Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:41 AM   #1
lavellec
macrumors newbie

iPad Mini 2?

Hi, I was looking for some advice. Should I get the iPad Mini now or should I wait to get the iPad Mini 2? thanks
lavellec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:42 AM   #2
RossMak
macrumors member

Do you need one now?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Dekard
macrumors 6502

wait for the ipad 16.

Nobody can answer this but you. Nobody 'needs' an ipad.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:44 AM   #4
lavellec
macrumors newbie

kind of, but i think i can wait. Does anyone have any idea of when the 2nd gen will come out?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:44 AM   #5
bobbysmith
macrumors regular

Do you want an iPad Mini now or a year from now? If you want one now, get one now. If you want one in a year, get the second generation next year. If you want one in two years, wait two years and get the third generation.
bobbysmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:44 AM   #6
53x12
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavellec View Post
kind of, but i think i can wait. Does anyone have any idea of when the 2nd gen will come out?
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:45 AM   #7
lavellec
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x12 View Post
early 2013?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:47 AM   #8
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
early 2013?
If you aren't sure just wait. If you need/want it now get it now.
AdonisSMU is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:49 AM   #9
lavellec
macrumors newbie

Also, does anyone know if using the iPad Mini to take notes in school is any good? That's one of the main reasons I'm thinking about getting one
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:33 PM   #10
leonw
macrumors member

Quote:
early 2013?
Wait a sec. I'll call Tim and let you know
leonw is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:58 PM   #11
michelob tfs
macrumors member

LOL, another priceless thread.

No you shilolud not wait. Buy the mini and buy it now RIGHT NOW! or you will regret it. You entire future depends on making the right decision here.
michelob tfs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:12 PM   #12
Kushp14
macrumors regular

I would get it now I wouldn't expect another iPad mini update till late 2013
Kushp14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:19 PM   #13
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushp14 View Post
I would get it now I wouldn't expect another iPad mini update till late 2013
We also didn't expect an iPad 4 just seven month after iPad 3. Whatever the reason was for such a short cycle might happen to the Mini, too.

But you are right: get one now is ok, as you can use from now on (wow, that is wisdom )
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:24 PM   #14
lavellec
macrumors newbie

Can the iPad Mini fulfill school needs such as taking notes?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:38 PM   #15
richorlin
macrumors regular

Quote:
Hi, I was looking for some advice. Should I get the iPad Mini now or should I wait to get the iPad Mini 2? thanks
This is got to be the dumbest question I've read all day. The iPad Mini came out two days ago and you want to know when the next version will be released. Tim Cook doesn't read these posts so your guess is as good as mine.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:43 PM   #16
ks-man
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by richorlin View Post
This is got to be the dumbest question I've read all day. The iPad Mini came out two days ago and you want to know when the next version will be released. Tim Cook doesn't read these posts so your guess is as good as mine.
I would actually venture a guess that even Tim Cook doesn't know yet when the iPad Mini 2 will come out.

I would agree though that this is the dumbest question I've heard all day and keep in mind that I have a 4 yr old kid.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:48 PM   #17
Surely

Quote:
Can the iPad Mini fulfill school needs such as taking notes?
Yes.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks-man View Post
I would actually venture a guess that even Tim Cook doesn't know yet when the iPad Mini 2 will come out.

I would agree though that this is the dumbest question I've heard all day and keep in mind that I have a 4 yr old kid.
I would venture a guess that Cook knows exactly when all of their products will come out in the next few years.
Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:03 PM   #18
scupking
macrumors 6502

Buy one now then you can sell it when the mini 2 or iPad 5 comes out. Heck I just sold my 16 GB wifi iPad 3 and got $415 for it. Not bad seeing how it was $499 back in March when I got it.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:10 PM   #19
lavellec
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scupking View Post
Buy one now then you can sell it when the mini 2 or iPad 5 comes out. Heck I just sold my 16 GB wifi iPad 3 and got $415 for it. Not bad seeing how it was $499 back in March when I got it.
Very true.

And thank you everyone else for making me feel like an idiot. Haha but I should've known
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:43 PM   #20
ks-man
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post

I would venture a guess that Cook knows exactly when all of their products will come out in the next few years.
I would doubt it. I think a big portion of it is based on when they feel they could release the right product based on when parts and software are ready. They won't release an iPad mini just b/c the calendar says 12 months go by. When they feel they can release a worthy upgrade (their minds) and maintain the right price (again their minds) we will see it. This is likely what happened with the iPad 4 and the iPhone 4S. The iPhone 4S wasn't ready with Siri until Fall so they pushed back the release date. The iPhone 5 was ready earlier so it was moved up. The iPad 4 was ready to be released with A6x and Lightning connector so it was released. I doubt that when the iPad 3 was being released they knew there would only be a 7 month distribution shelf life.

While there is probably a general road-map they are constantly evaluating the schedule so I stand by my statement. Tim Cook may believe that the iPad mini 2 will come out about a year from now (just like we all believe) he doesn't currently know when it will be as market conditions and parts and software may lead to a release in 8, 12 or 16 months.

Wow, that was longer than I intended.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:47 PM   #21
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossMak View Post
Do you need one now?
Who on this planet needs an iPad mini?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
We also didn't expect an iPad 4 just seven month after iPad 3. Whatever the reason was for such a short cycle might happen to the Mini, too.
Unless the birth of Christ moves to June 25th, there will be no iPad mini 2 in 6-7 months time.
kas23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:58 PM   #22
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
...The iPhone 4S wasn't ready with Siri until Fall so they pushed back the release date. The iPhone 5 was ready earlier so it was moved up. The iPad 4 was ready to be released with A6x and Lightning connector so it was released. I doubt that when the iPad 3 was being released they knew there would only be a 7 month distribution shelf life.
I seriously doubt these assertions. The iPhone 4S was not delayed due to Siri. That's like saying the iPhone 5 was delayed due to Apple Maps. In fact, they released Siri as a beta, so by definition it really wasn't ready to be released. They delayed the release of iPhone 4S for 1 reason: to capitalize on the Holiday shopping spree, when the most money is extracted from consumer's hands. But the delay of the iPhone 4S was fairly costly for Apple. They lost a lot of ground to Android during the delay and they didn't want to repeat this mistake. So, instead of delaying the iPad 4, they released it early.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:06 PM   #23
Surely

Quote:
I would doubt it. I think a big portion of it is based on when they feel they could release the right product based on when parts and software are ready. They won't release an iPad mini just b/c the calendar says 12 months go by. When they feel they can release a worthy upgrade (their minds) and maintain the right price (again their minds) we will see it. This is likely what happened with the iPad 4 and the iPhone 4S. The iPhone 4S wasn't ready with Siri until Fall so they pushed back the release date. The iPhone 5 was ready earlier so it was moved up. The iPad 4 was ready to be released with A6x and Lightning connector so it was released. I doubt that when the iPad 3 was being released they knew there would only be a 7 month distribution shelf life.

While there is probably a general road-map they are constantly evaluating the schedule so I stand by my statement. Tim Cook may believe that the iPad mini 2 will come out about a year from now (just like we all believe) he doesn't currently know when it will be as market conditions and parts and software may lead to a release in 8, 12 or 16 months.

Wow, that was longer than I intended.
It has become known that Apple has been working on a schedule-driven release timeframe. Not on a "release it when it's perfect" timeframe as you're suggesting. This explains Siri, Maps, and even the iPad 3. Apparently, Cook plans on changing this culture so that the products are even more polished when they will be released. To get away from the schdule-driven release timeframe. See here: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/30/...hos-in-charge/

However, as kas23 stated above, the holiday shopping season is the time people spend the most money. So, we'll be seeing new iPods and iPads released right before the holidays for the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
Unless the birth of Christ moves to June 25th, there will be no iPad mini 2 in 6-7 months time.
Well, I guess we can do that. I mean, it was already moved to December 25th by Emperor Constantine to overtake the Pagan holiday that was already celebrated that day. Seemed to work.
Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:27 AM   #24
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Also, does anyone know if using the iPad Mini to take notes in school is any good? That's one of the main reasons I'm thinking about getting one

Whats wrong with pencil and a blank notebook???
raccoonboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:54 AM   #25
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
XMas in summer ? Works for me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post
Well, I guess we can do that. I mean, it was already moved to December 25th by Emperor Constantine to overtake the Pagan holiday that was already celebrated that day. Seemed to work.
Almighty Apple ... Lets move Xmas to accelerate my iPad mini retina
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad