Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:45 PM   #1
c073186
macrumors 6502a

How much surge protection do I really need?

I'm thinking of upgrading my TV to a new, Samsung 46-inch LED TV and am wondering how big of a deal surge protection is. Right now I have a fairly standard surge protector (APC brand), nothing fancy but it's more than just a power strip. But do I really need to spend $100-200 on one of those Monster (or similar) surge protectors?

Secondly, I am going to be buying this at Best Buy and probably will buy their extended warranty, which I believe covers power surges... so in that case, should I just use what I currently have since its covered under warranty?

The full set up would include something like this:
- 46 inch LED TV
- Sound bar
- Blu ray player
- DVR
- Might also have various other items such as Time Capsule, printer, radio, etc.
c073186 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Screw Monster they are just over price crapped. Anything that offers a warrenty is generally good.

Btw lighting pretty much will go right threw any surge protector you can buy but that what their warranty is for (like 20k for many).

Personally I would get a APC with a battery back up. We are not talking a very big one. Really you only need enough back up power to last threw a power blip. Nothing is more annoying that having everything turn off on you in the middle of a TV show or a game as a major point. It is not the power blip that sucks but waiting for everything to boot back up which can take a few minutes plus if you are gaming you lose all the work you did since your last save.
Rodimus Prime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:28 PM   #3
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
Screw Monster they are just over price crapped.
Funny saying this on a forum that loves the iPad mini...
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:35 PM   #4
*Batman*
macrumors member

You should check the total wattage you plan to use on the surge protector and buy a quality one that meets those needs. You can do better then Monster Cable in price with other brands such as APC. Monster is good, but they are pricey.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:46 PM   #5
Poonz
macrumors member

I have a monster that came with one tv and nothing on the other. Never had a problem with either.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:32 PM   #6
c073186
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Batman* View Post
You should check the total wattage you plan to use on the surge protector and buy a quality one that meets those needs. You can do better then Monster Cable in price with other brands such as APC. Monster is good, but they are pricey.
This might be a stupid question but how do I find out much wattage or other rating I would need based on what I am plugging into it?

Also, I know most surges say not to plug in another power strip into a surge ... is that really important to not do? Most surge protectors are 8 outlets and I have more than that, so in the past, for my cheaper devices I have a separate, less protective power strip that goes into the surge protector to give me more outlets. Is that a potential problem?
c073186 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:29 AM   #7
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

I've been watching TV for four decades and I've never used a surge protector on one. I've also never had a TV (or anything else, for that matter) damaged from a power surge.

So, do you "need" one? It's up to you, of course, but in my opinion you don't.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:48 AM   #8
wgnoyes
macrumors regular

APC has a line of surge protectors specifically for AV now. http://www.apc.com/products/apcav/index.cfm

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
I've been watching TV for four decades and I've never used a surge protector on one. I've also never had a TV (or anything else, for that matter) damaged from a power surge.

So, do you "need" one? It's up to you, of course, but in my opinion you don't.
You've been lucky! I've had one fried before, and it was an old CRT TV. Just not worth taking the chance.
wgnoyes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:12 PM   #9
lewis82
macrumors 68000

I have previously gone trough the same ordeal and here's the advice I found while searching:

The surge protector will be useless in case of any major power surge (I.E., thunderbolt hits the house), and your electronics will unevitably fry (altough that isn't true of smaller surges). What you really want is a power bar that offers a warranty greater than or equal to the price of all the equipment you plug on it. This way, if anything breaks, you get a free one.

In the end I settled for a 3600J model of something like that, with a $25K warranty IIRC.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:19 PM   #10
MikeFromTexas
macrumors newbie

I use Brick Wall.

www. brickwall.com

Very expensive, but in my experience of using these for over 10 years now, will totally protect your equipment. My computers and audio/video gear (and the surge equipment itself!) survived a direct lightning strike on my house. The lightning blew off the brick chimney, fried the refigerators, etc. But all the equipment protected by the brick wall stuff, was unaffected.

Just my $.02 worth.
MikeFromTexas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:25 AM   #11
3lite
macrumors 6502

IMO better safe than sorry, but it also depends on the brand. Samsung is top quality so you may not need one but say a Vizio or something similar than definitely.
3lite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:59 PM   #12
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFromTexas View Post
I use Brick Wall.

www. brickwall.com

Very expensive, but in my experience of using these for over 10 years now, will totally protect your equipment. My computers and audio/video gear (and the surge equipment itself!) survived a direct lightning strike on my house. The lightning blew off the brick chimney, fried the refigerators, etc. But all the equipment protected by the brick wall stuff, was unaffected.

Just my $.02 worth.
Great post. And what a terrific image......a lightning strike directly hitting your house yet all of the protected electronic equipment remain.....protected. Simply wonderful.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:17 PM   #13
*Batman*
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c073186 View Post
This might be a stupid question but how do I find out much wattage or other rating I would need based on what I am plugging into it?

Also, I know most surges say not to plug in another power strip into a surge ... is that really important to not do? Most surge protectors are 8 outlets and I have more than that, so in the past, for my cheaper devices I have a separate, less protective power strip that goes into the surge protector to give me more outlets. Is that a potential problem?
Most electronics will have the wattage consumed printed on the box or in the manual and most times on the website of the manufacturer for said product. Look up all the specs on what you want to plug into the surge protector and then add the wattage up and seek out the appropriate surge protector.

Plugging in power strips to power strips or surge protectors is generally not good practice.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion