Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 9, 2005, 01:04 PM   #1
pammyspyce
macrumors regular

Wireless USB Adapter for an iMac G3

My kids have an iMac G3 that doesn't have an airport card. We moved their desk last night and now the ethernet cable doesn't reach the computer. I'd have my husband move it except he had *just* moved it to the previous location (I like to rearrange furniture a lot). So I figured I would buy a wireless USB adapter so I can move the computer around as much as I'd like and not have to deal with the cable. Can someone recommend a wireless USB adapter that will work with an old iMac G3 AND the current AirPort Extreme base? The cheaper the better.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 01:09 PM   #2
e˛Studios
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammyspyce
My kids have an iMac G3 that doesn't have an airport card. We moved their desk last night and now the ethernet cable doesn't reach the computer. I'd have my husband move it except he had *just* moved it to the previous location (I like to rearrange furniture a lot). So I figured I would buy a wireless USB adapter so I can move the computer around as much as I'd like and not have to deal with the cable. Can someone recommend a wireless USB adapter that will work with an old iMac G3 AND the current AirPort Extreme base? The cheaper the better.

Thanks in advance.
Here is a link to a similar question and some links in response. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...t=usb+wireless

A quick search of the forums may give more links

Good Luck
Ed
Old Sep 9, 2005, 01:21 PM   #3
pammyspyce
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed H
Here is a link to a similar question and some links in response. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...t=usb+wireless

A quick search of the forums may give more links

Good Luck
Ed
Thank you, I know how to use the search feature. I guess I'm just a bit paranoid after my experience trying to find a compatible USB adapter to use with my TiVo. My husband and I literally went through at least 10 different ones before we found one that worked. Even the ones on TiVo's compatibility list wouldn't work. It was a NIGHTMARE. So I was hoping someone could tell me of one that they have personally used with an iMac G3 and the current AE base. I don't want to buy one and have it not work. That's more hassle than just drilling a new hole for the ethernet cable. KWIM?
Old Sep 9, 2005, 01:23 PM   #4
pammyspyce
macrumors regular

Another thought, is there any way to hijack the connection from my iMac G5? It's right next to the G3. That could work, too. At least for now.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help