it is pretty clear that it is now a realistic desire to expect a Retina ( or near Retina quality ) display in the future iPad Mini.
I rest my case
It's actually iPad 3 and 4 that make me understand why Apple didn't go with Retina. Apple had to cram a much larger battery into 3rd gen to make Retina work and as result we got a tablet that was (very slightly) thicker and heavier than the previous generation yet its battery didn't last as long as the previous generation. So we already saw the limitation of a Retina display. Seeing how the lower price and the lighter weight were the big selling points of iPad mini, I think Retina just wasn't possible here at this point in time.
fertilized-egg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad