Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:49 PM   #1
Garrett67
macrumors regular

How do I sell my iPhone 5 that is under contract?

I'm sure these are dumb questions, but I have never done it.

I don't know if I'm going to sell it but I'm thinking about it.

I'm under contract w/Verizon, had the phone for 5 weeks, 32GB white.
I'm thinking Ebay, they're going for roughly $800 - $900

What steps do I have to take in order to sell it but also get another phone to replace it?

Do I sell this phone first and use the money to buy a replacement?
or would I have to buy the other phone first ? I ask that because I assume that my number is tied to that phone until I get a new one.

I remove the Sim card? right?

Will the buyer be able to activate the phone even though it is attached to my account?

I don't know how these things work. Sorry, I just don't want to screw anyone over, including myself.

Thank you.
Garrett67 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:55 PM   #2
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Seeing as the Verizon iPhone 5s are sim unlocked, all you have to do is remove your sim card and whoever buys it can use it on any GSM network. If you do not remove it from your account before selling and the person who buys it, wants to use it for Verizon (CDMA) it wont work. It must be removed from your account before it can be activated on another Verizon account. This applies to Verizon only.

I would suggest you replace the line with another phone first and then sell the phone. All you need to do is remove your sim and just list on eBay.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:56 PM   #3
macingman
macrumors 68020

I have no idea but the materialism of most Americans is shocking. You've had the phone for just 5 weeks, be happy with it. If you want another phone that bad you should have shopped around better before you purchased. The money you want to spend on the new phone would be better of in someone else's hands than yours.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:57 PM   #4
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macingman View Post
I have no idea but the materialism of most Americans is shocking. You've had the phone for just 5 weeks, be happy with it. If you want another phone that bad you should have shopped around better before you purchased. The money you want to spend on the new phone would be better of in someone else's hands than yours.
No one was asking for your judgement.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:03 PM   #5
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsy90 View Post
No one was asking for your judgement.
Not judgement. I'm allowed to have my opinion. If you don't like it, move on.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:06 PM   #6
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yes, by saying how materialistic Americans are, you are clearly implying that about the OP. So, yes you are judging him. He asked for help, if you dont have any, move on.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:12 PM   #7
Oridus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Definitely was unsolicited... That being said, I don't think he even mentioned why he's selling it. It could be a multitude of reasons. I go though 6-14 phones a year, most of which are provided by work.... Just because of go through that many new phones, does that mean I'm materialistic? Or does it mean that the description I gave you have too much room for speculation.... Too much to the point it would be entirely rude of you to make any comment?

FYI, in case you wanted to be judgmental and make a comment such as I AM materialistic, I go through that many phones because I work in the cellular industry, and it's important to know the product I work with.... Therefor work provides me with my devices.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:16 PM   #8
Aduntu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Thank you. I have long worried that American's intelligence levels are falling behind other industrialized nations. After your useless and irrelevant comment, I can see that my concernces are totally unfounded.
Aduntu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:16 PM   #9
Doc750
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I have no idea but the materialism of most Americans is shocking.

That's why it rocks to be an American! Keep hatin ...
Doc750 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:19 PM   #10
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc750 View Post
That's why it rocks to be an American! Keep hatin ...
Not really. I'm not hating. Just saying my opinion. Here in Australia I can buy anything I want too. It just seems ludicrous to me to want to replace a phone after 5 weeks. Anyway, moving on.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aduntu View Post
Thank you. I have long worried that American's intelligence levels are falling behind other industrialized nations. After your useless and irrelevant comment, I can see that my concernces are totally unfounded.
No problem. I am not American however.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:21 PM   #11
Aduntu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No problem. I am not American however.
You don't say...
Aduntu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:22 PM   #12
kannesss
Banned

Asking about selling a phone turned into this...?
Yeah we are all ****** doomed.
kannesss is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:29 PM   #13
Garrett67
macrumors regular

Quote:

I am happy with it, I love my iPhone. Nowhere in my post did I state my feelings about the phone.

So, unless you have something useful to say, bite me.
Garrett67 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:30 PM   #14
darster
macrumors 68000

Sell it in Australia. They tend to fall for overpriced iPhones. Gullible lot they are.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:34 PM   #15
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett67 View Post
How do I sell my iPhone 5 that is under contract?
Your phone isn't under contract. Your service is under contract.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:38 PM   #16
Garrett67
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
Your phone isn't under contract. Your service is under contract.
You are correct, that is what I meant.

I just didn't know if I sold it and someone else tried to activate it if something would get tied up and not allow them to activate it.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:42 PM   #17
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett67 View Post
You are correct, that is what I meant.

I just didn't know if I sold it and someone else tried to activate it if something would get tied up and not allow them to activate it.
Only for Verizon, you must deactivate it from your account before it can be activated on another account.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:52 AM   #18
andyx3x
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsy90 View Post
Only for Verizon, you must deactivate it from your account before it can be activated on another account.
Yes, this is important. Many people don't do this before they sell a Verizon iPhone and it causes problems for the buyer.
andyx3x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:05 AM   #19
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Why do you care? I don't smoke but I'm going to go buy a big cigar and light it with a $100 bill..... simply because I can. What you think about that?

Last edited by AFDoc; Nov 4, 2012 at 01:14 AM.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:08 AM   #20
Oridus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
Why do you care? I don't smoke but I'm going to go buy a big cigar and light it with a $100 bill..... simply because I can. What you think about that?
Save one for me
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:41 AM   #21
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
I actually don't care about the OP specifically, I was commenting on what I have seen generally looking at American culture. Quite a shame considering your country wastes $165 billion worth of food when 1 in 5 Americans struggle to put food on the table.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:55 AM   #22
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

America's great isn't it? You can start a lawsuit here over anything, the internet plans are way overpriced, almost every company does tax evasion, the politicians are corrupt, a good percentage is overweight, most of us don't even know the world's geography and we're very gullible and easily entertained. 'Murica #1!
tymaster50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:58 AM   #23
SprSynJn

I'm actually curious now. Why are you selling it op?
SprSynJn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:01 AM   #24
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I actually don't care about the OP specifically, I was commenting on what I have seen generally looking at American culture. Quite a shame considering your country wastes $165 billion worth of food when 1 in 5 Americans struggle to put food on the table.
Lol just hacking on you. I for one agree with you and also agree that Americans in general are a greedy self absorbed populous that say they aren't by stating how much they donate time or money to charity. Of course I'm being very general but you get my point. As a general rule we whine about EVERYTHING that we think is taking away some of our "rights". I've read the Constitution several times and I don't see any where in the document where it's a guarantee that we can own a 100 round magazine for an AR15, yet some will insist that owning that magazine is one of our protected rights. We whine about crappy roads yet whine about the taxes needed to fix them. We say we have the best healthcare system in the world and maybe it is if you can afford it, yet we are way down on the list for actual health of our nation.

As a general rule I agree with how most of the rest of the world views us. (those that have actually spent time living outside the US probably understand what I mean) It's pretty sad but when you're founded by religious zealots and people that didn't want to pay their taxes you're bound to run into trouble. However the idea of America is what makes our country great, even IF it's been usurped by those that equate person wealth with success/happiness.

Last edited by AFDoc; Nov 4, 2012 at 04:09 AM.
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:26 AM   #25
Garrett67
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprSynJn View Post
I'm actually curious now. Why are you selling it op?
Because I'm an American and I can do whatever I want to.

And LOL at this thread, all because I want to sell a mobile phone. I'm glad I didn't ask anything serious.

Last edited by Garrett67; Nov 4, 2012 at 08:01 AM.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone