Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:35 AM   #1
Heresiarch
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Netherlands
iPhone 5 home key making strange clicking :(

After 5 days of usage, since yesterday, my iPhone 5 home key is making strange clicking noises. It happens when I put even the faintest pressure on it and then move my finger away. It feels like that the resisting mechanism in it becomes hyper sensitive to pressure. If I push it a little more harder or just push it for several times it will go away, but after a bit of time "cooling down" it'll come back. The home key otherwise is actually perfect in function and feels much more robust than my old 4/4s.

Now I'm really tempted to open up the screen just to check out what's wrong with the home key .

Sending it back is pretty much out of question because I'm in Netherlands and the return policy seems to be very strange compared to the US...
Heresiarch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:43 AM   #2
Winepronecowboy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Its clicking when you click it then?
Winepronecowboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:13 AM   #3
Merkie
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
There's an Apple Store in Amsterdam, go visit .
Merkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Heresiarch
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Netherlands
The clicking sound is there even if I'm pushing it with a 0.1 Newton of pressure...

I''m living in Maastricht which means a trip to Amsterdam is 6-7 hours of traveling time in a day and 47 for a return ticket, which is not exactly an economic way for me to get rid of a "annoying" issue. And there's no assurance that worse things won't happen for a new phone like getting scuffgated or a worse home key.

I guess I need to live with it...
Heresiarch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:24 AM   #5
blaake
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heresiarch View Post
After 5 days of usage, since yesterday, my iPhone 5 home key is making strange clicking noises. It happens when I put even the faintest pressure on it and then move my finger away. It feels like that the resisting mechanism in it becomes hyper sensitive to pressure. If I push it a little more harder or just push it for several times it will go away, but after a bit of time "cooling down" it'll come back. The home key otherwise is actually perfect in function and feels much more robust than my old 4/4s.

Now I'm really tempted to open up the screen just to check out what's wrong with the home key .

Sending it back is pretty much out of question because I'm in Netherlands and the return policy seems to be very strange compared to the US...
Try pressing really hard and hold it down for a period of time
Wiggle your thumb in a circular motion and it may remove whatever's between your button and sensor.
Or you could open her up
__________________
cMBP 13" i5 16GB ram 256 SSD, iPhone 5 32GB Black, iPad 1
blaake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:40 AM   #6
mikeydeezy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MN, USA
My "new" new iPad has the same problem.

I'm gonna try the push hard method when I get home.
mikeydeezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:22 AM   #7
Heresiarch
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaake View Post
Try pressing really hard and hold it down for a period of time
Wiggle your thumb in a circular motion and it may remove whatever's between your button and sensor.
Or you could open her up
I was pushing it hard this morning in the library...which was very quiet...

"SIRI NOT AVAILABLE. CONNECT TO THE INTERNET."

Man that was so embarassing.
Heresiarch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:52 AM   #8
blaake
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heresiarch View Post
I was pushing it hard this morning in the library...which was very quiet...

"SIRI NOT AVAILABLE. CONNECT TO THE INTERNET."

Man that was so embarassing.
Hahahahaha I hate when I do that
__________________
cMBP 13" i5 16GB ram 256 SSD, iPhone 5 32GB Black, iPad 1
blaake is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5S home button is making loud clicking noise yanathin iPhone 232 Sep 21, 2014 10:17 AM
iPhone 5C Screen making clicking/popping sounds markjcc iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Mar 6, 2014 02:47 PM
New iPhone 5C Home Button Clicking? Grahammichaelh iPhone 0 Nov 17, 2013 06:05 PM
iPhone 5s home button clicking nooaah iPhone 2 Nov 5, 2013 01:56 PM
iphone 5 home button double clicking pangelpip iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Dec 18, 2012 12:55 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC