Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:28 PM   #1
egeek84
macrumors 6502

I'm so glad I bought the 4

So like many here, I had the 3rd generation iPad and I have to be honest, I was very satisfied and content with it. I didn't really have any heat or screen issues and it worked great.

However after seeing peoples reviews here, I decided to bite the bullet and so I went to Best Buy and bought the new one. (32GB black)

Holy crap the new A6X processor is super fast! Like the iPhone 5 that I also have, everything is so fluid and quick. Apps load almost instantly and theres no "lag".

The Facetime HD camera is awesome! Now all my Apple devices have a Facetime HD cam so i'm glad I upgraded.

However one of the biggest upgrades I noticed was something that wasn't even advertised. The speakers! Holy **** they sound just like my macbooks! They are loud and pump out clear full sound! Very impressed!!

I haven't really noticed too much of a difference in wifi performance but then again, I never had any problems. It runs fast just like it should.

Overall, I highly recommend you guys upgrade. I sold my 64 LTE on Craigslist and made enough to buy the 32GB wifi only. (I never even used the cellular and i figure with icloud now, 32 is enough)

You won't regret this guys and thanks to everyone who has already posted reviews!

Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:31 PM   #2
saving107
macrumors 603

I'm glad for you as well.
saving107 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Sdahe
macrumors 68000

They should change everyones ipad 3 for the 4. Its a lack of respect to do that. My ipad 3 runs very smooth but sometimes I get the feeling that Apple makes them slow with the updates.. To make you buy the next model
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:40 PM   #4
chdwil
macrumors regular

Well the tests have shown the 4 to only be marginally faster. Not worth it to me.
chdwil is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:44 PM   #5
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

The speakers were one of the first things I noticed as well
mattopotamus is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:47 PM   #6
Dstopsie
macrumors 6502

I love my 4 its to so much faster on Wi-Fi then my 3 was and its just like my iPhone 5. I'm very happy I sold my iPad 3 on craigslist to purchase the ipad
Dstopsie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Jacoblee23
macrumors 6502

How much has everyone been getting for their 3? I have a Verizon 32gb LTE. I don't ever use the LTE though, so a 32gb ipad would be fine with me. Any tips?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:54 PM   #8
prism
macrumors 6502a

I'm also glad I was able to sell my 3 and went for the 4. Truly flawless, great screen, no heat, super fluid, better wifi reception and the speaker...man!
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:00 PM   #9
doboy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdahe View Post
They should change everyones ipad 3 for the 4. Its a lack of respect to do that.
This is one of the funniest thing I've read in a long time. You expect a company (publicly traded company) to exchange your old model for a new one outside of their "normal" return policy. It's been 7 months since the iPad 3 was released.

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:03 PM   #10
prism
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy View Post
This is one of the funniest thing I've read in a long time. You expect a company (publicly traded company) to exchange your old model for a new one outside of their "normal" return policy. It's been 7 months since the iPad 3 was released.
True, but a lot of people feel that apple pulled a fast one on them because of the unusually short life of the 3. We all know apple did this to avoid the retina iPad being cannibalized by the mini and also maybe to reset the launch date to October for all their products.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:06 PM   #11
irDigital0l

Quote:
They should change everyones ipad 3 for the 4. Its a lack of respect to do that. My ipad 3 runs very smooth but sometimes I get the feeling that Apple makes them slow with the updates.. To make you buy the next model
I still dont get why people that upgrade EVERY year are complaining.

It seems they buy every year more as a hobby than actually to use it. Its more of a hobby than a real investment...and then there's complaining.
irDigital0l is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:06 PM   #12
EvilShenaniganZ
macrumors regular

Sold my galaxy tab 10.1 about two weeks before the Keynote. So glad I did. This is my first iPad. I can't put it down. The screen is beautiful and I have a retina 15mbp. So having two retina devices is pretty awesome!

"it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. Itís just common sense."
EvilShenaniganZ is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:19 PM   #13
Dstopsie
macrumors 6502

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by prism View Post
I'm also glad I was able to sell my 3 and went for the 4. Truly flawless, great screen, no heat, super fluid, better wifi reception and the speaker...man!
Yes yes yes and yes!! I agree.
Dstopsie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:28 PM   #14
AlanFord
macrumors regular

Like few tests show 4th gen is just a second faster. Browsing is almost the same.
Its just in the head. Not worth the upgrade.
There could be a potential improvement in gaming experiance, but since I dont game at all wont even notice.

Personaly, think that ipad users who jumped from 3rd to 4th gen will be dissapointed when lighter ipad (like mini) comes out.
Then in points of size and weight with faster cpu would be a great update for us on 3rd gen.
AlanFord is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:29 PM   #15
aneftp
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by chdwil View Post
Well the tests have shown the 4 to only be marginally faster. Not worth it to me.
Serious?

The tests show the iPad 3 to be marginally faster or the same as iPad 2.

The iPad 4 is in some tests 2 x faster than iPad 3.

In terms of speed. This is the pecking order.

iPad 4, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (which is barely faster than iPad 2).

Like others stated. This is like an "S" upgrade like iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4/4S.

Screen and body are the exact same. But processor is much faster.
aneftp is online now   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:29 PM   #16
rgarjr
macrumors 603

I also went all out and got a 64GB wifi yesterday at the apple store and the thing is super fast.
rgarjr is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:33 PM   #17
aneftp
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanFord View Post
Like few tests show 4th gen is just a second faster. Browsing is almost the same.
Its just in the head. Not worth the upgrade.
There could be a potential improvement in gaming experiance, but since I dont game at all wont even notice.

Personaly, think that ipad users who jumped from 3rd to 4th gen will be dissapointed when lighter ipad (like mini) comes out.
Then in points of size and weight with faster cpu would be a great update for us on 3rd gen.
You must be an iPad 3 owner. Feel a lot of iPad 3 owners post same or similar sentiments about iPad 4 owners who will be screwing themselves cause iPad 5 is so much better.

(I have owned all four iPads). Currently own. iPad 3 64GB LTE and just picked up iPad 4 64GB wifi.
aneftp is online now   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:37 PM   #18
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Apple doesn't owe anyone anything.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:38 PM   #19
prism
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
You must be an iPad 3 owner. Feel a lot of iPad 3 owners post same or similar sentiments about iPad 4 owners who will be screwing themselves cause iPad 5 is so much better.

(I have owned all four iPads). Currently own. iPad 3 64GB LTE and just picked up iPad 4 64GB wifi.
iPad 5? Who knows when that will come but we do know that in the long run we're all dead. I live for today!
Enjoy the 4, you won't be sorry.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:43 PM   #20
AlanFord
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post

I am. Since dont have the apple store in my country did watch a bunch of reviews and fresh youtube comparisons. And they all say the upgrade is not worth it. Really, second or two is not that important to me.
Other factor is money. Even with selling 3rd gen I would have to pay a significant amount which is not on option in my budget for just a smaller update.
AlanFord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:50 PM   #21
aneftp
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanFord View Post
I am. Since dont have the apple store in my country did watch a bunch of reviews and fresh youtube comparisons. And they all say the upgrade is not worth it. Really, second or two is not that important to me.
Other factor is money. Even with selling 3rd gen I would have to pay a significant amount which is not on option in my budget for just a smaller update.
I understand.

I was in a little different situation. I had iPad 2 64gb wifi and iPad 3 64gb LTE. I sold my iPad 2 to buy the iPad 4.

So I kept the iPad 3 and added an iPad 4 while selling off the iPad 2.

Gotta have 2 iPads in my home with a 2 year old always using the iPad.
aneftp is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:52 PM   #22
Battlefield Fan
Banned

What happens when the iPad 5 with a thinner and lighter design and slightly better specs comes out in March?
Battlefield Fan is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:56 PM   #23
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post
What happens when the iPad 5 with a thinner and lighter design and slightly better specs comes out in March?
That's only 4 months away. Hmmm... I guess we'll see.

For now I'll enjoy having the latest and greatest. ;'D
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:58 PM   #24
EvilShenaniganZ
macrumors regular

Quote:
Apple did the 4 now to move the release before the holidays. No way they'd release in March. It was a smart move. Yes it sucks for many but as a business it was the best move..

"it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. Itís just common sense."
EvilShenaniganZ is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:00 PM   #25
prism
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It will be bad business for apple because they will condition buyers to shorter cycles which means that fewer ppl will buy the 5 in anticipation of the 6. It's more like apple took the opportunity of October to harmonize product releases. I may be wrong of course.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad