Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unbdm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
I bought a mini, as my first ipad, and really like it. I am keeping it without a doubt.

However, my wife, son, and daughter all love it as well. I was pondering ordering 3 more for Christmas. However, I have a hunch hardware performance vs time curve will be steep for this product line. My hesitation in commiting to this product (I'm calling buying 4 of them committing) isn't upgrade fever, it's more that the resolution standard will be changing, and I'm afraid support for the A5 and non retina will be a shorter usefull life; As an example, I kept my iphone 3G (non S) for over 3 years, and upgrading to IOS4 is what rendered it too slow to enjoy, but I needed the upgrade for current apps, therefore it's functional life ended (but was long, and worked out well imho).

I think rather than a big ipad Christmas, I'll consdier one for my wife, then upgrade next year, and let the old models trickle through the family... An ipad Christmas would have been fun, but I'm thinking not this year...

Thoughts?

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
That's a tricky one. I guess it comes down to this question. In a year, if the new mini comes out with a retina, faster chip etc would that make you regret getting your family iPads for Christmas?

SunnyStudioNeo

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
Get at least a 9.7 inch iPad, you won't regret. I have all serious of I-product, the big iPad is by far the best

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
New tech is always on the rise.
If you want to buy them iPads, do it!
There is always something newer and better on its way. Just buy them and be happy! iPad Christmas for everyone! :D

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
New tech is always on the rise.
If you want to buy them iPads, do it!
There is always something newer and better on its way. Just buy them and be happy! iPad Christmas for everyone! :D

You are never gonna beat the tech curve. I say just buy them what they want and let them upgrade in a few years if they want to.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
In our house of 4 people I've always spread the tech purchases out such that we weren't buying or upgrading at at once. I do this with phones, iPads, computers, etc. That way I buy a couple of units one year and it gets at least a couple of years of use and gets replaced before it's no longer supported. Of course, I always make sure I have the latest, with my kids next in line and my wife getting the lowest level at any given time (she hates tech but admits she needs it). lol

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I bought a mini, as my first ipad, and really like it. I am keeping it without a doubt.

However, my wife, son, and daughter all love it as well. I was pondering ordering 3 more for Christmas. However, I have a hunch hardware performance vs time curve will be steep for this product line. My hesitation in commiting to this product (I'm calling buying 4 of them committing) isn't upgrade fever, it's more that the resolution standard will be changing, and I'm afraid support for the A5 and non retina will be a shorter usefull life; As an example, I kept my iphone 3G (non S) for over 3 years, and upgrading to IOS4 is what rendered it too slow to enjoy, but I needed the upgrade for current apps, therefore it's functional life ended (but was long, and worked out well imho).

I think rather than a big ipad Christmas, I'll consdier one for my wife, then upgrade next year, and let the old models trickle through the family... An ipad Christmas would have been fun, but I'm thinking not this year...

Thoughts?

If I were in your situation, I will probably do the same buying one or two for this year and wait for any upgrade next year. Retina in early 2013 is going to be problematic and depending on Sharp for new panel (which is close to bankruptcy now). But A6 is a possibility if competition really heat up since the marginal cost of producing more chip is relatively cheap once the full production ramp up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.