|Nov 4, 2012, 11:42 AM||#1|
Is a MBA enough to power the TBD?
Now that the 13" RMPB is announced I am doubting about a new macbook. I find the 13RMP to expensive and not relevant for what I want
The 13" white macbook 2.1 core2duo, 4 gb ram I have now is showing its age. Since I have got a Apple laptop (my current one is my first one) never used a external display
The MPB 13" has got a 2.9 Ghz cpu while the 13" MBA has got a 2.0 cpu. ( as it max) So gpu is on paper about 1/3 faster.
I want to buy a new macbook now ant within the year the display/
I will upgrade the RAM to 8 GB no matter what model I buy. So the laptop for on the road, the TBD for at home
I wil use the laptop for Aperture, internet and word.
So my questions
1. Does the cpu matter when connecting it to the Apple thunderbolt display?
2. When choosing the MBA am I going to notice a speed bump in aperture or is it then smarter to go for the MBP 13" compared to my current macbook?
3. For the TBD is the Air enough in combination with my other uses and powering it?
|Nov 4, 2012, 05:24 PM||#3|
2. Both will be considerably more powerful than your current MacBook. You will notice a speed difference for sure. As for MBA vs MBP 13", difference is negligible though. The clock frequency is higher on the MBP but if you go for a MBA with i7, it will have a higher TurboBoost clock and more L3 cache than an i5 in a 13" MBP. Geekbench results for an i7 MBA are actually better than for an i5 13" MBP. Go for the one you think has the best form factor/screen/price, but performance shouldn't be a deciding factor IMO since they're almost identical.
3. Yes, just don't expect to game at native resolution.
Oh and one more tip: If you buy a Mac and TDB at the same time, you can buy a single AppleCare and it will cover both.
Last edited by pgiguere1; Nov 4, 2012 at 05:29 PM.
|Nov 6, 2012, 10:43 AM||#6|
I've had both a 2011 i5 and a 2012 i7 connected to my TBD. The i7 does seem to make a small difference ... the machine is snappier, response time is probably a tiny bit faster. IMO, the i7 is worth the extra $$$.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|2013 MBA+ Apple TBD - Add second monitor||oester||MacBook Air||10||Jul 30, 2013 04:57 PM|
|Does your 11" MBA heat up when closed and connected to you a TBD?||DisplacedMic||MacBook Air||3||Mar 16, 2013 02:07 PM|
|MBA 2012 Performance using Adobe CS and TBD||Jacobi||MacBook Air||11||Aug 8, 2012 01:11 PM|
|Advice needed : TBD to use with MBA 11 or 13?||walterr||Mac Peripherals||1||Jun 21, 2012 07:29 AM|
|Best Mouse to pair with MBA & TBD?||onthecouchagain||Mac Peripherals||2||Jun 19, 2012 07:09 PM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 PM.