Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
Just saw these benchmark results from anandtech today...
all I can say is...iPhone 5 is a beast.

Browser, GPU
51291.png

51292.png

51278.png

51283.png

Battery Life
51301.png

51300.png

ReValveiT

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
I hate benchmarks. They make the iPhone4 look really slow when, actually it isn't under normal use.

I'm sure apple love these benchmarks however.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
a lot of that benchmark info is greek to me. although I am surprised at how well the IP5's battery life ranked so high.

Last edited by a moderator:

pdogg93

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
I have an iphone 5 and i love it. I am going to buy a nexus 4 just to compare the android experience, but after seeing these benchmarks i'm just blown away.

How can a nexus 4 do so poorly considering the amount of hardware it has. Quad core, 2 gig of ram, and yet it just sucks. Anybody know?

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I hate benchmarks. They make the iPhone4 look really slow when, actually it isn't under normal use.

I'm sure apple love these benchmarks however.
I agree somewhat, except when I use my 4S next to my friend's 4, it's a very distinguishable difference. But when not compared to others, it's still a great device.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon
I have an iphone 5 and i love it. I am going to buy a nexus 4 just to compare the android experience, but after seeing these benchmarks i'm just blown away.

How can a nexus 4 do so poorly considering the amount of hardware it has. Quad core, 2 gig of ram, and yet it just sucks. Anybody know?

I'm not a very technical person but I think it has to do with how well the software interacts with the hardware... or something like that.

Mac pro 8

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
Even though quad-core is great to have, its gotta function right with the rest of the hardware and software. That's why I like Apple products cause they just work and perform when You want and need them to. ;)

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009

iOS has technologies from OSX such as CoreAnimation that handles graphics..etc very well, unlike android, a poorly packaged linux OS that was never built for touch-screens, and was recently tweaked to achieve smoother graphics (project butter? lol) by shooting its cpu up to 100% :rolleyes:

Google wants to make people believe that android is as smooth and fluid as iOS with their propaganda, but using both OS is real life shows that Google is just full of ****.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012

2 Words: Architecture and Optimization

The A6 chip is miles ahead of the exynos and snapdragon SoC. It's like comparing I5 to I7. I don't want to really get into the technicality of the architecture but you can read up on it in Anandtechs iphone5 review. Basically the A6 chip is on the same level as an A-15 cortex chip while the snapdragon chip is pretty much an A-9.

The second thing is optimization. Apple has created the A6/A6X themselves (1st time) and allows them to specifically target the OS of the iphone as well as take into consideration the other hardware aspects of the iphone such as ram.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011

Fragmentation!!!!!

iOS is an OSX based Operating System (OS), just as Android is a Linux based OS. In turn OSX is a Unix based OS, while Linux is a Unix-like OS.

This in essence tells us nothing. The only thing we can know from it is how it works, not how it performs.

How it performs is a direct result of how well the OS is tweaked for a certain device. Since Apple has fewer devices, it is easier to tweak it to perform better. Since Android is an open-source project, it has hundreds of possible hardware combinations, which in turns adds complexity and affects performance.

I'll further explain this in the smartphone era.

Nokia: They used to built phones around Symbian. Meaning using stuff that performed well under symbian, sometimes even designing their own stuff.

Samsung et al: They take the most powerful chips in the market, send a request to Android foundation to add basic support, and then implement it. Most times it is done in haste. Most manufacturers even add their own (worst built) own layer over Android.

Apple: Design parts that perfectly integrates with each other. They even tweak their OS to exploit to the maximum their hardware capabilities.

Nonetheless it is a curve. At some point Android will perform better than iOS in some departments.

Still Apple having a closed system gives them the strength to have a tight system, tho a non-flexible one.

pdogg93

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
Fragmentation!!!!!

iOS is an OSX based Operating System (OS), just as Android is a Linux based OS. In turn OSX is a Unix based OS, while Linux is a Unix-like OS.

This in essence tells us nothing. The only thing we can know from it is how it works, not how it performs.

How it performs is a direct result of how well the OS is tweaked for a certain device. Since Apple has fewer devices, it is easier to tweak it to perform better. Since Android is an open-source project, it has hundreds of possible hardware combinations, which in turns adds complexity and affects performance.

I'll further explain this in the smartphone era.

Nokia: They used to built phones around Symbian. Meaning using stuff that performed well under symbian, sometimes even designing their own stuff.

Samsung et al: They take the most powerful chips in the market, send a request to Android foundation to add basic support, and then implement it. Most times it is done in haste. Most manufacturers even add their own (worst built) own layer over Android.

Apple: Design parts that perfectly integrates with each other. They even tweak their OS to exploit to the maximum their hardware capabilities.

Nonetheless it is a curve. At some point Android will perform better than iOS in some departments.

Still Apple having a closed system gives them the strength to have a tight system, tho a non-flexible one.

This explains a lot. But aren't these benchmark tests independent of the os? Shouldn't they just test the actual hardware?

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
This explains a lot. But aren't these benchmark tests independent of the os? Shouldn't they just test the actual hardware?

Not independent of the OS - that's the point - these benchmarks are based on real-world use with programs you use everyday like browsers. The tight integration of the OS with the hardware is the hallmark of Apple technical design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.