Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mdwall

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
So I've just about decided I want my next computer to be a rMBP. Coming from a core 2 toshi with a 320 gig hdd. Price wise I like the base but I'm concerned about the 256 gb storage as I feel that's kind of a step down. On the flip side, I only have about half of the 320 taken up. I really only store mp3 s and other than office I don't have a lot of programs. My main concern is if I end up needing more space what do I do? Obviously external storage is the probable answer but I was curious just how convenient that is?

Before you ask, an air would probably fit those needs but I feel the screen on that is too small and the cMBP isn't really that much of a leap in my mind to justify the costs.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I purchased 768GB SSD because I need to collect photos during multiple week trips. But once the photos are post processed, they are moved off to external drives. I don't want/need GBs of data sitting on expensive SSD space when it could just as easily sit on cheap external drive space. So unless you have to carry GBs of data for work or school.....don't. Get the 256GB SSD for OS and apps plus the data for email, safari bookmarks. But the large data folders for documents, music, movies, photos....put those an external drive. And get a second external drive (or a Time Capsule) that Time Machine can use to backup the entire Mac file system (internal SSD and the external data HD).

Rhinoevans

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
So I've just about decided I want my next computer to be a rMBP. Coming from a core 2 toshi with a 320 gig hdd. Price wise I like the base but I'm concerned about the 256 gb storage as I feel that's kind of a step down. On the flip side, I only have about half of the 320 taken up. I really only store mp3 s and other than office I don't have a lot of programs. My main concern is if I end up needing more space what do I do? Obviously external storage is the probable answer but I was curious just how convenient that is?

Before you ask, an air would probably fit those needs but I feel the screen on that is too small and the cMBP isn't really that much of a leap in my mind to justify the costs.

Processing power for the cMBP and the rMBP are the SAME! Ask your self if you need a pretty screen, or the ability to upgrade ram and SSD down the road!

Dont jump on the retina bandwagon just because you can, what is your needs!

I love my cMBP, upgraded to 16G ram from OWC and looking to get the Samsung 840 Pro 512, when the prices drop a bit. And I think my screen is all I need.

Dont get me wrong, the retina screen is nice, looked awesome when I saw them at the Apple store, and I really liked the thinness of the form factor, but to max out the retina was just way to much money, and I really DID NOT NEED the hi rez display and the lack of upgradability turned me off.

Someone will say the cMBP cost more to buy if you add ram and SSD, which is true if you purchase from APPle.

My 16G Ram was $100 and last I looked the Samsung 830 256G SSD was on sale for $155, which is way less expensive than a 16G rMBP.

cMBP $1799 + $255 = $2054
rMBP $2199 + $200 = $2399

$350 difference pust the 500G HD you take out of the cMBP

Mdwall

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
I originally started out looking at the classic but after playing with a retina, it has made me gravitate towards one. Part of the draw of the Retina IS the screen. The audio is also nicer to me at least.

I suppose there is the option of the hi res screen classic, but I was of the impression that basically give you more screen real estate whereas the retina makes it sharper overall. Is that not the case?

Of course either of them are worlds ahead of my toshi....

I need to look at match a little more to se if that's a possible solution and I do have a 320 gig hdd in an enclosure so I guess maybe the storage limit isn't as big of a concern. I just don't want to end up needing more and being stuck with the 256

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.