Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ratpack1961

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
Right now my ipad 4 will actually start to run warm just web browsing. When I run games it gets very hot. Lower left corner just like the ipad 3 did.

I have a genius appointment tomorrow to maybe exchange for another one. I'm curious if any other ipad 4 owners are experiencing warmth issues on the lower left corner even during small tasks.

If not then I'm going to have to talk the genius reps into exchanging to a new one. I've read that draining the battery three times will actually solve heat issues (yep people posted that) so not sure if they'll offer that as advice.

I called into apple care and running the battery to zero percent was all they could advise.

mFrazz

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
No problems so far with the 4. I've used it for some research projects for four hours and didn't notice any heat. I think it's actually cooler than the 3 I just sold.

Ratpack1961

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
I wanted to follow up my post that I did take it back to the apple store and got a new unit that runs much cooler.

It does get warm during games but nothing like the ipad 3.

I'm not sure what was wrong with the first unit, I think it was a wifi issue (when i first turned it on it couldn't find any local wifi connections which was strange). However if your searching the forums and have the same issue where it runs very hot, take back the unit.

So for sure Ipad 4 runs cooler than Ipad 3.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
Same issues here...

Bought iPad 4 32GB last night, had some weird wifi drops in speed, restored the ipad, updated to 6.0.1. After doesn't seem to have the wifi drops but bottom left side up to the middle left side gets warm just for wifi browsing with 100 brightness.

Normal ? Or am I being OCD ?

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Same issues here...

Bought iPad 4 32GB last night, had some weird wifi drops in speed, restored the ipad, updated to 6.0.1. After doesn't seem to have the wifi drops but bottom left side up to the middle left side gets warm just for wifi browsing with 100 brightness.

Normal ? Or am I being OCD ?

Just curious why you need 100% brightness. How are your eyes still in your head?

----------

I wanted to follow up my post that I did take it back to the apple store and got a new unit that runs much cooler.

It does get warm during games but nothing like the ipad 3.

That's good to know. Glad you got it sorted. Mine is coming soon.

Candykwan

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
i have my brightness at 50% give or take a few degrees and i find it gets a little warm when i'm on it for a long time but nothing hazardous. unless it burns me or explodes, i won't be worry too much about it

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Reviews of the iPad 4 have all mostly claimed that it does get just as warm as iPad 3 when running intense applications. Whether that's an issue for ou or not is subjective, but it doesn't indicate anything is wrong with your iPad.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Reviews of the iPad 4 have all mostly claimed that it does get just as warm as iPad 3 when running intense applications. Whether that's an issue for ou or not is subjective, but it doesn't indicate anything is wrong with your iPad.

Well, then Ipad 4 is same weight as Ipad 3 and it get as warm as Ipad 3.

Why did they even release it anyway???? Did the battery last longer??

Or just to sell lightning port.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
Just curious why you need 100% brightness. How are your eyes still in your head?

:D

When I buy Apple product due to have been "burned" in the past I always test them to maximum, full brightness, play intensive game for at least 30 minutes, play one HD movie, test wireless speed with Buzz Player HD which allows me to connect to SMB shares on my NAS and transfer directly thru that (it shows speed throughput, is that a word ? :D) and other tests.

Brightness will let me rule out any issue with screen :) And yes it's hard on the eyes :D

But coming from an iPad 2 where I only noticed heating while charging and playing games at the same time this is big news.

I was just browsing this website/forum, Verge and others and the left side god mildly warm :eek: From browsing ? :eek:

Either way, I'm going to keep it, it's not that it bothers me it's just that I don't want to have a faulty device from start :) Especially when I paid 812dollars (paid in Euros, converted to dollars just for perspective).

Last edited:

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
The 'heat' on my iPad 3 never bothered me.

It's a really powerful computer in such a small form factor, so a little heat is to be expected.

The thing will have been tested under lots of different stress uses, so it won't be a problem other than your hand getting a bit warm.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well, then Ipad 4 is same weight as Ipad 3 and it get as warm as Ipad 3.

Why did they even release it anyway???? Did the battery last longer??

Or just to sell lightning port.

You get the A6X processor which 2x as powerful and I imagine Apple wanted to move away from the A5X manufacturing.

The battery does last longer in the iPad 4 (maybe 1 - 1.5 hours extra) in every day use and of course it now standardises the lighting port so that Apple can try and encourage manufacturers to bring out new devices with support for the new port.

Add to the fact Apple strict licensing for third party lightning cables and adapters = lots of money & control for Apple.

I think they took the chance to update the 'new' ipad to the 'newer' ipad simply because it suits Apple and their manufacturing and supply chain.

Don't assume Apple update hardware 'just for the consumers benefit', it's mostly down to their benefit, - its just that the consumer either gets a nice more powerful ipad.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
You get the A6X processor which 2x as powerful and I imagine Apple wanted to move away from the A5X manufacturing.

The battery does last longer in the iPad 4 (maybe 1 - 1.5 hours extra) in every day use and of course it now standardises the lighting port so that Apple can try and encourage manufacturers to bring out new devices with support for the new port.

Add to the fact Apple strict licensing for third party lightning cables and adapters = lots of money & control for Apple.

I think they took the chance to update the 'new' ipad to the 'newer' ipad simply because it suits Apple and their manufacturing and supply chain.

Don't assume Apple update hardware 'just for the consumers benefit', it's mostly down to their benefit, - its just that the consumer either gets a nice more powerful ipad.

I think we can sum up that Apple is doing it purely for their own goods than consumers since lightning port was supposed to make device slimmer but we do not see that in the new Ipad and probably in the coming ones.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I think we can sum up that Apple is doing it purely for their own goods than consumers since lightning port was supposed to make device slimmer but we do not see that in the new Ipad and probably in the coming ones.

You really think they are going to release a brand new product and use the old connector???

I'm as invested in the old connector as anyone, but even I can see this is completely expected.

layziegtp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
I consider it a positive. I don't get a lot of blood flow to my hands because I just sit and play with my iPad all the time, the warm back feels wonderful on my clammy palms.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
All the heat on my iPad 3 always seems to come from the display. It'll get warm if it's above 80% brightness or so after around 15 minutes. Lower brightness (50%) produces no noticeable heat for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.