Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MusicEnthusiast

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Los Angeles
Do you flip your Smart Cover to the back while using or holding your iPad? Or do you take it off? I tend to flip it to the back but it feels a little awkward.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
This, as you should really..

Attachments

• DSC_2673.jpg
    DSC_2673.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 202

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I have the black mini with red smartcover too.... but if I held it like that it would fall :|

When you're holding it comfortably, see that your fingers are actually resting on the second segment and not awkwardly on the edge. That'll support it because only the end part will cling on.

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
When you're holding it comfortably, see that your fingers are actually resting on the second segment and not awkwardly on the edge. That'll support it because only the end part will cling on.
oh, that works actually. thanks for the heads up!

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I too flip it over like the picture. Oh and I'm still waiting for apple to come out with the same metal free hinge smart covers like the mini's.

MusicEnthusiast

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Los Angeles
I too flip it over like the picture. Oh and I'm still waiting for apple to come out with the same metal free hinge smart covers like the mini's.

This is one motivating reason why I am going to return my smart cover this Saturday. It is a cool accessory, but I'm afraid of the metal hinge scratching my iPad over time. The microfiber also leaves vertical streaks down my screen where the ridges are.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
This is one motivating reason why I am going to return my smart cover this Saturday. It is a cool accessory, but I'm afraid of the metal hinge scratching my iPad over time. The microfiber also leaves vertical streaks down my screen where the ridges are.

Yep, I noticed the same thing (vertical streaks) when I had the smart cover for my iPad 2. I didn't go that same route with the iPad Mini.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I should clean it within the first 2 days of owning it? I don't know about that... I think it's just the design of the smart cover.

ok - don't...fine with me, but that's what doing it...

I own four large poly smart covers and 2 minis.... as soon as I get them the first thing I do is spray them down with 409 and scrub, to get off the manufacturing residue (plasticizers).... from then on, they are fine...I do the same thing biweekly...

Last edited:

Jimbo Asprilla

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2009
Holding it while on the couch - take it off

Holding it while standing up - fold it flat around the back

Laid down on a table while typing - fold round the back

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

I'm betting those will come with the 5th Gen iPads since the metal clasp ones still fit the current gen.

----------

I have the black mini with red smartcover too.... but if I held it like that it would fall :|

I had the same combo... but I hated that shade of red. Too "orange". Wish they would have gone with a darker shade like the leather full sized red cover.

Last edited:

rhildinger

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2006

Just FYI in case you don't already know: Those vertical streaks are not caused by the something oily or dirty in the ridges of the smart cover. They are caused by the fact that the flat segments between the ridges are acting as a polishing cloth for the glass, cleaning the area where it touches the scree. Unfortunately the ridge areas do not touch, so all the normal fingerprint smudge and oil stays in that area and never gets polished away.

-Robert

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
Just FYI in case you don't already know: Those vertical streaks are not caused by the something oily or dirty in the ridges of the smart cover. They are caused by the fact that the flat segments between the ridges are acting as a polishing cloth for the glass, cleaning the area where it touches the scree. Unfortunately the ridge areas do not touch, so all the normal fingerprint smudge and oil stays in that area and never gets polished away.

-Robert

This.

Want to get rid of the streaks? Just close the cover and slide it back and forth so that the area under the ridges gets cleaned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.