Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:02 PM   #26
AlanFord
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
I understand.

I was in a little different situation. I had iPad 2 64gb wifi and iPad 3 64gb LTE. I sold my iPad 2 to buy the iPad 4.

So I kept the iPad 3 and added an iPad 4 while selling off the iPad 2.

Gotta have 2 iPads in my home with a 2 year old always using the iPad.
Yes, that was an advantage for you. Since this is my first ipad will wait for next gen to sell it, and then buy new one.
You have great situation also that you have original store. I dont, just resellers and price is 60 euros higher. Have to calculate that either.
So when you put all that on paper i lose higher.
True, i was a bit disapointed when I saw the 4th gen ( specialy since mine is 30 days old, and dont have the opportunity of 30days return) but seing the tests, like i sad before. Very happy with 3rd gen, its a great device. Cant have everything
AlanFord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:14 PM   #27
akdj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by chdwil View Post
Well the tests have shown the 4 to only be marginally faster. Not worth it to me.
As has been already addressed, it's a LOT faster...100-150% improvement numbers in GPU, CPU, and memory performance. Twice to two and half times as fast...but, that said...and as you've noticed, with your iPad '3', you're missing nothing at this point in the game other than perceived speed increases in everyday tasking--app launching to spelling correction, browsing speeds or the time it takes to edit a photo/render a video. You're still able to use every piece of software in the App Store and utilize the latest iOS 'goodies'. Don't let it bug ya, don't get caught up in comparisons, etc. the iPad of early 2012 is still a worthy piece of gear and still the second best tab on the market!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
You must be an iPad 3 owner. Feel a lot of iPad 3 owners post same or similar sentiments about iPad 4 owners who will be screwing themselves cause iPad 5 is so much better.

(I have owned all four iPads). Currently own. iPad 3 64GB LTE and just picked up iPad 4 64GB wifi.
I thought the exact same as I read some of these comments. I'm in the same boat as you and have the 64 LTE from earlier this year, a 32gb iPad 2, and still a 32 original iPad that's now the property of our seven year old son. We did the same, sold the '2' and bought the 4. I'm still going with the biggest storage option, but this is the first time I've bought without cellular option. I've got the iPhone 5 for tethering as well as a MiFi card...so this time, I may save the 130. I'm going to take the next two weeks to consider. As you, too came from the early '12 LTE version, are you certain you're going to stick with the wifi only? It's really a nice option and with the AT&T 'bucket plan' now, it's only $20 a month additional without the need to tether (and waste battery life). Just curious as you (& your family) seem to be enjoying your iPads the way we are!

J
akdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:29 PM   #28
dmelgar
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by prism View Post
True, but a lot of people feel that apple pulled a fast one on them because of the unusually short life of the 3.
Right, because producing an upgraded iPad 4 has suddenly made all iPad 3 s inoperative....
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:39 PM   #29
prism
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmelgar View Post
Right, because producing an upgraded iPad 4 has suddenly made all iPad 3 s inoperative....
Not inoperative but to replace what was their flagship iPad by one that is better after only 7 months is a bit short, especially considering that apple typically refreshes once a year if not longer. I can understand the anger but maybe you don't have a problem with shorter cycles?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:41 PM   #30
clyde2801
macrumors 601

I initially was shocked by the early release of the 4, but have come to terms with it. But I think you'd have to be a true power user or avid gamer to tell a substantial performance difference between the two models. Or at least to perceive enough of a difference to sell the 3 for a loss to buy the 4. Especially since my 64gb LTE will take the biggest hit in resale value possible.

My 3 works well enough to do what I need (and want) it to do. I've got enough feature ennui and upgrade fatigue to sit this round out. I may consider the 5, depending on what it has to offer...primarily because my loveable klutz of a wife dropped my tricked out iP2 and it doesn't have applecare plus.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:46 PM   #31
mcdj
macrumors 604

Just played with a 4 at a store. I own the 3.

When I got the iPhone 5, the speed difference between it and my 4S was like night and day. Comparatively, the speed difference between the iPad 3 and 4 is late afternoon and dusk.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:52 PM   #32
RCranium666
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdahe View Post
They should change everyones ipad 3 for the 4. Its a lack of respect to do that. My ipad 3 runs very smooth but sometimes I get the feeling that Apple makes them slow with the updates.. To make you buy the next model
I agree, but they should let you get the comparable model for $100 after trading it in. I'd like to switch my white 64gb lte for the white 64gb non-lte.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post

When I got the iPhone 5, the speed difference between it and my 4S was like night and day. Comparatively, the speed difference between the iPad 3 and 4 is late afternoon and dusk.
So you don't see much of a difference? That's good to hear. I don't want to upgrade mine for 2 years then.
RCranium666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:55 PM   #33
dazz87
macrumors regular

Pick up iPad 4. This is my first ipad and wow im blown away!!!! I was coming from Transformer running Jellybean and the ipad blowTransformer out of the water. Everything is so stable and the battery life is amazing. I was thinking about returning it and getting the ipad 3 (Refurbished) which is $120.00 cheaper but after reading this thread I think I going to keep the 4.
dazz87 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:56 PM   #34
mcdj
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCranium666 View Post
----------

[/COLOR]So you don't see much of a difference? That's good to hear. I don't want to upgrade mine for 2 years then.
I'm sure there's a noticeable difference for gaming/movie editing/etc, but for email/browsing/basic stuff, I saw only a very slight bump in smoothness.

One of the things I tested was app switching via swipe gesture. I found little to no difference in smoothness.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:01 PM   #35
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Unlike the checkerboarding of the one and two, I never found myself at any time doing anything with the three that caused me to groan or grimace.

Oh my Gawd, this web page is taking forever! If only it could load a second faster! Man, this app is taking an eternity to load! If only it took two seconds less....
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:41 PM   #36
prism
macrumors 6502a

I didn't feel much of a difference in basic day to day stuff, it was when I launched iPhoto that it became so obvious. Fluidity that I always wished for! Now I'm a happy camper.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:43 PM   #37
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by prism View Post
I didn't feel much of a difference in basic day to day stuff, it was when I launched iPhoto that it became so obvious. Fluidity that I always wished for! Now I'm a happy camper.
I would think that makes you a mobile power user. Congrats on liking your purchase.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:44 PM   #38
MusicEnthusiast
macrumors 6502

I'm so glad I bought mine too! It really changes the way I view content, especially the news. I don't have cable here at my apartment (yay for being a college student!), and the Pulse app is really neat, designed very well for iPad users.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:54 PM   #39
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
They should change everyones ipad 3 for the 4. Its a lack of respect to do that. My ipad 3 runs very smooth but sometimes I get the feeling that Apple makes them slow with the updates.. To make you buy the next model
You're right. Apple owes everyone a new iPad because the next version was ready after 7 months instead of the 12 months you presumed. And because Samsung, Motorola or HTC would never release a flagship device more frequently than every 12-15 months. And that they warn customers via media blitz on radio and TV to stop making purchases 1-2 months before so that no one ends up with the old model.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:58 PM   #40
zetti
macrumors 6502a

I was never even intending to have an iPad. My iPod 4G was enough but my sister bought me an iPad.. and I love it. iPad mini is good but I highly recommend the iPad 4!
zetti is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 03:59 PM   #41
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
You're right. Apple owes everyone a new iPad because the next version was ready after 7 months instead of the 12 months you presumed. And because Samsung, Motorola or HTC would never release a flagship device more frequently than every 12-15 months. And that they warn customers via media blitz on radio and TV to stop making purchases 1-2 months before so that no one ends up with the old model.
Or they actually lower the price on the model that's about to be discontinued.

Yeah, I know. I've got a better chance expecting the Pope to start handing out condoms.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:13 PM   #42
token787
macrumors regular

I had the 3 Ipad and now own the 4. There's no comparison the 4 blows the 3 iPad away.
token787 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:21 PM   #43
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by token787 View Post
I had the 3 Ipad and now own the 4. There's no comparison the 4 blows the 3 iPad away.
Care to elaborate?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:25 PM   #44
ghsNick
macrumors 68000

I just exchanged my Mini for a 4 and I'm so happy I did. I didn't know the speakers were updated too?

I'm happy because even though the new design is better (Mini/iPhone 5) it seems to attract more scratches. I love this design so much even after the new one comes out with a redesign. Won't be buying it. My iPad is way more susceptible to scratches than a drop. I think this thing will be used for at least 2 generations. Just like the iMac. Glad I got the 2011. I could care less about a new thinner design that compromises features aka disc drive.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:25 PM   #45
Glope
macrumors member

Interesting that many of you are mentioning the speakers, I watched a 'break down' video today showing the inside of the iPad 4 for any hidden upgrades ect in comparison to the 3, and they said the speakers were exactly the same :s
Glope is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:31 PM   #46
Bako-MacAddict
macrumors 6502a

I'm very happy with my new ipad fourth gen. My first ipad and I couldn't be happier! Welcome to the family

Space Gray iPhone 6 128GB | MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011 |iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular 64GB Gold
AT&T
Bako-MacAddict is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:40 PM   #47
sectime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
Care to elaborate?
It is an endorphins release thing
sectime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:56 PM   #48
ZZ Bottom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I agree about Apple releasing updates that intentionally decrease performance. What exactly does iOS 6 contain new that would actually cause it to be noticeably slower on the iPad 3 vs iOS 5? It's like they designed iOS 6 with A6 optimization and neglected the rest. It's frustrating for you iPad 3 owners I'm sure, especially considering that iOS 6 doesn't contain any fundamental changes like widgets or live tiles.
ZZ Bottom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:02 PM   #49
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by sectime View Post
It is an endorphins release thing
Hell, I've spent hundreds more than the iPad for that!
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:40 PM   #50
vjacques
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post

the sad part, the screen issues are still the same, no improvement there whatsoever.
vjacques is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad