Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
So I just went to the Apple store to pick up the in-stock white 32GB that I ordered last night at 10PM. The guy tells me that they have them in stock but for some reason my order wasn't reserved. He said he would go grab it and bring it out to complete the order.

10 minutes later he shows up and sheepishly says "so... we, uh... have them in stock, but we can't... find them." I figure he is having someone look for them but he just says "it should be ready tomorrow."

Alllllright. Anyone ever run into something like this?

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
36 hours since I placed the pickup order for an "in stock" item and they still haven't reserved it. E-mailing Tim Cook now.

pantherus05

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
36 hours since I placed the pickup order for an "in stock" item and they still haven't reserved it. E-mailing Tim Cook now.

Wow never had this issue. Ordered a 16GB White & Silver Mini last night when inventories refreshed and just got my "Available Now" email. Simple process.

That sounds fishy to me. When the order is confirmed they are required to put the item aside for you. I'd call and ask to speak with the manager.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Well, at least you guys had something to reserve online. I have tried both of the last two nights at a couple of minutes before 10:00pm and going through til 10:30pm refreshing constantly, just in case their system had any delays. But I saw no new inventory appear for the two stores in my region for anything other than 64GB units. I'll keep trying, but if it doesn't improve soon then I may just have to have it shipped and wait the two weeks. Very annoying so far.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
Wow never had this issue. Ordered a 16GB White & Silver Mini last night when inventories refreshed and just got my "Available Now" email. Simple process.

That sounds fishy to me. When the order is confirmed they are required to put the item aside for you. I'd call and ask to speak with the manager.

Yeah, I'm not going to take excuses today. First world problems, I know, but I'm buying an in stock item... there's not really an excuse for not having it almost 24 (now going on 48) hours later.

"We can't find them..." is probably the dumbest excuse I've ever heard. It's not like I bought an iPod shuffle... I bought the new product that Apple is pushing like crazy. How can they "not find them"?

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
Well, at least you guys had something to reserve online. I have tried both of the last two nights at a couple of minutes before 10:00pm and going through til 10:30pm refreshing constantly, just in case their system had any delays. But I saw no new inventory appear for the two stores in my region for anything other than 64GB units. I'll keep trying, but if it doesn't improve soon then I may just have to have it shipped and wait the two weeks. Very annoying so far.

That sucks... it's been In Stock for every store in my area all weekend. Must not be much demand here. I think they could handle the process a little better. Not sure why there's the 10PM-4AM window that is the only time you can check stock. Don't they want to sell them? What difference does it make how the sale is made?

mlw4411

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2011
If any of you live in my area, West Tn. let me know. I'm returning one that has never been opened, still sealed in plastic. I bought 2 and have decided I want the LTE so returning one black 16gb.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
That sucks... it's been In Stock for every store in my area all weekend. Must not be much demand here. I think they could handle the process a little better. Not sure why there's the 10PM-4AM window that is the only time you can check stock. Don't they want to sell them? What difference does it make how the sale is made?

I should clarify, I was specifically after the 16GB model, which has been the most popular. So I understand it is harder to find. However, given that the entry model capacity is almost always the biggest seller (especially considering new iPad buyers), they should have planned accordingly, and right now it doesn't feel like they did. Maybe I am wrong though.

Another issue I have with the online system is that the guys at the store seem to be pushing very hard for customers to use the online reservation system, presumably to decrease the hordes of people either calling them incessantly or coming by the store. And this makes good sense also, however, if you don't have the supply to back it up, then you are just going to piss off your customers. If they know full well that they won't even get any significant supply until mid-week or this coming weekend or xx/xx/xxxx date, then telling me to go online to make a reservation doesn't help me. Just come out and tell me when you expect the supply to increase enough to where the online system will be useful for more than the two lucky people who click submit at the exact right moment.

There is definitely room for improvement here.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
I also hate the "they don't tell us when we are getting stuff or what we are getting" comment that the employees keep giving.

What is the point of this? To annoy people? If you don't want people hassling your employees at the store and on the phone, maybe make it a little clearer when customers can get the product?

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
I also hate the "they don't tell us when we are getting stuff or what we are getting" comment that the employees keep giving.

What is the point of this? To annoy people? If you don't want people hassling your employees at the store and on the phone, maybe make it a little clearer when customers can get the product?

Exactly! There is no reason to not be more communicative. Both Apple and customers would benefit from this. If I was told that there would be zero units available until Wednesday of this week, then I could stop calling them and driving over there hassling them, and I would stop trying to use the online system. This would minimize the phonecalls and foot traffic so they could assist customers with other needs that can actually be taken care of. I don't mind waiting, but I need to know that waiting is necessary as opposed to giving me hope that the online system will help me secure one faster.

My solution is for Apple to send stores two large shipments per week (same days each week) for the just-launched must-have product. Then the night before these shipments customers can go online and have a good chance of reserving their units for the next day. Don't do this randomly with a small number of units every night and expect to satisfy demand. Let's not forget that scalpers are trying to buy up as much as they can to sell on eBay for profit, so we are still having to compete with them in all of this. Make the process more transparent and all of us will be much happier.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
Went in again today and told them the situation. They just kept saying "did you get the confirmation email?" That's all they would say.

I said that the pick up is for NEXT DAY and I placed it on Saturday when the web site said it was "In Stock". Not "In Stock Soon" or "In Stock Sometime this Month".

They (associate and manager) didn't say it in so many words, but the answer is basically that it wasn't in stock and wouldn't be today. I mentioned that we had come in yesterday and were told that it was there but they "couldn't find it" and they didn't really acknowledge it other than saying "yeah he must have had the wrong information".

Customer service at its finest.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
Can you also CC in Everyone@apple.com, that way ALL the employees know!

Good plan! Everyone needs to be aware of this grievous offense! I DON'T HAVE MY IPAD MINI PICKUP ORDER!

Don't give me this nonsense about people having it rough in New York. I ORDERED A PRODUCT FOR PICK UP YESTERDAY AND I STILL DON'T HAVE IT!!!!

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
Good plan! Everyone needs to be aware of this grievous offense! I DON'T HAVE MY IPAD MINI PICKUP ORDER!

Don't give me this nonsense about people having it rough in New York. I ORDERED A PRODUCT FOR PICK UP YESTERDAY AND I STILL DON'T HAVE IT!!!!

My heart goes out to you :D

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
So I went into another store and they had it... cancelled my pickup order.

OMG THE SCREEN SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

OT2000

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
California
I forgot to reserve online so I went in this morning to try and get a white iPad Mini, but all they only had one black 16GB & one black 32GB.

I'll try again tomorrow. :eek:

macrat

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2003
Maui
Did you get the confirmation email? If you didn't, then you screwed up. If you did then Apple screwed up.

Went in again today and told them the situation. They just kept saying "did you get the confirmation email?" That's all they would say.

I said that the pick up is for NEXT DAY and I placed it on Saturday when the web site said it was "In Stock". Not "In Stock Soon" or "In Stock Sometime this Month".

They (associate and manager) didn't say it in so many words, but the answer is basically that it wasn't in stock and wouldn't be today. I mentioned that we had come in yesterday and were told that it was there but they "couldn't find it" and they didn't really acknowledge it other than saying "yeah he must have had the wrong information".

Customer service at its finest.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
Did you get the confirmation email? If you didn't, then you screwed up. If you did then Apple screwed up.

No, I didn't, but I ordered an in stock iPad mini. Not an "in stock soon". And it's been 2 days. So Apple messed up and it wasn't really in stock, or they need to change their definition of "in stock" (according to the site that means ready in an hour).

I wouldn't even care had they not lied to me. That just makes it seem pathetic.

mlw4411

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2011
Just order it from MacMall, my friend ordered one Sunday and it's being delivered Fedex today.
Free shipping and no tax!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.