Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:07 AM   #1
mrbrycel
macrumors member

What are the chances of being able to add an SSD?

I know that the only thing user accessible on the 27" model is RAM. But what do you think the chances are of being able to have an SSD put in internally without having the warranty void?

I was really looking forward to SSD in this model, the fusion seems cool, but I'd really love to have a 128GB-256GB SSD only. I don't need 1TB of internal storage. I have been thinking about the idea of an external thunderbolt SSD, which I'm starting to accept may be my only option. I use external drives for all my files/footage, but not even being able to run the computer without having an external drive with OS attached by cable sure seems to defeat the purpose of an all-in-one.
mrbrycel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:20 AM   #2
BeejayUK
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrycel View Post
I know that the only thing user accessible on the 27" model is RAM. But what do you think the chances are of being able to have an SSD put in internally without having the warranty void?
On my 2010 iMac 27" 16GB [Crucial] RAM 2TB HD 2.93 Intel Core i7
I had an OWC 240GB Mercury Extreme Pro SSD fitted by removing the Optical Drive and used the OWC kit supplied [small extra cost by my tame Apple Engineer [no warranty voided]

I use the SSD as the startup drive. Boots up in about 14 seconds. Housed the optical drive in a suitable box and I use it once in a blue moon.

My son gets the 2010 iMac for Xmas/B'Day present and I will someday soon put an order in for a 2012 27" all bells and whistles.

Last edited by BeejayUK; Nov 4, 2012 at 11:20 AM. Reason: missing word
BeejayUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:33 AM   #3
comatory
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrycel View Post
People, for once, read user end agreement. It clearly states that adding non-approved components, except those that are user-replacable (that means RAM only) voids the warranty. Always.

It's been the case for many many years now, yet people are still hoping that it's just doable. You will definitely lose it if you do it yourself. The only way to do it, without voiding the warranty is to have Apple official repair center do it for you. In that case, you must ask beforehand, as it doesn't work always, they usually say yes it's possibly, but we take all the responsibility. Which means if the thing breaks down, you must take it to the same repair center which can be difficult if you move or have bad experience with particular service.
comatory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

These days - there's not really any point voiding your warranty for an SSD upgrade - just get a thunderbolt enclosure!
Brian Y is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:59 PM   #5
JoeLegs
macrumors newbie

Invest in a crowbar to open it, just make sure you have some good quality blue tack to seal it back up
JoeLegs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:57 PM   #6
RoastingPig
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to RoastingPig
im only buying the 27 imac if i have the ability to add my ssd in it, if not then its a deal breaker and ill be getting a mac mini with a Yamakasi Catleap
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:47 PM   #7
wmy5
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoastingPig View Post
im only buying the 27 imac if i have the ability to add my ssd in it, if not then its a deal breaker and ill be getting a mac mini with a Yamakasi Catleap
It's highly likely that the new iMac's SSD has the same form factor as rMBP and MBA. You can order it from OWC and install by yourself.

Of course, we don't know how difficult to open iMac up until ifixit get one and tear it down.

You don't have to worry about warranty. Just remove your self-installed SSD before you send your iMac to Apple then restore it after you get it back.
wmy5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac