Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:59 PM   #1
robin0627
macrumors newbie

Will the SSD inside my rMBP gets hurt if I use the uTorrent

I am not a computer expert but I heard that SSD has much less write and read times than traditional hard disk. So it is not advisable to use Torrent apps with SSD as this shorten its life. But is it true?
robin0627 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:27 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin0627 View Post
I am not a computer expert but I heard that SSD has much less write and read times than traditional hard disk. So it is not advisable to use Torrent apps with SSD as this shorten its life. But is it true?
You probably won't exceed the maximum writes for many years, if you're a typical user.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:29 AM   #3
takeshi74
macrumors 601

With that reasoning you shouldn't so anything with your SSD.

It's certainly true that SSD's have fewer writes but the precautions you're willing to take are a personal call that you have to make. I'd suggest just using it as you like.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin0627 View Post
Agreed with the others. You shouldn't be afraid of this. In addition to the others' post, also keep in mind if a memory cell on our SSD becomes dead, it'll just been mapped out. All you'll notice is just the slightly decreased capacity and nothing else - the entire SSD won't just break down.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:30 PM   #5
robin0627
macrumors newbie

Thanks!!!! I don't have to transfer the large files from my old macbook to the rMBP now
robin0627 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store