Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:42 AM   #1
confusedinmo
macrumors newbie

Unlock an unactivated Sprint iPhone 4s?

I've purchased a pre owned iPhone 4s direct from Sprint. I'm looking to use this phone in England, Belgium and Turkey in a couple weeks. I'm going to be over seas for 5 weeks and would rather not have to activate with sprint and pay 2 months of service that I won't be using.

Any methods to unlock it without first activating it so that I can use it with international sims or do I just need to return it?
confusedinmo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:16 AM   #2
Redsew
macrumors newbie

Please provide more details like how much gb, iOS version, etc...
Redsew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:20 AM   #3
confusedinmo
macrumors newbie

It is 32gb. Unsure of iOS version as it won't be delivered until Monday.
confusedinmo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:00 AM   #4
dhlizard
macrumors G3

Honestly, you picked the wrong phone.

If you want to use a phone worldwide, you should have bought a GSM phone which can be unlocked easily.

A CDMA 4S can be unlocked using a sim interposer, but some/many do not work on iOS6 firmware and those unlocks are sometimes unreliable.

You can use Google/eBay to search for a grey market vendor to unlock a CDMA phone and may find one.

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:33 AM   #5
SenseiPhone
macrumors regular

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedinmo View Post
I've purchased a pre owned iPhone 4s direct from Sprint. I'm looking to use this phone in England, Belgium and Turkey in a couple weeks. I'm going to be over seas for 5 weeks and would rather not have to activate with sprint and pay 2 months of service that I won't be using.

Any methods to unlock it without first activating it so that I can use it with international sims or do I just need to return it?
Yes, you can use factory unlock service to unlock the Sprint iPhone without having to activate it with Sprint account. You even need to have it not tied to an active account to unlock it.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:28 AM   #6
LindaFactUnlock
macrumors newbie

Post Ahh..

The factory unlock for sprint iPhone is very pricey, it isn't worth it either considering that the iPhone is CDMA. The server I use to do factory unlocks currently has a "beta" testing to unlock Sprint iPhones. Pretty expensive to do... 130 up just for the factory unlock for the sprint iphone 4s.. :|
LindaFactUnlock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:27 PM   #7
steve10O
macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure when the Sprint 4S was released, it came unlocked for international use. They sent out a carrier update a few months later that locked it again, but I'm pretty sure they also issued a statement saying that if you are a customer in good standing, you can just call in and have it unlocked. With that being said, I'm not sure if you are a Sprint customer, but there is no reason that they should deny your request to unlock it if you aren't a customer.
steve10O is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:37 PM   #8
labman
macrumors 604

A GSM phone on AT&T for example can run you about $4 on Ebay. not sure how long it will last but it's pretty awesome for now.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks