Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:01 AM   #1
xSinghx
macrumors member

iTunes Library Question (multiple drives - keeping it current)

I have a 2008 mac pro desktop and a 2010 macbook pro 15in.

The Context:

When I bought my macbook pro I copied all my music from my desktop hard drive to an external hard drive for use with my laptop. I was using my laptop exclusively for a number of months without using my desktop but the music I collected on the external hard drive was relatively small so when I went back to my desktop it was not an issue to select those few albums on my external drive and import them into the desktop hard drive library.

The Problem:

I am now back to my laptop exclusively for a while and copied my desktop library back to my external drive. The issue is the time I've spent on my desktop has expanded the amount of music considerably so while i can connect my external drive to my laptop and see my music it is only the music from before. All the new music added to the external drive is not showing up in iTunes though it is there on the drive. It would be considerably time consuming to select each individual album added from the drive and import it to the library. Is there a way to get iTunes to rescan the drive to rebuild the list of music on the drive to show correctly in iTunes.

Thanks,
xSinghx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:09 AM   #2
4cux
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSinghx View Post
I have a 2008 mac pro desktop and a 2010 macbook pro 15in.

The Context:

When I bought my macbook pro I copied all my music from my desktop hard drive to an external hard drive for use with my laptop. I was using my laptop exclusively for a number of months without using my desktop but the music I collected on the external hard drive was relatively small so when I went back to my desktop it was not an issue to select those few albums on my external drive and import them into the desktop hard drive library.

The Problem:

I am now back to my laptop exclusively for a while and copied my desktop library back to my external drive. The issue is the time I've spent on my desktop has expanded the amount of music considerably so while i can connect my external drive to my laptop and see my music it is only the music from before. All the new music added to the external drive is not showing up in iTunes though it is there on the drive. It would be considerably time consuming to select each individual album added from the drive and import it to the library. Is there a way to get iTunes to rescan the drive to rebuild the list of music on the drive to show correctly in iTunes.

Thanks,

Export the Library from your desktop and import it into your laptop's itune

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Tags
itunes library