Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:59 AM   #1
OSMac
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Close Up Screen Pixel Photos - Mini, 4, 2 and iPhone

Rene Ritchie took some Marco shots of a few of Apple's displays.

Interesting article :
http://www.imore.com/ipad-mini-vs-ip...-density-macro

IPad 2, Mini, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	886
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	375131  
OSMac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:00 AM   #2
tekno
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Means nothing.
tekno is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:04 AM   #3
michaeljohn
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
As the reviewer said "thru a macro lens". I am not aware of anyone who looks at any of their devices thru a macro lens or holds it a few inches from their face. Tests like these are beyond stupid and just pointless.
michaeljohn is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:26 AM   #4
children
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
Means nothing.
means a lot, seeing as though pixel density is the only downfall of the ipad mini
__________________
(r)MBP 15
(r)iPhone 5
(m)iPad
children is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:30 PM   #5
lianlua
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
I wish he had controlled for physical size in those photos. It is clear that they are not all taken of the same content, at the same zoom level, from the same distance. It's a non-scientific comparison.

It's not inaccurate, though.
lianlua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:59 PM   #6
saving107
macrumors 603
 
saving107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Jose, Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by children View Post
means a lot, seeing as though pixel density is the only downfall of the ipad mini
We've gotten by in life just fine with lower PPI displays up until now, I think I will be just fine with my iPad mini.
__________________
Instagram
YouTube
saving107 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:08 PM   #7
CandyNJ66
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by children View Post
means a lot, seeing as though pixel density is the only downfall of the ipad mini
Being 46, I had to make due with black & white TV, Colecovison, Atari, Nintendo etc. I wonder how kids today would deal with having those "ancient" pixels on their devices lol.
__________________
Ipad Air Space Grey 64GB Wifi
CandyNJ66 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:11 PM   #8
Southernboyj
macrumors 65816
 
Southernboyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mobile, AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by children View Post
means a lot, seeing as though pixel density and the color gamut is the only downfall of the ipad mini
I fixed it for you.
__________________
The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better'.. So I installed OS X.
Southernboyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:16 PM   #9
Joeymac1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Lol @ everybody who just bought a mini getting all defensive. But if it was another company's device with an inferior screen, would it still be so insignificant? People on this forum are hilarious.

Last edited by Joeymac1; Nov 5, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Joeymac1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:21 PM   #10
lianlua
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernboyj View Post
I fixed it for you.
The things people suddenly choose to care about.

A 62% gamut isn't bad. The iPhone 4 was praised for its gamut and calibration, both of which are matched here (while competing phones and tablets didn't, and in many cases, still don't exceed those figures). The color performance of the iPad mini actually beats the Nexus 7, even with the narrower gamut.

It's a huge mistake to reduce any comparison to a single point of reference. If you looked only at GPU performance, you'd never consider a Kindle or a Nexus. If you looked only at resolution, you'd never consider a mini. If you only cared about RAM size, iPads are out. If you only cared about NAND performance, Android as a whole is pretty much out. If you only cared about display accuracy, you'd only consider the iPad mini and the Kindle Fire HD.

You've got to look at the whole package. Most people here complaining about color gamut couldn't even define it. Maybe the whole package of the iPad mini isn't for you. Maybe it's too expensive and too low resolution. But it doesn't make it bad, just like my Kindle Fire HD's lackluster hardware and software performance doesn't make it bad on the whole.
lianlua is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:25 PM   #11
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040
 
rockyroad55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phila, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeymac1 View Post
Lol @ everybody who just bought a mini getting all defensive. But if it was another company's device with an inferior screen would it still be so insignificant. People on this forum are hilarious.
The mini isn't for everyone.
__________________
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.
rockyroad55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:59 PM   #12
Southernboyj
macrumors 65816
 
Southernboyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mobile, AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by lianlua View Post
The things people suddenly choose to care about.

A 62% gamut isn't bad. The iPhone 4 was praised for its gamut and calibration, both of which are matched here (while competing phones and tablets didn't, and in many cases, still don't exceed those figures). The color performance of the iPad mini actually beats the Nexus 7, even with the narrower gamut.

It's a huge mistake to reduce any comparison to a single point of reference. If you looked only at GPU performance, you'd never consider a Kindle or a Nexus. If you looked only at resolution, you'd never consider a mini. If you only cared about RAM size, iPads are out. If you only cared about NAND performance, Android as a whole is pretty much out. If you only cared about display accuracy, you'd only consider the iPad mini and the Kindle Fire HD.

You've got to look at the whole package. Most people here complaining about color gamut couldn't even define it. Maybe the whole package of the iPad mini isn't for you. Maybe it's too expensive and too low resolution. But it doesn't make it bad, just like my Kindle Fire HD's lackluster hardware and software performance doesn't make it bad on the whole.

While I agree you have to consider multiple things, you are wrong about your Nexus 7 comparisons. The Nexus 7 beats the Mini in both color accuracy and processing power. That being said, the Mini does have advantages over the Nexus.

Still though, you can't deny the colors of the Mini are noticeable less accurate than the iPad 3/4. Which to me, color accuracy is just as important as resolution.
__________________
The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better'.. So I installed OS X.
Southernboyj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:24 PM   #13
lianlua
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernboyj View Post
The Nexus 7 beats the Mini in both color accuracy and processing power.
No, color accuracy on the N7 is abysmal. Color gamut beats the iPad mini by a wide margin.

Processing power depends on what you're looking at and what you're defining as power.
Quote:
Still though, you can't deny the colors of the Mini are noticeable less accurate than the iPad 3/4. Which to me, color accuracy is just as important as resolution.
Sure I can. Calibration on both displays is excellent, with only the Fire HD comparing. Nexus 7 isn't even close. It's color range on the mini that isn't great.

Accuracy is fidelity to true color. Gamut is the size of the color space. A wider gamut makes it possible to express more colors (precision), but doesn't affect how often the display chooses the right color. That's what accuracy is.

Think of it like a map. Say you buried treasure at coordinates 34.31214 x 17.44679. You have two people with two different maps. Map A has a wide gamut (that is, can represent four decimal places) and Map B has a narrower gamut (can only work with three decimal places).

Map A marks the spot at 34.2994 x 17.4653. It's got the more detail, but it computed the coordinates incorrectly because its accuracy is lower.

Map B marks the spot at 34.312 x 17.447. It is much more accurate to the reference, just not as precise. That's what a narrower gamut does.

Map B is putting you much closer to where you want to be.
lianlua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:31 PM   #14
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020
 
gmanist1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by saving107 View Post
We've gotten by in life just fine with lower PPI displays up until now, I think I will be just fine with my iPad mini.
People just want a retina display because Apple is pushing us into a world of amazing displays. And the Mini lacks one.
gmanist1000 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:38 PM   #15
Deasnutz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad55 View Post
The mini isn't for everyone.
Mainly for those who can enjoy (or are unable to resist) gadgets with a dated PPI.

Is that grandma? No wait, maybe that's grandpa...shoot, get my ipad 3.
Deasnutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:41 PM   #16
Poochi
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deasnutz View Post
Mainly for those who can enjoy (or are unable to resist) gadgets with a dated PPI.

Is that grandma? No wait, maybe that's grandpa...shoot, get my ipad 3.
My folks coming from iPad 2 love the mini. I asked them about the sheitty screen and they told me it looks almost the same as the iPad 4 on display...
__________________
rMBP 15", iPhone 5S, iPad Air, iMac, Apple TV, Time Capsule
It all started with an iPod...
Poochi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:15 PM   #17
mcdj
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lianlua View Post
I wish he had controlled for physical size in those photos. It is clear that they are not all taken of the same content, at the same zoom level, from the same distance. It's a non-scientific comparison.

It's not inaccurate, though.
Not the same content/zoom/distance? They're Safari icons, which look exactly proportional to me.
mcdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:24 PM   #18
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040
 
rockyroad55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phila, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deasnutz View Post
Mainly for those who can enjoy (or are unable to resist) gadgets with a dated PPI.

Is that grandma? No wait, maybe that's grandpa...shoot, get my ipad 3.
Thanks for the disrespect along with a name that nobody can take seriously. I meant the mini isn't for everyone. What works for one person may not work for another. I'm not defending my mini. I like it, I can deal with the grandma PPI, I like that it fits in my jacket pocket easily, and that doesn't mean you have to. It's a dated PPI by Apple standards, but still perfectly usable. Get your head out of your ass.
__________________
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.
rockyroad55 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:08 AM   #19
lianlua
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
Not the same content/zoom/distance? They're Safari icons, which look exactly proportional to me.
The icons are fairly close in scale and obviously in content they're the same. I am referring especially to the line of text and comic book samples, which aren't proportional in any way (and the text samples are out of order to boot).

What a test like this needs is some semblance of control--a marker of scale in each photo so that we can verify the validity of results. The problem with selecting a macro zoom setting in which the iPad 3 and iPhone 5 are indiscernable from each other is that it stacks the deck from the outset. It's intellectually dishonest. At the distance(s) from which the photos were taken, the lens is keyed to resolve the iPad mini in full focus, as evidenced by it being the only one in which the pixel grid is visible across the entirety of the image. Therefore the pixels of the iPad 2 are slightly softened by being out of focus and the retina devices aren't being resolved at a level in which you can make a comparison.

I'm not saying there is any intent to misrepresent anything here, just that there has been no effort to put forward a scientific comparison.
lianlua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:32 AM   #20
wrkactjob
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London
I'm not concerned with the amount of pixels in Baracks or Mitts name, I just want to catch the headlines and check my mails.
wrkactjob is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:00 AM   #21
Phil A.
macrumors 68040
 
Phil A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Telford, UK
Like the old adage about the best camera being the one you have with you, the best iPad is the one you have with you! The sheer portability of the mini more than makes up for any issues with not having a retina display for me
Phil A. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:50 AM   #22
children
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by saving107 View Post
We've gotten by in life just fine with lower PPI displays up until now, I think I will be just fine with my iPad mini.
And
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyNJ66 View Post
Being 46, I had to make due with black & white TV, Colecovison, Atari, Nintendo etc. I wonder how kids today would deal with having those "ancient" pixels on their devices lol.

Then why is the retina MacBook, ipad, iPhone such a big deal? The omission is just as big of a deal as inclusion.

Oufourse, it matters less to some people (myself included) but it still is a big deal
__________________
(r)MBP 15
(r)iPhone 5
(m)iPad
children is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:06 AM   #23
klover
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
The mini screen looks like

klover is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:27 AM   #24
Deasnutz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by klover View Post
Ipad mini is majorly pixelated.
Deasnutz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:35 AM   #25
taipan61
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: corner starbucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by klover View Post
last i used any of my tablets (nexus7, mini, ipad3, transformer) i didn't have them squashed up against my nose.
if you like it buy it, if not then don't
while your point does have validity please don't go around and tell me what i can like or dislike
thank you
taipan61 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photos from iPhone 5s to iPad Mini R deaddisco iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Nov 26, 2013 09:10 AM
Zooming in close on photos? shiinx iPad Apps 0 Sep 22, 2013 01:53 AM
Just For Fun: Close up photos iPhone2G vs iPhone5 braddick iPhone 49 Oct 2, 2012 08:14 PM
Could a pixel doubled 8" iPhone screen work for an iPad mini? iZoom P5 iPad 4 Sep 23, 2012 07:29 AM
Weird super bright pixel spot on iPhone 5 screen ckeck iPhone 3 Sep 21, 2012 11:14 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps