Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Assuming my MacBook is fully functional... Where do people sell computers now a days?

TOYSTER17

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
Amazon as well. That's what I'll be using.

Which brings me to this question, for anyone that can help me out. I have to sell my macbook (late 2008 alum) before I upgrade to a newer one, how do I back it up before I sell it so I can just move what I have to the new one? and how to delete what's on it before I ship it out to the buyer?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have to sell my macbook (late 2008 alum) before I upgrade to a newer one, how do I back it up before I sell it so I can just move what I have to the new one? and how to delete what's on it before I ship it out to the buyer?
For a backup, you can use Carbon Copy Cloner to create a bootable clone of your drive onto an external hard drive.

As for preparing your Mac for sale, if you're on Snow Leopard or earlier:
If you're on Lion or later:

TOYSTER17

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
For a backup, you can use Carbon Copy Cloner to create a bootable clone of your drive onto an external hard drive.

As for preparing your Mac for sale, if you're on Snow Leopard or earlier:
If you're on Lion or later:

Thanks a lot! Is Time Machine similar to Carbon Copy Cloner? Never used TM before.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Amazon as well. That's what I'll be using.

Which brings me to this question, for anyone that can help me out. I have to sell my macbook (late 2008 alum) before I upgrade to a newer one, how do I back it up before I sell it so I can just move what I have to the new one? and how to delete what's on it before I ship it out to the buyer?

How is amazon different from e bay? Obviously there's no auction... But is it better for the seller. My worry about e bay is getting screwed by the buyer.

TOYSTER17

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
How is amazon different from e bay? Obviously there's no auction... But is it better for the seller. My worry about e bay is getting screwed by the buyer.

I've never sold on ebay, so I couldn't tell you. But my experience has been great on Amazon, have sold a few items, no problems so far. I think it's easier for buyers to scam you on ebay. Not saying that's not the case with Amazon, but I've never read about it like I have with ebay. Either way, when selling/shipping on Amazon I always insure the item and require a signature.

Oh and on ebay you create your own listing. Where on Amazon, let's say the iPad I sold, there is already a listing for it so you don't do anything but set a price for your item.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks a lot! Is Time Machine similar to Carbon Copy Cloner? Never used TM before.
TM can be used for backups, as well. One distinction is that CCC can make bootable clones, which TM can't. That means if your internal drive dies, you can simply boot up from the CCC clone on your backup drive, without having to reinstall or restore anything.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Interestingly, on e bay... They have the listing already created. I love that. It's so nice to not have to add every last detail... Or to make a mistake. I have had good experiences so far with e bay but I worry my luck will run out.:).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.