Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:43 AM   #1
Jacoblee23
macrumors 6502

During a phone call my face keeps hitting different buttons.

This is happening with my iphone 5, and also happened with my 4s. I wil be on the phone and all of a sudden I have hit my contacts or something else. It even sent a facetime request to someone in my contacts while I was on the phone. How do I prevent this from happening?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:58 AM   #2
TM WAZZA
macrumors 68000

Is the proximity sensor working?

The screen is supposed to turn off.
TM WAZZA is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:10 AM   #3
Redsew
macrumors newbie

Something's wrong with your face...
Naw, just messing.... But seems to be something wrong with your screen or the light detecting unit on your phone. When the phone sees no light then the screen automatically shuts off on a phone call, and when you put the phone away from your ear it detects light and will then turn the screen back on. You should first make sure if its the way you angle your phone, if you notice that there is no way that light is going to the phone, call apple support and they may fix it or swap it out with another phone. This is of course if you haven't dropped your phone or anything.
Redsew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:11 AM   #4
Bishwasher
macrumors regular

Option 1) Use your earpods.

Option 2) Stick your phone on loudspeaker.

Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:29 AM   #5
SunnyStudioNeo
macrumors regular

Check your proximity sensor
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:02 AM   #6
luckyarcher
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyStudioNeo View Post
Check your proximity sensor
Proximity sensor is doing fine and well, just asked him.

Any useful suggestions?
luckyarcher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:14 AM   #7
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyarcher View Post
Proximity sensor is doing fine and well, just asked him.

Any useful suggestions?
My proximity sensor completely stayed on one time. My screen stayed completely black, and I couldn't even end the call!

What worked for me?

I did a hard restart on the phone, charged it back up to 100% and after that it's been fine since.
numberforty1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:16 AM   #8
SnowDX
macrumors 6502

This used to happen to us all the time on our iPhone 4's if we were connected to Bluetooth. I'd be connected to Bluetooth in the vehicle, I'd get a call and answer on my phone (as the passenger, no access to the handsfree buttons which are on the steering wheel for the driver) and during the call my face would be muting the call, flipping to speakerphone and trying to FaceTime.

I was hoping this was resolved with the 5 but I haven't had opportunity to test it yet.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:05 PM   #9
mattroman246
macrumors 6502

useless reply, but i miss the look of the iphone 4/4s proximity sensor, was pretty cool
Game Center ID: matthewdanger
mattroman246 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:06 PM   #10
Eldiablojoe
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDX View Post
This used to happen to us all the time on our iPhone 4's if we were connected to Bluetooth. I'd be connected to Bluetooth in the vehicle, I'd get a call and answer on my phone (as the passenger, no access to the handsfree buttons which are on the steering wheel for the driver) and during the call my face would be muting the call, flipping to speakerphone and trying to FaceTime.

I was hoping this was resolved with the 5 but I haven't had opportunity to test it yet.
Even without bluetooth enabled on my iPhone4, my proximity sensor wouldn't disable the call functions and my cheek was constantly hitting the mute button during calls. ****** frustrating (I know, First World Problems lol).
Eldiablojoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:58 PM   #11
soldierblue
macrumors 6502

I had an iPhone 4 with that issue. It was a proximity sensor problem, took a warranty swap to correct.
soldierblue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:34 PM   #12
yinz
macrumors 6502a

I don't understand this problem at all.

Why don't you people learn to hold the phone properly?

The screen doesn't have to be touching your face for the other side to hear you.
yinz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:44 PM   #13
thatoneguy82
macrumors Demi-God

Do you not hold your phone closely to your face? Or do you lift the ear piece right above your ear so it's not right against it? If so, then you're really not holding it correctly. If you really HAVE to hold it like this. Press the home button after you make/receive a call, at least this way you can reduce the chances of doing something that may mess up the call.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinz View Post
I don't understand this problem at all.

Why don't you people learn to hold the phone properly?

The screen doesn't have to be touching your face for the other side to hear you.

Screen? Yes, doesn't have to be.

Ear piece? It needs to be against your ear to turn off the screen.
thatoneguy82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:00 PM   #14
yinz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy82 View Post
Do you not hold your phone closely to your face? Or do you lift the ear piece right above your ear so it's not right against it? If so, then you're really not holding it correctly. If you really HAVE to hold it like this. Press the home button after you make/receive a call, at least this way you can reduce the chances of doing something that may mess up the call.

----------

Screen? Yes, doesn't have to be.

Ear piece? It needs to be against your ear to turn off the screen.
Put the speaker up to your ear. Keep the microphone and screen away from your face. Technique... perfected. Seriously, I have not had any problems with talking on the phone. I just don't understand how people can accidentally press buttons while talking on their phones.

If you find that your iPhone's screen is oily after you talked on it, then you are doing it wrong.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:17 PM   #15
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

Like everyone says, check the proximity sensor. Make sure it is not covered by a case. Some screen protectors can cause a problem.

A lot of misleading info here. The ambient light theory from above would never work otherwise the phone wouldn't work in the dark or if the screen was off.

There is an infrared transmitter and receiver built into the sensor. When your face/ear is near the sensor the light reflects back into the receiver. When this infrared reflection is detected the display is disabled preventing your face from causing problems.
Givmeabrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:19 PM   #16
thatoneguy82
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinz View Post
Put the speaker up to your ear. Keep the microphone and screen away from your face. Technique... perfected. Seriously, I have not had any problems with talking on the phone. I just don't understand how people can accidentally press buttons while talking on their phones.

If you find that your iPhone's screen is oily after you talked on it, then you are doing it wrong.
The screen being oily part hardly matters. Once the screen turns off, you can push the screen against your face. At times, this happens to me. All that matters is the proximity sensor by the speaker is against your ear to allow the screen to turn off.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by givmeabrek View Post
there is an infrared transmitter and receiver built into the sensor. When your face/ear is near the sensor the light reflects back into the receiver. When this infrared reflection is detected the display is disabled preventing your face from causing problems.
+1
thatoneguy82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:22 PM   #17
yinz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy82 View Post
The screen being oily part hardly matters. Once the screen turns off, you can push the screen against your face. At times, this happens to me. All that matters is the proximity sensor by the speaker is against your ear to allow the screen to turn off.

----------

+1
The oily screen is an indication and not the cause. You are not misinterpreting me.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone