Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:59 PM   #1
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lusaka, Zambia(If you know where it is)
Learn OpenGL?

Yes, I'd like to learn OpenGL programming. I can't really get a book, and am in no state to steal one. So, I'd like some good online resources, get now ledge of the basics, and build up from there. Please?
__________________
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:05 PM   #2
throAU
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perth, Western Australia
http://www.google.com/?q=beginner+opengl+tutorial

seriously, there are HEAPS of resources out there, including the documentation in Xcode, example code on the developer portal (free account available), etc.
__________________
MBP (early 2011) - Core i7 2720 2.2ghz, Hires Glossy, 16GB, Seagate Momentus XT 750GB
Mac Mini (mid 2007) - Core2 Duo 1.8, 2gb, 320gb 7200 rpm
iPhone 4S, iPad 4, iPad Mini, HTC One (eval)
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:17 PM   #3
adildacoolset
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lusaka, Zambia(If you know where it is)
Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
http://www.google.com/?q=beginner+opengl+tutorial

seriously, there are HEAPS of resources out there, including the documentation in Xcode, example code on the developer portal (free account available), etc.
I'm checking some out, but because there are so many, are there any good ones that you personally know of and can recommend me? Thanks
__________________
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:06 AM   #4
holmesf
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post
Yes, I'd like to learn OpenGL programming. I can't really get a book, and am in no state to steal one. So, I'd like some good online resources, get now ledge of the basics, and build up from there. Please?
Just be sure that when you learn OpenGL your resources teach OpenGL 3 or later. OpenGL is a very old API and much of it is considered deprecated. It's a waste of time to learn about these old features. You want to be sure you're learning a shader based approach, not the fixed functionality approach.
holmesf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:13 AM   #5
adildacoolset
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lusaka, Zambia(If you know where it is)
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesf View Post
Just be sure that when you learn OpenGL your resources teach OpenGL 3 or later. OpenGL is a very old API and much of it is considered deprecated. It's a waste of time to learn about these old features. You want to be sure you're learning a shader based approach, not the fixed functionality approach.
Ok, so I've found what seems to be a good resource. Although the thingy is for OpenGL 3.3, which, annoyingly, macs don't support. Oh well, I also like Ubuntu
__________________
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:28 PM   #6
holmesf
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post
Ok, so I've found what seems to be a good resource. Although the thingy is for OpenGL 3.3, which, annoyingly, macs don't support. Oh well, I also like Ubuntu
I don't know about 3.3, but Mac OS X 10.7+ supports OpenGL 3.2. I doubt the additions to 3.3 will matter much, and if they do they are likely covered in Mac OS X through extensions.
holmesf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:48 PM   #7
adildacoolset
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lusaka, Zambia(If you know where it is)
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesf View Post
I don't know about 3.3, but Mac OS X 10.7+ supports OpenGL 3.2. I doubt the additions to 3.3 will matter much, and if they do they are likely covered in Mac OS X through extensions.
Ok I'll try. I really like Xcode and a, happy. Thanks.
__________________
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:42 AM   #8
Hem Dutt
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: INDIA
You can try
https://developer.apple.com/library/...ngl_intro.html

for getting started with OpenGL on Mac

Last edited by maflynn; Feb 7, 2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Removed simulated sig
Hem Dutt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:46 PM   #9
adildacoolset
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lusaka, Zambia(If you know where it is)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hem Dutt View Post
You can try
https://developer.apple.com/library/...ngl_intro.html

for getting started with OpenGL on Mac
I've checked it out, and it seems to say to read the Red Book. This is for the older versions, which are as pointed out, riddled with deprecated code
__________________
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error

Last edited by maflynn; Feb 7, 2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: clean up
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:27 PM   #10
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603
 
ArtOfWarfare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare


I find that learning OGRE 3D is more worthwhile... you didn't explain what you were looking to accomplish, though.
__________________
Don't tell me Macs don't last: 2007 iMac, 2007 Mac Mini, 2008 MacBook Air, all Vintage.
(iMac obsoletion: April 28, 2015, MBA: October 14, 2015, Mac Mini: March 9, 2016)
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how hard is it to learn OpenGL ES thekev iPhone/iPad Programming 17 Feb 22, 2014 05:37 PM
Best way for a beginner to learn OpenGL? ThePiratkapten Mac Programming 7 Jan 1, 2014 10:29 PM
OpenGL 4.0 MagnusVonMagnum OS X Mavericks (10.9) 2 Jan 1, 2014 09:44 PM
OS X OpenGL 4 foijord Wasteland 7 Jul 19, 2012 06:09 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC