Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randystand

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I put my iPhone 5 on charge at night, I wake up and it's at 100% full charge, I take the lighting connector out and it immediately jumps to 99%. So I turn the phone off & then back on and it's at 100% again and takes a good while on Safari or twitter or Facebook to decrease. I've drained it totally and re charged it etc. Not sure what's wrong with it. Any ideas?

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I put my iPhone 5 on charge at night, I wake up and it's at 100% full charge, I take the lighting connector out and it immediately jumps to 99%. So I turn the phone off & then back on and it's at 100% again and takes a good while on Safari or twitter or Facebook to decrease. I've drained it totally and re charged it etc. Not sure what's wrong with it. Any ideas?

Yeah happens to me too. In fact, its been this way since the 4 and 4S.
Seems like it gets better, and goes away the older the phone gets.
I get excellent battery life, it just seems that the software and the battery arent exactly in perfect sync.

I really don't know why it does it. As long as you get good battery life, don't worry about it.

propalitet

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
At some point when it's fully charged, it will stop charging and start discharging, when it drops to a certain point it will start charging again. It will still show 100% but when you disconnect it shows actual charge. At least that's how it works on macbooks. I guess to prevent overheating and/or keeping the battery healthy.
If you want it to be at 100% you need to disconnect it and connect it again until it's at 100% again.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
well the phone is never really at "full" charge. It just stops charging once it reaches 100% to save battery, then it dies a little when you take it off. When you see that prong symbol on the battery that means its not gonna charge anymore unless you do something to drain the battery

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.