Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:41 AM   #1
lavellec
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
iPad Mini 2?

Hi, I was looking for some advice. Should I get the iPad Mini now or should I wait to get the iPad Mini 2? thanks
lavellec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:42 AM   #2
RossMak
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Do you need one now?
__________________
iPhone 5 64gb | iPad 3 64gb | Apple TV (3rd Gen) | iPad Mini 16gb
RossMak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Dekard
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
wait for the ipad 16.


Nobody can answer this but you. Nobody 'needs' an ipad.
__________________
2013 Macbook Pro 15inch Retina 2.6Ghz / 16GB RAM / 1TB SSD / NVidia GeForce GT 750m / iPhone 5s
Dekard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:44 AM   #4
lavellec
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
kind of, but i think i can wait. Does anyone have any idea of when the 2nd gen will come out?
lavellec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:44 AM   #5
bobbysmith
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Do you want an iPad Mini now or a year from now? If you want one now, get one now. If you want one in a year, get the second generation next year. If you want one in two years, wait two years and get the third generation.
bobbysmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:44 AM   #6
53x12
macrumors 68000
 
53x12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavellec View Post
kind of, but i think i can wait. Does anyone have any idea of when the 2nd gen will come out?
2013.
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:45 AM   #7
lavellec
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x12 View Post
2013.
early 2013?
lavellec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:47 AM   #8
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavellec View Post
early 2013?
If you aren't sure just wait. If you need/want it now get it now.
AdonisSMU is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:49 AM   #9
lavellec
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Also, does anyone know if using the iPad Mini to take notes in school is any good? That's one of the main reasons I'm thinking about getting one
lavellec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:33 PM   #10
leonw
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: at home
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavellec View Post
early 2013?
Wait a sec. I'll call Tim and let you know
leonw is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:58 PM   #11
michelob tfs
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Falkirk, Scotland
LOL, another priceless thread.

No you shilolud not wait. Buy the mini and buy it now RIGHT NOW! or you will regret it. You entire future depends on making the right decision here.
michelob tfs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:12 PM   #12
Kushp14
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I would get it now I wouldn't expect another iPad mini update till late 2013
Kushp14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:19 PM   #13
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God
 
ChristianJapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: 日本
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushp14 View Post
I would get it now I wouldn't expect another iPad mini update till late 2013
We also didn't expect an iPad 4 just seven month after iPad 3. Whatever the reason was for such a short cycle might happen to the Mini, too.

But you are right: get one now is ok, as you can use from now on (wow, that is wisdom )
__________________
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:24 PM   #14
lavellec
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Can the iPad Mini fulfill school needs such as taking notes?
lavellec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:38 PM   #15
richorlin
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavellec View Post
Hi, I was looking for some advice. Should I get the iPad Mini now or should I wait to get the iPad Mini 2? thanks
This is got to be the dumbest question I've read all day. The iPad Mini came out two days ago and you want to know when the next version will be released. Tim Cook doesn't read these posts so your guess is as good as mine.
__________________
richorlin
richorlin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:43 PM   #16
ks-man
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by richorlin View Post
This is got to be the dumbest question I've read all day. The iPad Mini came out two days ago and you want to know when the next version will be released. Tim Cook doesn't read these posts so your guess is as good as mine.
I would actually venture a guess that even Tim Cook doesn't know yet when the iPad Mini 2 will come out.

I would agree though that this is the dumbest question I've heard all day and keep in mind that I have a 4 yr old kid.
__________________
iMac-3.06Ghz/NV130/1TB|MBA-1.86Ghz/128GB/4GB and 1.6GHz/80GB|iPhone 4-32GB|iPad1 32GB|iPad3 64GB|iPTouch 8GB|iPod Classic 120GB|Nano 4GB|Time Capsule 500GB|AEBS Dual Band|AEX
I surrender Apple!
ks-man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:48 PM   #17
Surely
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavellec View Post
Can the iPad Mini fulfill school needs such as taking notes?
Yes.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks-man View Post
I would actually venture a guess that even Tim Cook doesn't know yet when the iPad Mini 2 will come out.

I would agree though that this is the dumbest question I've heard all day and keep in mind that I have a 4 yr old kid.
I would venture a guess that Cook knows exactly when all of their products will come out in the next few years.
Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:03 PM   #18
scupking
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Buy one now then you can sell it when the mini 2 or iPad 5 comes out. Heck I just sold my 16 GB wifi iPad 3 and got $415 for it. Not bad seeing how it was $499 back in March when I got it.
__________________
2010 Macbook Pro 13"
iPad Air 2 (space gray, 64GB wifi)
scupking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:10 PM   #19
lavellec
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by scupking View Post
Buy one now then you can sell it when the mini 2 or iPad 5 comes out. Heck I just sold my 16 GB wifi iPad 3 and got $415 for it. Not bad seeing how it was $499 back in March when I got it.
Very true.

And thank you everyone else for making me feel like an idiot. Haha but I should've known
lavellec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:43 PM   #20
ks-man
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post

I would venture a guess that Cook knows exactly when all of their products will come out in the next few years.
I would doubt it. I think a big portion of it is based on when they feel they could release the right product based on when parts and software are ready. They won't release an iPad mini just b/c the calendar says 12 months go by. When they feel they can release a worthy upgrade (their minds) and maintain the right price (again their minds) we will see it. This is likely what happened with the iPad 4 and the iPhone 4S. The iPhone 4S wasn't ready with Siri until Fall so they pushed back the release date. The iPhone 5 was ready earlier so it was moved up. The iPad 4 was ready to be released with A6x and Lightning connector so it was released. I doubt that when the iPad 3 was being released they knew there would only be a 7 month distribution shelf life.

While there is probably a general road-map they are constantly evaluating the schedule so I stand by my statement. Tim Cook may believe that the iPad mini 2 will come out about a year from now (just like we all believe) he doesn't currently know when it will be as market conditions and parts and software may lead to a release in 8, 12 or 16 months.

Wow, that was longer than I intended.
__________________
iMac-3.06Ghz/NV130/1TB|MBA-1.86Ghz/128GB/4GB and 1.6GHz/80GB|iPhone 4-32GB|iPad1 32GB|iPad3 64GB|iPTouch 8GB|iPod Classic 120GB|Nano 4GB|Time Capsule 500GB|AEBS Dual Band|AEX
I surrender Apple!
ks-man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:47 PM   #21
kas23
macrumors 603
 
kas23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossMak View Post
Do you need one now?
Who on this planet needs an iPad mini?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
We also didn't expect an iPad 4 just seven month after iPad 3. Whatever the reason was for such a short cycle might happen to the Mini, too.
Unless the birth of Christ moves to June 25th, there will be no iPad mini 2 in 6-7 months time.
kas23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:58 PM   #22
kas23
macrumors 603
 
kas23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks-man View Post
...The iPhone 4S wasn't ready with Siri until Fall so they pushed back the release date. The iPhone 5 was ready earlier so it was moved up. The iPad 4 was ready to be released with A6x and Lightning connector so it was released. I doubt that when the iPad 3 was being released they knew there would only be a 7 month distribution shelf life.
I seriously doubt these assertions. The iPhone 4S was not delayed due to Siri. That's like saying the iPhone 5 was delayed due to Apple Maps. In fact, they released Siri as a beta, so by definition it really wasn't ready to be released. They delayed the release of iPhone 4S for 1 reason: to capitalize on the Holiday shopping spree, when the most money is extracted from consumer's hands. But the delay of the iPhone 4S was fairly costly for Apple. They lost a lot of ground to Android during the delay and they didn't want to repeat this mistake. So, instead of delaying the iPad 4, they released it early.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:06 PM   #23
Surely
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks-man View Post
I would doubt it. I think a big portion of it is based on when they feel they could release the right product based on when parts and software are ready. They won't release an iPad mini just b/c the calendar says 12 months go by. When they feel they can release a worthy upgrade (their minds) and maintain the right price (again their minds) we will see it. This is likely what happened with the iPad 4 and the iPhone 4S. The iPhone 4S wasn't ready with Siri until Fall so they pushed back the release date. The iPhone 5 was ready earlier so it was moved up. The iPad 4 was ready to be released with A6x and Lightning connector so it was released. I doubt that when the iPad 3 was being released they knew there would only be a 7 month distribution shelf life.

While there is probably a general road-map they are constantly evaluating the schedule so I stand by my statement. Tim Cook may believe that the iPad mini 2 will come out about a year from now (just like we all believe) he doesn't currently know when it will be as market conditions and parts and software may lead to a release in 8, 12 or 16 months.

Wow, that was longer than I intended.
It has become known that Apple has been working on a schedule-driven release timeframe. Not on a "release it when it's perfect" timeframe as you're suggesting. This explains Siri, Maps, and even the iPad 3. Apparently, Cook plans on changing this culture so that the products are even more polished when they will be released. To get away from the schdule-driven release timeframe. See here: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/30/...hos-in-charge/

However, as kas23 stated above, the holiday shopping season is the time people spend the most money. So, we'll be seeing new iPods and iPads released right before the holidays for the foreseeable future.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
Unless the birth of Christ moves to June 25th, there will be no iPad mini 2 in 6-7 months time.
Well, I guess we can do that. I mean, it was already moved to December 25th by Emperor Constantine to overtake the Pagan holiday that was already celebrated that day. Seemed to work.
Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:27 AM   #24
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavellec View Post
Also, does anyone know if using the iPad Mini to take notes in school is any good? That's one of the main reasons I'm thinking about getting one

Whats wrong with pencil and a blank notebook???
raccoonboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:54 AM   #25
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God
 
ChristianJapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: 日本
Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
Unless the birth of Christ moves to June 25th, there will be no iPad mini 2 in 6-7 months time.
XMas in summer ? Works for me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post
Well, I guess we can do that. I mean, it was already moved to December 25th by Emperor Constantine to overtake the Pagan holiday that was already celebrated that day. Seemed to work.
Almighty Apple ... Lets move Xmas to accelerate my iPad mini retina
__________________
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is online now   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Mini: Gift for 10-year-olds: Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini, or iPad Mini Retina? dmk1974 iPad 31 Dec 4, 2013 06:30 AM
iPad: Ipad air, Ipad mini retina and Ipad mini space grey photo thread gadget123 iPad 0 Nov 1, 2013 06:44 PM
iPad Mini: Ipad Mini 1st generation budget Ipad mini 2nd premium gadget123 iPad 0 Oct 23, 2013 07:35 AM
A7X-Based iPad and iPad Mini Expected to Launch in 4Q 2013, Lower-Cost A6 iPad Mini to Follow in 2014 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 178 Oct 11, 2013 08:52 AM
iPad Mini: Worlds First iPad Mini Black & Slate + iPad Mini SmartCover Unboxing! RiseDarthVader iPad 52 Nov 2, 2012 08:35 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC