Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:52 AM   #1
bniu
macrumors 6502a

iPad mini: Finger hitting multiple buttons now!

I got really excited about the mini and picked one up on launch day. I'm now starting to consider sending it back. My main complaint is the UI got shrunken down, but my fingers are still the same size.

For example, if on the iPad 2 there were 8 buttons across perfectly optimized for my finger to hit one, and only one, now on the mini, the 8 buttons are physically closer together, resulting in me hitting more than one simultaneously!

Browsing on Safari, I constantly was hitting tabs when I was going for the back button.

On the iPhone, the entire UI is different, and is not a 9.7" UI shrunken down to 4". Anyone else having the same problem I'm having?
bniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:00 AM   #2
hyteckit

Apple and developers might have to make a bunch of UI changes.

Apple needs to let users change font size and app button size in safari and other apps.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:02 AM   #3
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
I got really excited about the mini and picked one up on launch day. I'm now starting to consider sending it back. My main complaint is the UI got shrunken down, but my fingers are still the same size.

For example, if on the iPad 2 there were 8 buttons across perfectly optimized for my finger to hit one, and only one, now on the mini, the 8 buttons are physically closer together, resulting in me hitting more than one simultaneously!

Browsing on Safari, I constantly was hitting tabs when I was going for the back button.

On the iPhone, the entire UI is different, and is not a 9.7" UI shrunken down to 4". Anyone else having the same problem I'm having?
Steve Jobs suggested Apple to include sandpaper in the package so that we can sand down our fingers to half the current size. He was talking about 7" tablets, so for 7.85", you can sand it down less, maybe 2/3
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:06 AM   #4
ixodes
macrumors 601

It's a non issue for millions. Yet Apple cannot possibly satisfy everyone. If it doesn't work for you, just don't use one.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:07 AM   #5
OTACORB
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
It's a non issue for millions. Yet Apple cannot possibly satisfy everyone. If it doesn't work for you, just don't use one.
Hey, Hey... don't come in here using good logical common sense. You know that iPad Mini is flawed. The icons are shrunk and barely visible with that non-retina display. LOL
iPad rMini 32GB White Wifi
OTACORB is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:11 AM   #6
supertomtom
macrumors regular

Quote:
My main complaint is the UI got shrunken down, but my fingers are still the same size.
Sandpaper is cheap.
supertomtom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:12 AM   #7
rgarjr
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertomtom View Post
Sandpaper is cheap.
ouch
rgarjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:24 AM   #8
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTACORB View Post
Hey, Hey... don't come in here using good logical common sense. You know that iPad Mini is flawed. The icons are shrunk and barely visible with that non-retina display. LOL
That common sense can be quite inappropriate.

I must've slipped...
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:28 AM   #9
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
Oh please. Don't bring logic mere!
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:32 AM   #10
CyberMew
macrumors newbie

Then what about the iPhone?
CyberMew is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:39 AM   #11
OdT22
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMew View Post
Then what about the iPhone?
Shhhh!
OdT22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:47 AM   #12
iExpensive
macrumors 6502

You're fingering it wrong.
iExpensive is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:04 AM   #13
nabwong
macrumors regular

How about dieting?

Just kidding.
nabwong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:15 AM   #14
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68030

Send it back! This is the MBA all over again.
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:38 AM   #15
emaja
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I don't see how this is an issue since you already have an iPhone and have to adjust from that to the iPad now.
emaja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:36 AM   #16
Hpye
macrumors 6502

Quote:

so you dont use safari on your iPhone? which one is smaller
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:56 AM   #17
hugesaggyboobs
Banned

Quote:

I totally agree with this and I've been saying this all along.

Everything gets smaller and closer together. UIs need to change for the Mini.
hugesaggyboobs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:57 AM   #18
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:

You'll adapt. It's what humans do.
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:59 AM   #19
hugesaggyboobs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpye View Post
so you dont use safari on your iPhone? which one is smaller
You realize that the Mini is using unchanged iPad 9.7 user interfaces? That these user interfaces are more cluttered than the iPhone versions?

Take Safari for instance. On the iPhone, the UI elements are FARTHER apart. To me I knew people would complain about scaling iPad 2 interfaces down to the Mini. You can't just scale down these UIs and expect everything to work. They're scaling down by an order of about 20%. I can see instances where UIs for the Mini need to be custom to account for the smaller screen.

Look at how small that URL bar looks in Safari on the Mini!
hugesaggyboobs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad