Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:35 PM   #1
Knockoutjosie
macrumors 6502

Can someone please explain push notifications to me.

Like even if I have the app turned off will I still be using push ? And even if I'm not getting notifications from say Instagram , will it still be using push? Like if I have it in the notifications turned on? Please help
Knockoutjosie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:46 PM   #2
darkside flow
macrumors 6502

Push notification is a system where an app sends you alerts from the server for certain events like messages, updates, etc. Apple has designed it so that the app doesn't need to be open all the time so you get your notifications but they push to the device when they arrive.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:50 PM   #3
Knockoutjosie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside flow View Post
Push notification is a system where an app sends you alerts from the server for certain events like messages, updates, etc. Apple has designed it so that the app doesn't need to be open all the time so you get your notifications but they push to the device when they arrive.
Even tho I don't recive a message from "fb messenger app" does it still use push data?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:19 AM   #4
scyap
macrumors member

You get it from the central Apple push servers right?

Yes, receiving a fB messages will be pushed to your phone, but you don't have to worry about battery life..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_P...cation_Service
scyap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:28 AM   #5
applefanDrew
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockoutjosie View Post
Like even if I have the app turned off will I still be using push ? And even if I'm not getting notifications from say Instagram , will it still be using push? Like if I have it in the notifications turned on? Please help

In order for an OS to get notifications from many apps, it has to "listen" for notifications on different ports (each app would have its own port). That kills battery life. Apple push notifications works like this: iOS listens to only one port, the one that is connected to Apple's servers. A third party app (fb, twitter, Instagram) sends its notification to Apple's server, which in turn sends the notification out to your device. Thus, many apps can push, but only one port needs to be open. This allows for much better battery life.
applefanDrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:37 AM   #6
Knockoutjosie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by applefanDrew View Post
In order for an OS to get notifications from many apps, it has to "listen" for notifications on different ports (each app would have its own port). That kills battery life. Apple push notifications works like this: iOS listens to only one port, the one that is connected to Apple's servers. A third party app (fb, twitter, Instagram) sends its notification to Apple's server, which in turn sends the notification out to your device. Thus, many apps can push, but only one port needs to be open. This allows for much better battery life.
So would you say that having Instagram and twitter on notifications would cause alot of battery drain?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:28 AM   #7
airynmanj
macrumors newbie

Yes, receiving a fB messages will be pushed to your phone
airynmanj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:20 AM   #8
Ice-Cube
macrumors 6502a

I always wondered how long are the push notifications stored on the server? What if I switched my phone off for a month, will I get all the backdated notifications when I turn my phone on?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:41 AM   #9
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
So would you say that having Instagram and twitter on notifications would cause alot of battery drain?
Depends on how many notifications you're getting and what you mean by "a lot". There are probably bigger fish to fry on the battery drain front if that's your primary concern.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:49 AM   #10
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Cube View Post
I always wondered how long are the push notifications stored on the server? What if I switched my phone off for a month, will I get all the backdated notifications when I turn my phone on?
yes, like text messages and stuff
tymaster50 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:52 AM   #11
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
No, because what is pushed to the phone is the notification, which is typically small and quickly delivered. Email checks are likely to pull in a lot more data/drain more battery than notifications.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:00 AM   #12
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw View Post
No, because what is pushed to the phone is the notification, which is typically small and quickly delivered. Email checks are likely to pull in a lot more data/drain more battery than notifications.
Well depending on how many you get the battery WILL drain. I got maybe 10 instagram notifications and 2 text messages when I went to bed and in the morning it was at around 94%, from a full charge.
tymaster50 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:03 AM   #13
tvith
macrumors member

If I'm not mistaken, leaving push notification on does drain the battery because even if you don't have any notification your phone still has to send out the request to see if there is any. I know some phones have the option of setting it to check constantly, every hr, every few hrs, etc. Checking it constantly drains more battery than every few hrs. I'm not sure what the options are for the iPhone as I'm still waiting to receive my FIRST one..lol. 2 more days and I'll have it.
tvith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:05 AM   #14
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
Well depending on how many you get the battery WILL drain. I got maybe 10 instagram notifications and 2 text messages when I went to bed and in the morning it was at around 94%, from a full charge.
Losing only 6% in ~8 hours is pretty darned good. I'm sure they use battery, but having WiFi on uses battery, and having cellular on uses battery, so of that 6%, it's unlikely much was due to notifications themselves.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:39 AM   #15
Knockoutjosie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw View Post
Losing only 6% in ~8 hours is pretty darned good. I'm sure they use battery, but having WiFi on uses battery, and having cellular on uses battery, so of that 6%, it's unlikely much was due to notifications themselves.
I leave wifi on my phone overnight and I wake up with 100% haha

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone