Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:22 PM   #1
GBR
macrumors regular

Very strong kid-proof iPad mini case?

Anyone know of any very strong kid-proof iPad mini cases? Or I guess even a company that makes a quality kids iPad 2/3 case that I should keep my eye on for making a mini case?

Very importantly it must protect the screen well.
15" MacBook Pro Retina & 27" Thunderbolt Display
GBR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:30 PM   #2
glen e
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post
Anyone know of any very strong kid-proof iPad mini cases? Or I guess even a company that makes a quality kids iPad 2/3 case that I should keep my eye on for making a mini case?

Very importantly it must protect the screen well.
otterbox is the defacto extreme standard
glen e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:23 AM   #3
ame8199
macrumors member

Otter box..... I work in a school for children with autism and all of our iPads have otter box cases on them. They have held up very very well despite the kids behaviors
Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:21 AM   #4
mausdesign
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up GumDrop Cases, Otterbox, or Griffin Technologies

Try checking out Gumdropcases.com for their DropTech series cases. They make a tough case from our experience with two boys who have severe autism. The case took almost a year of hard beatings (thrown down) before our iPad 2 finally broke in this case, which the company replaced. The hard rubber is good and has a replaceable overlay screen in the larger iPad case models - not sure if this is true with the new mini case.

We may buy another of the gumdrop cases for our new mini, or we may re-consider the Otterbox iPad mini cases, since they are back to making it with an integrated non-adhering overlay screen now (finally) that the iPad 2 case didn't have. It has a design similar to the original iPad Defender case with the snap-on front cover/stand -- their iPad 2 case had stick-on protectors (really bad for the screen coating), while their original iPad case was the best with its overlay screen and cover with built-in stand.

One other one we are waiting to see about is the Survivor series by Griffin Technologies -- worth watching their testing videos. They beat the crap out of them in many interesting ways.

Right now only the GumDrop mini case appears to have "Kid Colors", but only if ordered directly through them. I think the three "military grade" iPad mini cases these companies make are all about $60.00.

Update:
After reviewing all three of these options above, we ended up ordering this earlier this morning in blue/pink for our two girls (9 and 8), since the boys (both 6) have shown they are not yet ready for another iPad:
http://www.gumdropcases.com/ipad-min...er-series.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

30+ Macs and iDevices all the way back to the Original 128K "Signature" Mac.
plus... 1 Commodore 128, 1 Commodore 64, 1 Timex Sinclair 1000, and 0 (zero) Windows PCs

Last edited by mausdesign; Nov 4, 2012 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Update
mausdesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories