Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:20 AM   #1
ET iPhone Home
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Orange County, California USA
Will messages be blocked when turning off iMessage and SMS Message on 4S?

By turning OFF iMessage and SMS Message, will it send an alert to the sender that I am unavailable to receive text messages? Or will all text messages be backed up and come all at once as soon as I turn it back on?

I was just wondering if by turning these two off in settings, if this process would be similar when sending an email to a misspelled/incorrect email address and you receive a MailerDaemon to alert you that your email was not sent properly.

Thanks.
__________________
2011 MBA
Black iPhone 4S 32GB
ET iPhone Home is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:14 AM   #2
erratikmind
macrumors 6502a
 
erratikmind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: S.F./Las Vegas
Depending on your carrier, you can send yourself a message from your computer.
erratikmind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET iPhone Home View Post
By turning OFF iMessage and SMS Message, will it send an alert to the sender that I am unavailable to receive text messages? Or will all text messages be backed up and come all at once as soon as I turn it back on?

I was just wondering if by turning these two off in settings, if this process would be similar when sending an email to a misspelled/incorrect email address and you receive a MailerDaemon to alert you that your email was not sent properly.

Thanks.
Where do you see the option to turn of sms messages?
I only see imessage, mms, group and character count.
There's no way to disable sms text messages on the iphone.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:32 AM   #4
ET iPhone Home
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Orange County, California USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Where do you see the option to turn of sms messages?
I only see imessage, mms, group and character count.
There's no way to disable sms text messages on the iphone.
If you look in SETTINGS > MESSAGES, you will see the following:

iMessage ON/OFF

SMS/MMS

MMS MESSAGING ON/OFF
CHARACTER COUNT ON/OFF

I assume MMS took care for both SMS & MMS since it was titled that way. Maybe, as you stated, it took care of only MMS and not SMS.

Anyway, someone texted me and I received it, so it answered my question - You can't block texts momentarily. And it will not send an "UNAVAILABLE" msg. to sender by turning these OFF.
__________________
2011 MBA
Black iPhone 4S 32GB
ET iPhone Home is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:33 AM   #5
bogatyr
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
SMS and MMS are stored at the provider. If you want them blocked you have to request it from your provider. Even when blocked, I don't believe there is a rejection notice.
bogatyr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:34 AM   #6
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET iPhone Home View Post
If you look in SETTINGS > MESSAGES, you will see the following:

iMessage ON/OFF

SMS/MMS

MMS MESSAGING ON/OFF
CHARACTER COUNT ON/OFF

I assume MMS took care for both SMS & MMS since it was titled that way. Maybe, as you stated, it took care of only MMS and not SMS.

Anyway, someone texted me and I received it, so it answered my question - You can't block texts momentarily. And it will not send an "UNAVAILABLE" msg. to sender by turning these OFF.


That only turns off mms messaging.
Not regural sms texts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069.PNG
Views:	6
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	374969  
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC