Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heresiarch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Netherlands
After 5 days of usage, since yesterday, my iPhone 5 home key is making strange clicking noises. It happens when I put even the faintest pressure on it and then move my finger away. It feels like that the resisting mechanism in it becomes hyper sensitive to pressure. If I push it a little more harder or just push it for several times it will go away, but after a bit of time "cooling down" it'll come back. The home key otherwise is actually perfect in function and feels much more robust than my old 4/4s.

Now I'm really tempted to open up the screen just to check out what's wrong with the home key :(.

Sending it back is pretty much out of question because I'm in Netherlands and the return policy seems to be very strange compared to the US...

Heresiarch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Netherlands
The clicking sound is there even if I'm pushing it with a 0.1 Newton of pressure...

I''m living in Maastricht which means a trip to Amsterdam is 6-7 hours of traveling time in a day and €47 for a return ticket, which is not exactly an economic way for me to get rid of a "annoying" issue. And there's no assurance that worse things won't happen for a new phone like getting scuffgated or a worse home key. :(

I guess I need to live with it...

blaake

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2012
Florida
After 5 days of usage, since yesterday, my iPhone 5 home key is making strange clicking noises. It happens when I put even the faintest pressure on it and then move my finger away. It feels like that the resisting mechanism in it becomes hyper sensitive to pressure. If I push it a little more harder or just push it for several times it will go away, but after a bit of time "cooling down" it'll come back. The home key otherwise is actually perfect in function and feels much more robust than my old 4/4s.

Now I'm really tempted to open up the screen just to check out what's wrong with the home key :(.

Sending it back is pretty much out of question because I'm in Netherlands and the return policy seems to be very strange compared to the US...

Try pressing really hard and hold it down for a period of time
Wiggle your thumb in a circular motion and it may remove whatever's between your button and sensor.
Or you could open her up

Heresiarch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Netherlands
Try pressing really hard and hold it down for a period of time
Wiggle your thumb in a circular motion and it may remove whatever's between your button and sensor.
Or you could open her up

I was pushing it hard this morning in the library...which was very quiet...

"SIRI NOT AVAILABLE. CONNECT TO THE INTERNET."

Man that was so embarassing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.