Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LilShants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Hi, I am going nuts. I just bought a Midi interface (the UNO by M-Audio) and have a powerbook G4 with garageband, as well as a Yamaha Portable Grand DGX-200 Keyboard. For some reason, I installed the driver and it shows up on the powerbook and in Garageband, but when I play there is this weird low rubmbling noise. Sometimes it sounds like a piano, and sometimes it sounds like thunder. Has this happened to anyone else and what should I do? is it just a faulty Uno? Also, how do you make it so you can record the sound off the keyboard, and not the garageband software instruments? Sorry, I'm clearly a newbie at all this stuff, and I am having some issues. Thanks for ANY help you could offer.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
First of all, welcome to the forum. Secondly, multiple posts of the same topic in multiple places is frowned upon. :(

You can not technically record the sounds on your keyboard via MIDI. MIDI is just ones and zeros, and has no audio content. To record the sounds from your keyboard you will want to run the audio output of the keyboard into your PB, either via an 1/4 to 1/8 adapter, or a audio break-out box. Then you would not use the MIDI outputs, but use audio. Got it?? ;)

As for the rumble, it sounds like maybe a MIDI note is stuck on. I do not have Garageband, but there should be an option somewhere near the MIDI Settings that says something to the effect of "Turn all MIDI notes off". If that does not fix it it may be the interface (maybe it is transmitting random data??), or it could be a setting on your keyboard. Other than that i am not too sure what the problem is causing the low-pitched sounds.

Good luck, with it and post back if you need more help.

LilShants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Thanks, and sorry for posting more than once...I've never posted here and had no idea how many people are on or anything. oops. Thanks for you help, I'm working on figuring this out.

jocclev

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2007
Yamaha DGX-200 MIDI Mac OS X Roar

I saw the post about the Midi Mac Os x Yamaha DGX-200 sound problem. Has there been an answer. Having same problem. Need Help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.