Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:42 PM   #1
animatedude
macrumors 6502a

after spending a few weeks with my iPhone 5, i can officially say i miss my iPhone 4!

man...i never never thought i would say this but after spending a few weeks with my iPhone 5, i can officially say i miss my iPhone 4 for two main reasons:

-say what you say about the size of the iPhone, 3.5 is the perfect size for using with one hand and i'm not against bigger displays, i'm just saying for the normal average use the 3.5'' size in so many ways.

-the battery life of the iPhone 5 is AWFUL! beyond awful....it's the worst battery life of anything i bought in the last decade! i miss the the standby battery life of the iPhone 4, now i have to charge my iPhone every time i come from outside.

and i'm not going all the rubbishness behind IOS 6 i assume the previous generation iPhones are effected too...

Please don't take this as another complain thread, i'm the biggest Apple fanboy i love my Macbook Air, my Mac mini,my iMac, my cinema display, my iPod,my iPhone 4 and my Apple TV.
animatedude is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:45 PM   #2
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

sell your iphone 5
numberforty1 is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:46 PM   #3
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedude View Post
man...i never never thought i would say this but after spending a few weeks with my iPhone 5, i can officially say i miss my iPhone 4 for two main reasons:

-say what you say about the size of the iPhone, 3.5 is the perfect size for using with one hand and i'm not against bigger displays, i'm just saying for the normal average use the 3.5'' size in so many ways.

-the battery life of the iPhone 5 is AWFUL! beyond awful....it's the worst battery life of anything i bought in the last decade! i miss the the standby battery life of the iPhone 4, now i have to charge my iPhone every time i come from outside.

and i'm not going all the rubbishness behind IOS 6 i assume the previous generation iPhones are effected too...

Please don't take this as another complain thread, i'm the biggest Apple fanboy i love my Macbook Air, my Mac mini,my iMac, my cinema display, my iPod,my iPhone 4 and my Apple TV.
First of all, I can see where you are coming from in terms of screen size. I enjoy the larger screen on the iP5, but I find myself having some trouble doing tasks on the phone with my thumb now, especially when trying to press the 'back' button on the top left corner of most stock apps. My suggestion to apple is that they should implement the 'swipe to right' to go back gesture found in apps like flipboard.

Second, are you in an area with poor LTE reception? if so, that will greatly reduce your batter life. and if you restored your data from your previous phone to the iP5, that can also cause battery drain.
JS82712 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:46 PM   #4
RCRod83
macrumors regular

After using my iPhone 5 for more than a month, I can say that I can never go back to a smaller screen. I was worried at first that the taller, but same width screen, wouldn't work, but I was wrong. It's perfect (for now) for me.

My battery life is really good, but then again, when I am at the office, I plug it in to charge, and in the car I plug it in to charge as well.
RCRod83 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:48 PM   #5
The Game 161
macrumors 601

The screen size went from 3.5 to 4 not 3.5 to 4.8
The Game 161 is online now   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:56 PM   #6
darster
macrumors 68000

Some people do prefer smaller screens. Just look at how many people are still holding on the the palm pre and it's variants. They love the size, and the os. Not everyone wants a large screen.
darster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 04:58 PM   #7
jasonmac21
macrumors member

I'm loving the bigger screen. The battery life is terrible, though. And yes, I am in an area with excellent LTE, which I usually have off because of how much it drains the battery.
jasonmac21 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:05 PM   #8
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
if you restored your data from your previous phone to the iP5, that can also cause battery drain.
I restored from my old iPhone 4 to my new iPhone 5 with no detrimental battery issues. I like my iPhone 5 more than the 4 because of the larger screen, the wider colour space and the camera improvements. I don't like the headphone jack at the other end though. It doesn't work with my flip case (it does have a hole), but then when you open it to change the playlist it's all caught up.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:09 PM   #9
fishmoose
macrumors 68000

I'm in the opposite corner. I was an iPhone 4 user for over two years and I loved it so much I considered if it was really worth upgrading to an iP5. But now after having mine for a few weeks I love it. I find the screen to be the perfect size for me, having the space for extra information helps me get in and out of apps quicker.

The iP5 is incredibly fast and it doesn't ever run out of RAM for me which I find very nice, no more apps reloading evey time I switch between them. The data connectivity is much faster on 3G (No LTE support in Sweden).

My battery lasts for about 10-12 hours of usage if I turn of 3G while at home which I do.

I could never go back to my iPhone 4 now. The iPhone 5 has even made my iPad 2 feel old and sluggish.
fishmoose is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:11 PM   #10
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmac21 View Post
I'm loving the bigger screen. The battery life is terrible, though. And yes, I am in an area with excellent LTE, which I usually have off because of how much it drains the battery.
LTE actually gives you good battery life
tymaster50 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:15 PM   #11
MattZani
macrumors 68020

I couldn't go back to the smaller screen now, using friends 4/4S' is horrible, its just cramped.

My 5 battery life is better than my 4S.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:21 PM   #12
stoneland
macrumors member

I kind of agree about the screen size. 3.5" was an "ideal" size for one-handed use for me. I can still use the 5 one-handed with no real problem, but the smaller screen just made it easier and more balanced in my hand. As for battery, I actually find the life on my 5 better than the 4...
stoneland is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:31 PM   #13
animatedude
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
First of all, I can see where you are coming from in terms of screen size. I enjoy the larger screen on the iP5, but I find myself having some trouble doing tasks on the phone with my thumb now, especially when trying to press the 'back' button on the top left corner of most stock apps. My suggestion to apple is that they should implement the 'swipe to right' to go back gesture found in apps like flipboard.

Second, are you in an area with poor LTE reception? if so, that will greatly reduce your batter life. and if you restored your data from your previous phone to the iP5, that can also cause battery drain.

we don't have LTE here yet but can you tell me more about restoring from previous phone? because that's what i did...i restored from iPhone 4 using iCloud then iTunes.

how can i change this now?
animatedude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:03 PM   #14
Deasnutz
macrumors regular

Try disabling traffic and other things in location services, and lte. that helped me some. also a few rounds of calibration.

i too felt like my 4s was still a perfectly adequate phone and better fitting to my hand. The larger screen doesn't logically allow you to do anything groundbreaking, but it is slightly better color. Whatever, they only come around once a year, and its fun to explore a new gadget.
Deasnutz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:08 PM   #15
noteple
macrumors 6502a

My battery life is the same if not better than my 4s with LTE to boot.

Good news is you can sell your 5 buy a 4 or 4s and pocket the difference.
noteple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:21 PM   #16
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedude View Post
we don't have LTE here yet but can you tell me more about restoring from previous phone? because that's what i did...i restored from iPhone 4 using iCloud then iTunes.

how can i change this now?
If you dont need your previous data, then simply do a DFU restore from iTunes and sign into iCloud to retrieve your contacts/notes..etc after (note, this is NOT the same as 'restore from iCloud' during the initial setup process after the restore; if you restore from iCloud, all of your previous settings come back, thus defeating the purpose of a DFU restore)

Guide: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/25/iphon...ence-from-rec/

If you do need your data, just try 'restore all settings' in your iPhone settings

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
LTE actually gives you good battery life
that depends on your lte reception.
JS82712 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:39 PM   #17
Megalobyte
macrumors 6502a

A properly functioning 5 has amazing battery life, if yours is as bad as you say, there's something wrong with it.

The screen size is of course a matter of preference.
Megalobyte is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:46 PM   #18
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by noteple View Post
My battery life is the same if not better than my 4s with LTE to boot.
Same here. Battery life is great.
I could never go back to using an i4 from an iPhone 5.
I dont wanna go backwards.
Applejuiced is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:32 PM   #19
tucker3434
macrumors regular

My battery life has been great until today. I spent the day driving around rural nc. It must have been searching for lte all day. It was dead dead by the time I got back after minimal use. I'll use it a lot during the day in atl and still have 50% at the end of the day.
tucker3434 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:47 PM   #20
MonkeyET
macrumors 6502

I have a 4 and am thinking of trading in an getting a 4S. As much as I would love to get a 5, I don't feel like spending the money at this junction. I have seen where the screen acts like a typical LCD screen and blurs if you push too hard. Has anyone else seen this or did I just catch an oddity?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:51 PM   #21
Droidrage729
macrumors 6502

Coming from an android phone so I'm use to getting terrible battery life with lte on. I usually keep it off till I need it my battery life is excellent. News flash for all you iphone guys who just got an lte capable device IT KILLS YOUR BATTERY FASTER that's all lte devices beat battery life I've every gotten out of a smartphone is my i5 without a doubt
Droidrage729 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:00 PM   #22
AnotherBrian
macrumors regular

I don't know what all you have turned on but my battery life on the five seems far better than the 4s. For me I love the bigger screen, the iPhone 5 seems normal to me now. The 4 looks short.
AnotherBrian is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:05 PM   #23
smallnshort247
macrumors 6502a

Apple still sells the iPhone 4 and 4s for people like you. You can always go back if you'd like to!
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:05 PM   #24
daneoni
macrumors G4

I miss audio output of my 4S and thats it. iPhone 5 is superior in every other way.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:08 PM   #25
ineedamac
macrumors 6502

I have been using my iPhone 5 for about a week now. So far no complaints. Things I like are larger screen, retina display, speed (opening and closing apps etc), weight.
ineedamac is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone