Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:59 AM   #101
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Let's get something straight here. Liberals are perfectly accepting of someone's religious faith provided they are for abortion and gay marriage. It's not really any more complicated than that.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:24 AM   #102
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonHarvey1 View Post
Let's get something straight here. Liberals are perfectly accepting of someone's religious faith provided they are for abortion and gay marriage. It's not really any more complicated than that.
I agree. That's why all the liberals are fighting to take away your right to believe.

Oh wait.....

I have no problem accepting people's faith. The problem comes when people of faith start trying to LEGISLATE their own morals. I promise we'll be more "accepting" when people stop trying to use religion as an excuse for taking away our rights.
Moyank24 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:28 AM   #103
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
I agree. That's why all the liberals are fighting to take away your right to believe.

Oh wait.....

I have no problem accepting people's faith. The problem comes when people of faith start trying to LEGISLATE their own morals. I promise we'll be more "accepting" when people stop trying to use religion as an excuse for taking away our rights.

Take your head out of the sand. If Obama is re-elected, your religious freedoms are in jeopardy. I know it's true because Paul Ryan said it.
rdowns is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:35 AM   #104
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

US bank note - "In god we trust"

UK bank note - Picture of Darwin

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:47 AM   #105
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Quote:
This x1000. I just don't see why so many conservatives cannot see the difference between having a belief, and using that belief as grounds for legislation. You can believe that all people who have tattoos should be put to death by drowning. That's your opinion and, while seriously messed up, it doesn't affect anyone. As soon as you start pushing for legislation to have all people with tattoos drowned, then you've crossed the line into a very different territory.

I read a Facebook post from a friend a while back lamenting that some friends expected her to support their beliefs, but she was upset that those friends wouldn't support her beliefs. Of course, the friends were pushing for giving rights, and she was pushing for taking rights away.

I would LOVE to see the reaction to a candidate who was pushing to have religion outlawed. I would also love to see a major restaurant chain donate money to an organization that pushes for removal of all religion. You would then see the hypocrisy explode.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:53 AM   #106
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
This x1000. I just don't see why so many conservatives cannot see the difference between having a belief, and using that belief as grounds for legislation. You can believe that all people who have tattoos should be put to death by drowning. That's your opinion and, while seriously messed up, it doesn't affect anyone. As soon as you start pushing for legislation to have all people with tattoos drowned, then you've crossed the line into a very different territory.
What about murder? If we lived in a land where murder were not yet a crime, and we were voting on it, would you be against my vote because my beliefs against murder are religiously based? Would you only want the votes of murder abolitionists who come from a secular humanist rationale?

----------

Quote:
Are you okay with Nat Hentoff, a liberal pro-life atheist civil libertarian, wanting abortion to be illegal? It's okay if he advocates it, right? Because he doesn't do so from the perspective of religion?
WestonHarvey1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:10 AM   #107
yg17
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
US bank note - "In god we trust"

UK bank note - Picture of Darwin

That was the first thing I noticed the first time I went to the UK and saw some British notes. Having Darwin or any scientist on our money would never go over in the states - there would be outrage from all of the fundiloons on the right.
yg17 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:53 AM   #108
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Are you okay with Nat Hentoff, a liberal pro-life atheist civil libertarian, wanting abortion to be illegal? It's okay if he advocates it, right? Because he doesn't do so from the perspective of religion?
I have no idea who that is - but I'm against anyone who advocates taking away rights.

I'm sure you can admit, however, that most of the legislation and protests are based on religion beliefs. I've said this many times before here - I respect your right to believe whatever, and I would never advocate taking away your right to do so. I just ask for the same in return.

I still have yet to hear a rational explanation from people who are against gay marriage.
Moyank24 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:24 PM   #109
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Wrong. Liberals are perfectly accepting of someone's religious faith provided they do not stand in the way of abortion and gay marriage. They don't have to be for it. See, it was more complicated than that.
Mac'nCheese is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:39 PM   #110
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
Wrong. Liberals are perfectly accepting of someone's religious faith provided they do not stand in the way of abortion and gay marriage. They don't have to be for it. See, it was more complicated than that.
So class, in summation, Liberals rarely force their opinion on others, while Conservatives usually force their opinion on others.

Any questions??
iJohnHenry is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:51 PM   #111
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
So class, in summation, Liberals rarely force their opinion on others, while Conservatives usually force their opinion on others.

Any questions??
Show me all the laws liberals try to make to force their opinions on others.
Mac'nCheese is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:43 AM   #112
AP_piano295
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavika411 View Post
Well, he's either a believer or a liar.

I disagree with you. I do not believe all people of faith are idiots.

Yes he's either a believer or a liar and I do believe that he's a liar and I don't think he's a believer.

Unlike you I think being a person of faith does make you an idiot, doesn't mean you can't do calculus but if you can't recognize myths for what they are that's ridiculous.

To literally believe the bible in any capacity is ridiculous and I find it deeply disturbing. If you're a deist I can empathize with your position though I don't find it particularly compelling. But actually subscribing to a anthropocentric religion is ridiculous and totally idiotic.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:51 AM   #113
dscuber9000
macrumors 6502a

Who the hell cares? Romney is a random US citizen at this point.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:17 AM   #114
gkarris
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_piano295 View Post
Yes he's either a believer or a liar and I do believe that he's a liar and I don't think he's a believer.

Unlike you I think being a person of faith does make you an idiot, doesn't mean you can't do calculus but if you can't recognize myths for what they are that's ridiculous.

To literally believe the bible in any capacity is ridiculous and I find it deeply disturbing. If you're a deist I can empathize with your position though I don't find it particularly compelling. But actually subscribing to a anthropocentric religion is ridiculous and totally idiotic.
And this is why believers tend to not like non-believers...
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:44 PM   #115
Rt&Dzine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yg17 View Post
That was the first thing I noticed the first time I went to the UK and saw some British notes. Having Darwin or any scientist on our money would never go over in the states - there would be outrage from all of the fundiloons on the right.
How about "In Joseph Smith We Trust" ?

Or "In L. Ron Hubbard We Trust" ?
Rt&Dzine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:03 PM   #116
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rt&Dzine View Post
How about "In Joseph Smith We Trust" ?

Or "In L. Ron Hubbard We Trust" ?

In a deity we trust
??

Or, Trust no one.
iJohnHenry is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:33 PM   #117
AP_piano295
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkarris View Post
And this is why believers tend to not like non-believers...
Yes I can understand it must be annoying when people expect you to live in reality as opposed to a fantasy which (while non existent) is comforting.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:40 PM   #118
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

In a deity we trust
??

Or, Trust no one.
Perfect! Fox and Scully on the Ten bill! I like it.

Last edited by noisycats; Nov 8, 2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: ok, ok, so it's been too long!
noisycats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:49 PM   #119
ravenvii
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycats View Post
Perfect! Fox and Mulder on the Ten bill! I like it.
Mulder and Scully, even.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:21 AM   #120
Vanilla Ice
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman2010 View Post
Hidden camera video of Mitt Romney ranting about Mormonism and he 2nd coming of Christ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxMD0...ature=youtu.be

YouTube: video

I can't believe people are voting for this nut!
I believe in the Rapture. Does that make me a nut? Who cares what Mitt Romney believes in? Obama says he's a "Christian" obviously he believes the same thing. Does that make him a nut too?

----------

Quote:

Any questions??
I have a question! What conservative is placing you in church every Sunday and forcing you to read scripture? You must not be listing to Mr. Obama as he says, "We are a free Nation to practice whatever religion we want." So why do you complain? I go to church on my own free will. I believe in Jesus Christ because I choose too. NEVER have I been forced by the government to attend church. NEVER.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:34 AM   #121
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Ice View Post
I have a question! What conservative is placing you in church every Sunday and forcing you to read scripture? You must not be listing to Mr. Obama as he says, "We are a free Nation to practice whatever religion we want." So why do you complain? I go to church on my own free will. I believe in Jesus Christ because I choose too. NEVER have I been forced by the government to attend church. NEVER.
No, but as I believe I've said before, they are trying to force their ideas of marriage. I mean honestly, having two men or two women marry is not going to effect them or you in any way, shape, or form! There is no logical reason to not allow gay marriage.

Last edited by APlotdevice; Nov 8, 2012 at 12:47 AM.
APlotdevice is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:44 AM   #122
AP_piano295
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Because you won't keep your fairy stories in your magic play house.

The religious insist on inserting their outdated ideas into life outside of fantasy land.

If you wan't to teach people that the Earth is 5000 years old, I have a problem with that.

If you wan't to teach people that evolution is a lie I have a problem with that.

If you wan't to legislate your nonsensical "moral" views to marginalize portions of the population, I have a problem with that.

If you insist on placing people into positions of power who believe that there is some sort of inherent morality and/or rightness to the universe I have a problem with that.

Feel free to use your fantasy play set all you want. But the moment you try to bring that play set into real life I have a problem with it, because real life doesn't operate according to the rules of your imaginary friend.

----------

Quote:
I believe in the Rapture. Does that make me a nut?
Yes it does.

You are every bit as crazy as a 50 year old man who literally believes that Santa climbs down his chimney and leaves presents on X-mas. The odd thing about human insanity is that crazy people can still be remarkably functional and even intelligent. But you are still crazy, if you believe that the rapture is a real thing you are a nut.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:56 AM   #123
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavika411 View Post
I agree with you.

I'm just trying to understand who qualifies as a "wackjob fairy tale believer" - whether it is all theists, or just the theists with whom someone disagrees. So far, it sounds like it's only the theists with whom someone disagrees, and everyone else gets a wackjob pass.
It's all theists

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Personally, I think anyone who bases their entire view of life and the world on a fictional book wrote a few thousand years ago as a means to control people is a "wackjob fairy tale believer".

That said, I have no problem with them believing in this. People can believe in whatever they want. I do have a problem when someone uses their beliefs as a basis to restrict the rights of others who don't necessarily have the same beliefs. I don't care if it's a Mormon, Baptist, Evangelical, Muslim, Scientologist, whatever. Believe what you want but when you try to use these beliefs as a reason to control others, you've crossed the line.
You don't but I do.

Quote:
I believe in the Rapture. Does that make me a nut? Who cares what Mitt Romney believes in? Obama says he's a "Christian" obviously he believes the same thing. Does that make him a nut too?

----------

You're a nut and so is Mr. Obama.
GermanyChris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:08 AM   #124
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycats View Post
Perfect! Fox and Mulder on the Ten bill! I like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenvii View Post
Mulder and Scully, even.
Scully is a fox, so what was your point again?
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:31 AM   #125
Rt&Dzine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

----------

Hmmm . . .
Rt&Dzine is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues