Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I'm thinking of getting a Note2 and am a Mac and iPhone user. I'm trying to think about the things that I might regret, I don't synch music to my phone, so iTunes is not an issue. The only thing I can think of will be airplay between my 4S and my ATV.

Anyone willing to share anythings they miss or regret about switching to anything other then their iPhones?

Thanks.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
I'm thinking of getting a Note2 and am a Mac and iPhone user. I'm trying to think about the things that I might regret, I don't synch music to my phone, so iTunes is not an issue. The only thing I can think of will be airplay between my 4S and my ATV.

Anyone willing to share anythings they miss or regret about switching to anything other then their iPhones?

Thanks.

I just moved to the note 2 from 4-5 years of ios and no I dont miss a thing (itunes is def easier but you dont use that) i was a bit nervous but now when i pick my ipad i just see everything that it is lacking. The note 2 is great! If your tv has dlna you can stream directly anyway

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
After using the note 2, after a while you will pick up your iphone and wonder how did you use such a small phone for all that time!

----------

My jailbreak tweaks/themes and iTunes syncing.

Itunes yes, but jailbreaking tweaks? You can do so much more on android with tweaking.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011

Thanks.

Things I miss from iPhone whenever I switch to Android:

1. People are going to laugh and make fun of me but I actually miss Siri lol. :D But I would probably miss Google Now if I switched back to an iPhone.

2. Music Player is much better for me than the Android one or Play store alternative.

3. There is something about the satisfaction on using the on-screen keyboard that cannot be replicated for me on another phone

I don't really miss the App store anymore, all apps I want are on the Play Store.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c39PXAr9_F8 look at that for a note 2 theme, jailbroken iphone doesnt compete. You can also plug your phone to your tv and use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and you have a computer, you can even plug in your external hard drives to the note 2.

----------

Things I miss from iPhone whenever I switch to Android:

1. People are going to laugh and make fun of me but I actually miss Siri lol. :D But I would probably miss Google Now if I switched back to an iPhone.

2. Music Player is much better for me than the Android one or Play store alternative.

3. There is something about the satisfaction on using the on-screen keyboard that cannot be replicated for me on another phone

I don't really miss the App store anymore, all apps I want are on the Play Store.

I have to extremely disagree with you about the keyboards. That was one area of plesant suprise after moving from apple. The swype like samsung keyboard + s pen = win.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c39PXAr9_F8 look at that for a note 2 theme, jailbroken iphone doesnt compete. You can also plug your phone to your tv and use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and you have a computer, you can even plug in your external hard drives to the note 2.

----------

I have to extremely disagree with you about the keyboards. That was one area of plesant suprise after moving from apple. The swype like samsung keyboard + s pen = win.

Don't get me wrong, Android is amazing when it comes to alternative keyboards (Especially the Note). The problem is me and not the other phones, I just can't seem to get over the iPhone keyboard.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
After using the note 2, after a while you will pick up your iphone and wonder how did you use such a small phone for all that time!

----------

Itunes yes, but jailbreaking tweaks? You can do so much more on android with tweaking.

Unfortunately there are a lot of things I can't or just don't know how to do on Android. In Cydia there are loads of tweaks that modify one single thing. On Android all I see is ROMs to flash.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Unfortunately there are a lot of things I can't or just don't know how to do on Android. In Cydia there are loads of tweaks that modify one single thing. On Android all I see is ROMs to flash.

I thought you had to flash roms to make al the changes but no all you need is launchers and mods that you can get directly from the play store, ive had a play around and theres some pretty cool stuff you can do, its pretty easy and basic, i used to do lots of jailbreaking but havent had to intsal any cutom roms yet.

But yeh coming from ios it does seem harder, although it isnt, you tube is your friend.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011

For some roms, once you begin the flashing, there is a customization menu that lets you decide what to customize on the rom. Also for some roms, once the rom is flashed, you can actually play with the tweaks to fit your needs.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I thought you had to flash roms to make al the changes but no all you need is launchers and mods that you can get directly from the play store, ive had a play around and theres some pretty cool stuff you can do, its pretty easy and basic, i used to do lots of jailbreaking but havent had to intsal any cutom roms yet.

But yeh coming from ios it does seem harder, although it isnt, you tube is your friend.
I'm not having trouble figuring out how to do things, it's just there are a lot of tweaks in Cydia for which there is no equivalent on Android devices, at least none that I'm aware of.

For some roms, once you begin the flashing, there is a customization menu that lets you decide what to customize on the rom. Also for some roms, once the rom is flashed, you can actually play with the tweaks to fit your needs.

I know but those features are no where near the amount of cusomisation you can do with tweaks from Cydia IMO. I don't want to mess with the hardware, I want to mess with the software.

JonL12345

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012
Can you give a specific example of what you are having trouble doing on your Android that you did on your iPhone?

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Im still waiting until next week for my (first) android device (Note II or Nexus 4). There are two things I miss from my (jailbroken) iPhone. Lockinfo (custom lockscreen notifications) and Activator (swipe activated gestures).

Can someone recommend something similar to these?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Can you give a specific example of what you are having trouble doing on your Android that you did on your iPhone?

I'm curious too, can't think of anything.

IntelliScreenX is one example. I actually went back to have a look at the list of stuff I had installed back when I was using my 4S and a lot of the apps/tweaks I already have something equivalent to installed on my GS3.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
Im still waiting until next week for my (first) android device (Note II or Nexus 4). There are two things I miss from my (jailbroken) iPhone. Lockinfo (custom lockscreen notifications) and Activator (swipe activated gestures).

I don't think that the stock Android experience supports lock screen notifications. What you can get are lock screen widgets. I use the Executive Assistant app that consolidates my calendar, texts,email, news feeds,Facebook and Twitter feeds on the lock screen. .IMO, this is better than notifications.

For swipe activated gestures, the Nova launcher might be something to look at.

Last edited:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

GMD is basically like Activator. Less actions can be triggered but it's the best there is AFAIK. https://play.google.com/store/search?q=gmd+gesture+control&c=apps

Works great on both my GS3 and Nexus 7. I assume you're ok with rooting your phone since you jailbreak? Seems like GMD requires you to be rooted.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
Absolutely nothing! Got a Droid Razr HD and let's just say Apple iphone has peaked and will be on the decline.

phishindsn

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2009
I just switched from an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy Note 2. I love the device. I have several things that I miss but I know can be modified or recreated with an app purchase. I am not too much in the whole ROM and jailbreak thing and for the most part stay stock.

Things I miss from IOS
- Notifications on the lock screen, I miss just pressing the unlock button and seeing my notifications. - i know nova launcher :)
- itunes player, its just not the same but I am adapting.
- Air sync, yup I am still one of those who like music local...especially for gym time.

What I don't miss from IOS
- App Updates, no longer do I need to see the little red number for updates. Android just updates...love it.
- Notifications for different accounts and email sync schedules...my phone stops buzzing at midnight - bout time.
- Pop-up browser, a little feature but love it.
- Google Navigation, really integrated and now dont have to deal with another nav app purchase.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A

Thanks.

AirPlay to ATV works from Android phones

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Only one thing I slightly miss. That is tapping the status bar to scroll to top, which on iOS works pretty much with everything.

I tried "tap to top" feature on my GS3, but it only works with a few select default apps and you have to tap the top of the actual phone twice vs the status bar.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
iMessage; would switch back for this
Pull down to refresh in most apps
Reeder
Music app with iRemote headphone support (vol up/down + play pause) I know HTC has this thanks to Beats though but this should be a standard. Windows Phone makes this a hardware requirement for headphone jack.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
I miss the itunes syncing and games. The games on android suck and there are too few.

I also miss the overall build quality and battery life of the iphone4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.