Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:37 AM   #1
r3ac7
macrumors member

Buying my first mac

So long story short, throughout the last two school years I've done good, both in school and work, so my parents decided that I finally deserve a new computer(my old one is like 10 years old). I've wanted a mac since a long time, so I wanted to ask some questions before I buy it. The Mac will be used for school work(office), surfing the web, music and videos, some photo editing from time to time(nothing heavy).

First of all I want to say that I want to get the MacBook Air 13' 2012 i5 1.8GHz 128gb, but I'll probably upgrade the ram to 8gb, because 4gb is a bit low.

So, I'm in 11th grade, which means that I won't get the student discount, right?
I have a friend though who goes to college, is it possible that I could get the discount if she comes with me?

The MacBook Air that I want, here in Canada is $1199(with 4gb ram) and $1299(with 8gb ram). How much will it cost if I get the discount?

Since I want this computer to last at least 4 years I was wondering if this specific computer has some problems after some time of usage. What I mean is for example the MacBook white 2007 had a problem with the casing, or the MacBook Air 2008/2009 had a problem with that part around the display. Does the MacBook Air 2012 have anything like that that I have to worry about?

Can I get the ram upgraded to 8gb, without making an online purchase? I want to purchase it from the store. Is it possible?

That is all for now, sorry for my stupid questions(I know they are), but I've never purchased a Mac before, so I need some advice.
r3ac7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:22 PM   #2
r3ac7
macrumors member

Nobody?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Spink10
macrumors 68030

Call your apple store
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:29 PM   #4
fubaracing7374
macrumors member

I have a friend though who goes to college, is it possible that I could get the discount if she comes with me?

YES THEY CAN.

The MacBook Air that I want, here in Canada is $1199(with 4gb ram) and $1299(with 8gb ram). How much will it cost if I get the discount?

GO TO THE APPLE STORE ONLINE AND LOOK FOR THE EDUCATION STORE, THEN SELECT YOUR FRIENDS SCHOOL.

Since I want this computer to last at least 4 years I was wondering if this specific computer has some problems after some time of usage. What I mean is for example the MacBook white 2007 had a problem with the casing, or the MacBook Air 2008/2009 had a problem with that part around the display. Does the MacBook Air 2012 have anything like that that I have to worry about?

NO REAL WAY TO TELL YET.

Can I get the ram upgraded to 8gb, without making an online purchase? I want to purchase it from the store. Is it possible?

IF ITS AVAILABLE ONLINE, THEN IT'S AVAILABLE IN STORE.

GOOD LUCK.
fubaracing7374 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:49 AM   #5
r3ac7
macrumors member

Thank you, that's all I need to know!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice