Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:12 PM   #1
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Question Buy a Verizon phone or wait for Apple?

My iPhone 4 is on it's last leg. I've since changed out the battery twice. Replaced the home button, and now the solder on the battery housing is going and I have to mod my phone with a piece of card board + tape to get the power to work inside the phone.

I'm ready for the iphone 5 but I'm currently using Straight Talk as my provider. I'm ready to trim the sim down but I need to find a store that offers an unlocked GSM iPhone 5.

Should I just go out and purchase an iPhone 5 that's GSM unlocked via Verizon or wait for Apple to offer theirs unlocked.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:15 PM   #2
3rd Rock
Banned

If you can wait a bit.....Depending where you live (USA or Outside) I would be incline to use Apple simply for the 30 return policy and no restocking fee. Verizon has a 14 day return policy and so does AT&T - Sprint.
3rd Rock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:28 PM   #3
forcetactic
macrumors 6502

ATT locked iPhones work with straight talk as well
forcetactic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcetactic View Post
ATT locked iPhones work with straight talk as well
If I'm going to drop 600+ on a phone I'd want to make sure it's unlocked for when I head over seas.

I'm looking for GSM unlocked iPhones specifically.

As of now the only way I know of obtaining one would be to purchase one through Verizon or wait for Apple. I won't be jailbreaking the device.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:47 PM   #5
faiz23
macrumors 6502

If you are planning on using straight talk then LTE has no effect on you. I would recommend get what ever you can get your hands on at the lowest price. Check craigslist along with apple stores, bestbuy, at&t, walmart, radioshack and online. You will have to program APN, and MMS for both of them to have data working. This is the speeds you can expect on straight talk using AT&T HSPA+
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo test.PNG
Views:	16
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	375036  
faiz23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:39 PM   #6
forcetactic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemütlichkeit View Post
If I'm going to drop 600+ on a phone I'd want to make sure it's unlocked for when I head over seas.

I'm looking for GSM unlocked iPhones specifically.

As of now the only way I know of obtaining one would be to purchase one through Verizon or wait for Apple. I won't be jailbreaking the device.
If you buy full price, it will be factory unlocked by default. In the random chance that it isn't, then there are ebay unlocks for $3 about.

Only good part about verizon phones is that LTE works in more parts of Europe. ATT LTE bands will work with ATT and Tmobile (once they get it). If straight talk later gets LTE, it will work on ST as well.
forcetactic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone